Financial analyst convinced that....

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Barcelona samples are in the hands of partners. Our favorite rag is reporting that Henri Richard broke his rule and commented that Barceona wa coming ut of Fab 36 fine.

I guess a grain of salt is apropos considerng the source but I woul dhave to believe it only because R600 is not made at Fab 36 and hey actually showed an open system at their POV demo.

Linkage!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Henri Richard, senior executive marketing director at AMD, told the INQ

Stop there, no need to read beyond that point. :wink:

A BS peddler to a BS reporter.

I think that's screwed dude. Why is he lying? Why would it be to their advantage to lie? I think you guys need to get over your hate of AMD execs. I really don't understand. It's as if they raped your sister or something.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Yeah... well, I think that with a title like "AMD can fab Barcelonas, no probs at all" it makes it sound not too credible anyway. Not very professional sounding. I know people don't trust the Inq (for good reason) anyway.

But, I don't have anything against AMD execs.

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
I think that's screwed dude. Why is he lying? Why would it be to their advantage to lie? I think you guys need to get over your hate of AMD execs. I really don't understand. It's as if they raped your sister or something.

Henri did it before in very recent memory, I can't believe you still continue to have faith in that snake oil salesman. If he worked for Intel you'd be vilifying him. He LIED about R600 launching "top to bottom" in May, along with the infamous "We don't do soft launches" line. Then there was his recent debacle with the SpecINT benchmark version spat with Intel.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

'
Are you saying he inst lying in this case, or that he doesnt lie? If you're saying that he doesnt lie, I think we can dig up enough instances to disprove that theory. If you're saying he isnt lying in this case, because he has nothing to gain, i.e there is no "advantage", I disagree. To be gained is faith, stemming of the market share hemorage, job security, time etc etc etc. Henri has everything to gain by any lie he thinks he can get away with. With each day that passes, another server farm gets closer to needing to replaced or upgraded, another DTPC gets closer to obsolesence. Without a competative product, thats another sale that may be lost to Intel. Anything that can buy AMD time is good for AMD, and since he is employed by AMD, Henri.

Since Henri is a liar, how do you know he didnt rape anybodies sister? Because he said so? If he is a liar, then his word is not to be trusted, is it.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Yeah... well, I think that with a title like "AMD can fab Barcelonas, no probs at all" it makes it sound not too credible anyway. Not very professional sounding. I know people don't trust the Inq (for good reason) anyway.

But, I don't have anything against AMD execs.

Intel said they were having problems indirectly. It became a rumor. The rumor was addressed. I don't think you were the person who said "BS peddler", so it may be that you are feeling guilty.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Henri did it before in very recent memory, I can't believe you still continue to have faith in that snake oil salesman. If he worked for Intel you'd be vilifying him. He LIED about R600 launching "top to bottom" in May, along with the infamous "We don't do soft launches" line. Then there was his recent debacle with the SpecINT benchmark version spat with Intel.

You do realize that if you can't prove he lied that would be slanderous. I have no idea when the problem cropped up with the low-end cards, but it seemed like it was after he said that.

People also said AMD hyped R600 as a G80 killer, but I don't remember any statements other than 2 of them would do 1 TFLOP in an Opteron box.

There are very few snake-oil salesmen in VP seats. I still don't understand why you think they would lie. I mean, I can imagine anything but that is a little hard to buy.

I'm sorry you feel betrayed or lied to but maybe you shouldn't take this so seriously.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

I don't think anyone raped anyone -- this is a strange fascination you have with violent sex crimes.

Nonetheless, Twisted_Sister has a point ... there are examples a plenty of Henri Richard trying to sell snow cones to Eskimos.

I guess I must bring it up day after day after day, huhn? I guess this will be your new tact for awhile until your head explodes again.

It's OK. As long as there's CPU news you'll get a chance to do this.

Anyway, when have I villified any EXECUTIVE at Intel? A company is not people but people are the company.

It was simple enough. Rumor, response, lying. Wait, you threw that in. Never mind.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
... there are examples a plenty of Henri Richard trying to sell snow cones to Eskimos.

Hmmm... I thought he was trying to sell space heaters to Africans...

R600 & Tunsia 8O

(just joking folks... couldn't resist. The r600 is a decent card)

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
No doubt the R600 excuse was a lie. A month after release, only the 2900XT is available; that is not a "broad spectrum" of products. If only he had simply said the delay was to make high-end 2900's more widely available, we wouldn't be spotting a lie, as availability of 2900's has been pretty good.

Henri Richards counts as a public official, doesn't he? AMD is publicly traded. And this calling was justified.

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
You do realize that if you can't prove he lied that would be slanderous. I have no idea when the problem cropped up with the low-end cards, but it seemed like it was after he said that.
He claimed the top-to-bottom launch back in early April: The knowing misdirection

With fewer than six weeks to go before the launch, he would have known exactly which products were ready to go and which were still having problems. He surely knew that 65-nm R600 wouldn't be ready in May. Yet he still said:
"But if you think about it, looking at where the market is at, the volumes are going to be in the RV610 and RV630, so it makes sense for us to do a one time launch of the entire family of DX10 enabled products".

In that statement he didn't exactly lie. He left himself some wiggle room by not categorically stating that R600 would be a hard launch. But then a week later during the Q1 CC he turned it into a blatant lie:

-----------------------------
Gurinder Kalra - Bear Stearns
Would you expect to have substantive quantities of product available at the launch?

Henri P. Richard
Absolutely. We do not do soft launches.

Thank you.

By then all the execs CERTAINLY knew that 65-nm R600 wasn't ready. Of course neither Hector nor Dirk stepped in to clarify Henri's statement, so they're just as culpable as he is. As it turned out, the 65-nm R600 products were paper launched a month later.

I'm sorry you feel betrayed or lied to but maybe you shouldn't take this so seriously.
I don't feel betrayed, I've just never cared much for Henri. I've always felt that his responses to interview questions were slick and evasive. I guess that's the fine art of a dyed-in-the-wool salesman whose secondary role is to keep the stock price shored up. AMD could use a more direct salesman. IMO he's one of the reasons the company is floundering today. Slickness doesn't foster customer loyalty.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
He claimed the top-to-bottom launch back in early April: The knowing misdirection

With fewer than six weeks to go before the launch, he would have known exactly which products were ready to go and which were still having problems. He surely knew that 65-nm R600 wouldn't be ready in May. Yet he still said:
"But if you think about it, looking at where the market is at, the volumes are going to be in the RV610 and RV630, so it makes sense for us to do a one time launch of the entire family of DX10 enabled products".

In that statement he didn't exactly lie. He left himself some wiggle room by not categorically stating that R600 would be a hard launch. But then a week later during the Q1 CC he turned it into a blatant lie:

Would you expect to have substantive quantities of product available at the launch?

Henri P. Richard
Absolutely. We do not do soft launches.

Thank you.

By then all the execs CERTAINLY knew that 65-nm R600 wasn't ready. Of course neither Hector nor Dirk stepped in to clarify Henri's statement, so they're just as culpable as he is. As it turned out, the 65-nm R600 products were paper launched a month later.

I don't feel betrayed, I've just never cared much for Henri. I've always felt that his responses to interview questions were slick and evasive. I guess that's the fine art of a dyed-in-the-wool salesman whose secondary role is to keep the stock price shored up. AMD could use a more direct salesman. IMO he's one of the reasons the company is floundering today. Slickness doesn't foster customer loyalty.

In his defense, perhaps they weren't as hands-on with the ATi division as they could have been. ATi has a reputation for bad launches while AMD doesn't. (Brisbane was overseas first)

Maybe a few heads rolled because of this. I don't know but again I was just reporting the news and am not really that concerned.

The Barcelona story will advance next week. There have been reports of several manufs having RV630/610 chips for Computex also.

Maybe we'll even see more of Griffin. They do have prototype boxes. I would like to see how many movies can play on battery.

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006

Actually, if anything, it would be libel, not slander, because it's in print.

You potentially slander someone if you are recorded or overheard saying something untrue about someone.

You libel someone if you print something about their character that is untrue.

As an aside -- speaking as someone in the publishing industry whose job security depends in part on not allowing any such mistakes that would result in my publication being sued -- I think ritesh_laud is perfectly safe from legal action in this instance.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
In defense of Henri... who here wouldn't be tempted to bend the truth a little for a job that pays $3.4 MILLION per year in compensation 8O

I wouldn't, but I can understand the temptation.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
My sister is willing to testify in court that Henri raped her. In exchange for a real Barcy benchmark! :lol:

lmao.

That is creepy, but I agree.
The captain is ALWAYS creepy. But, I have to admit that's pretty funny. :lol:

sailer

Splendid
In defense of Henri... who here wouldn't be tempted to bend the truth a little for a job that pays $3.4 MILLION per year in compensation 8O

I wouldn't, but I can understand the temptation.

3.4 million? Yeah, I think I'd be tempted. Might even have to go someplace and confess my sins or something. Then I'd buy a bigger boat and find someplace to hide from all the angry people who believed me.

Or would they be so stupid that they would believe another slightly bent truth so I could get another 3.4 million? Fanboys anyone?

sailer

Splendid
My sister is willing to testify in court that Henri raped her. In exchange for a real Barcy benchmark! :lol:

lmao.

Does the Captain even have a sister? Or is he meaning some woman he met on a street corner who said "Sure, I'll be your sister if you want. Whatever your pleasure."

Sorry Captain, don't mean to imply anything that might damage your reputation. :wink:

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004

lmao.

This is so true.

It is a refreshing sense of offbeat humor that keeps us on our toes and our minds in the gutter.