Lost Internet Connection Followup Question

Hi:

I had a friend install Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta 1 on his Windows XP
Home Edition (SP1)computer. When he ran the scan it found some spyware which
he
fixed (deleted). Now he no longer can connect to the internet. He is using
Juno as his ISP with dial-up.

Frank Saunders replied:
After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you have
network-related
problems, or you receive an error message
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350

I sent Frank a follow-up question, but apparently he is out for the
holiday weekend. Since my friend above has Win XP SP1 and not SP2 installed
would it be better and/or easier to run either the LPSFix.exe or
WinsockxpFix.exe first. If so, which of these fixes should I try and run
first?

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about lost internet connection followup question

    You could've flipped a coin.

    Try one and if it doesn't work try the other.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OQenPmKZFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    ColTom2 <noemailaddress@none.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I had a friend install Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta 1 on his Windows XP
    > Home Edition (SP1)computer. When he ran the scan it found some spyware
    > which he
    > fixed (deleted). Now he no longer can connect to the internet. He is using
    > Juno as his ISP with dial-up.
    >
    > Frank Saunders replied:
    > After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you have
    > network-related
    > problems, or you receive an error message
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350
    >
    > I sent Frank a follow-up question, but apparently he is out for the
    > holiday weekend. Since my friend above has Win XP SP1 and not SP2
    > installed would it be better and/or easier to run either the LPSFix.exe or
    > WinsockxpFix.exe first. If so, which of these fixes should I try and run
    > first?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi Wesley:

    I am speaking of trying to run the fixes rather than the procedures
    outlined in kb892350 article, which are somewhat more complicated due to
    friend having SP1 installed and not SP2.

    If I try and run the fixes and they do not work can I still have the
    option of following the kb892350 procedures? I suppose I could back up the
    entire Registry and if fixes do not work then restore the Registry and then
    try the kb892350 procedures?

    Hope all this makes sense to you.

    Thanks,

    Tom

    > You could've flipped a coin.
    >
    > Try one and if it doesn't work try the other.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:OQenPmKZFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > ColTom2 <noemailaddress@none.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> I had a friend install Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta 1 on his Windows XP
    >> Home Edition (SP1)computer. When he ran the scan it found some spyware
    >> which he
    >> fixed (deleted). Now he no longer can connect to the internet. He is
    >> using
    >> Juno as his ISP with dial-up.
    >>
    >> Frank Saunders replied:
    >> After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you have
    >> network-related
    >> problems, or you receive an error message
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350
    >>
    >> I sent Frank a follow-up question, but apparently he is out for the
    >> holiday weekend. Since my friend above has Win XP SP1 and not SP2
    >> installed would it be better and/or easier to run either the LPSFix.exe
    >> or
    >> WinsockxpFix.exe first. If so, which of these fixes should I try and run
    >> first?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Yes, with SP1 this can be more complicated. So far this is the only reason
    that I can see to install SP2.

    Run WinsockFix first, LSP-Fix and then try to manually fix by following the
    instructions from one or all of the three following KB articles.

    Which you shouldn't have to do because WinsockFix or LSP-Fix ought to fix
    the problem.

    "Operation Was Attempted on Something That Is Not a Socket" Error Message
    When You Try to Obtain an IP Address
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];318584

    Error message when you try to connect to network: An operation was attempted
    on something that is not a socket
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B817571

    After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you have network-related
    problems, or you receive an error message
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350

    [If you have suddenly lost your Internet connection after removing spy-ware
    (such as NewDotNet, and Commonname) the following steps will help restore
    your connection. This works for Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP.

    1.) Download WinsockFix.zip. (by: Option^Explicit)
    http://members.shaw.ca/installations/WinsockFix.zip

    2.) UnZip WinsockFix.zip (Pay close attention to where the file is extracted
    to.)
    3.) Run WinsockFix.exe.
    4.) Click the Fix button.

    This program will clean up your TCP/IP connection and rebuild the database.
    After the program is complete, reboot and your problems should be resolved.
    ------

    The Winsockfix Utility will:
    1.) Detect your current Operating System
    2.) Release the IP address, taking you "Offline"
    3.) Reset the TCP stack using Netsh.exe (Windows XP only)
    4.) Delete the current Registry TCP and Winsock Values
    5.) Import new "Working" Registry Values
    6.) Backup any Current "Hosts" file
    7.) Replace the "Hosts" file with a default one

    Make sure that you Reboot the Computer!

    Here is a tutorial on how to...
    Using LSP-Fix to remove Spyware & Hijackers
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial59.html

    Scroll down to see it, do type anything in the Search box.

    [[If I try and run the fixes and they do not work can I still have the
    option of following the kb892350 procedures?]]

    Yes. But you shouldn't need to.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:usap7tKZFHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    ColTom2 <noemailaddress@none.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi Wesley:
    >
    > I am speaking of trying to run the fixes rather than the procedures
    > outlined in kb892350 article, which are somewhat more complicated due to
    > friend having SP1 installed and not SP2.
    >
    > If I try and run the fixes and they do not work can I still have the
    > option of following the kb892350 procedures? I suppose I could back up the
    > entire Registry and if fixes do not work then restore the Registry and
    > then try the kb892350 procedures?
    >
    > Hope all this makes sense to you.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom

    >> You could've flipped a coin.
    >>
    >> Try one and if it doesn't work try the other.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:OQenPmKZFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    >> ColTom2 <noemailaddress@none.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hi:
    >>>
    >>> I had a friend install Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta 1 on his Windows XP
    >>> Home Edition (SP1)computer. When he ran the scan it found some spyware
    >>> which he
    >>> fixed (deleted). Now he no longer can connect to the internet. He is
    >>> using
    >>> Juno as his ISP with dial-up.
    >>>
    >>> Frank Saunders replied:
    >>> After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you have
    >>> network-related
    >>> problems, or you receive an error message
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350
    >>>
    >>> I sent Frank a follow-up question, but apparently he is out for the
    >>> holiday weekend. Since my friend above has Win XP SP1 and not SP2
    >>> installed would it be better and/or easier to run either the LPSFix.exe
    >>> or
    >>> WinsockxpFix.exe first. If so, which of these fixes should I try and run
    >>> first?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    Hi Wesley:

    Your download site for WinsockFix.zip is no longer valid. Do you have
    another site?

    Thanks,

    Tom

> [...]
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:usap7tKZFHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > ColTom2 <noemailaddress@none.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hi Wesley:
    >>
    >> I am speaking of trying to run the fixes rather than the procedures
    >> outlined in kb892350 article, which are somewhat more complicated due to
    >> friend having SP1 installed and not SP2.
    >>
    >> If I try and run the fixes and they do not work can I still have the
    >> option of following the kb892350 procedures? I suppose I could back up
    >> the
    >> entire Registry and if fixes do not work then restore the Registry and
    >> then try the kb892350 procedures?
    >>
    >> Hope all this makes sense to you.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Tom

    >>> You could've flipped a coin.
    >>>
    >>> Try one and if it doesn't work try the other.

    Google provided this - (2 seconds) - searched winsockfix.zip
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257

    Just an observation, but you should encourage your friend to d/l and install
    SP2 - there's a dozen or so additional upgrades/fixes since which
    cannot/will not install without SP2 loaded first.

    HTH - Yabbadoo

    Here ya go, Tom

    http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip

    http://www.downloads.subratam.org/WinsockFix.zip

    http://www.snapfiles.com/dlnow/dlnow.dll?Inc=No&ID=107303

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eSb7hXLZFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> [...]
    >>
    >> [[If I try and run the fixes and they do not work can I still have the
    >> option of following the kb892350 procedures?]]
    >>
    >> Yes. But you shouldn't need to.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:usap7tKZFHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    >> ColTom2 <noemailaddress@none.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hi Wesley:
    >>>
    >>> I am speaking of trying to run the fixes rather than the procedures
    >>> outlined in kb892350 article, which are somewhat more complicated due to
    >>> friend having SP1 installed and not SP2.
    >>>
    >>> If I try and run the fixes and they do not work can I still have the
    >>> option of following the kb892350 procedures? I suppose I could back up
    >>> the
    >>> entire Registry and if fixes do not work then restore the Registry and

Internet Service Providers Microsoft Internet Connection Windows XP