How to find out what XP im using

gumby1

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Here is my situation.

I have a computer. It was given to me. It has a legit copy of windows XP pro on it. I do not have a cd or dvd for windows XP pro. I am trying to find one so i can do a fresh install but I need to know what type of copy I have on this machine. How can I tell if this copy is an upgrade license, OEM, or retail? I have the serial number and it has 5 sets of 5 numbers XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX there is no OEM in the serial number. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

If you are doing a fresh install of a Windows OS, the prior installation of the Windows OS has no bering on the planned fresh installation. You are wiping the hard drive clean to do a fresh installation. Doesn't matter if the prior version is Retail or OEM as you will be reformatting the HD in order to do a 'fresh' installation of the Operating system. What does matter is the motherboard drivers. The proper chipset/system drivers will have to be reinstalled including sound, ethernet, chipset, etc. Try and find the product page for the machine online. Perhaps the MB drivers and utilities are downloadable there. You can do a 'fresh' installation of any 32 bit version of Windows XP you may buy. But XP will not provide all the proper MB drivers needed.

EDIT: In some instances, you can contact the system Mfg. and buy a replacement system CD for like $20.

gumby1

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

I was under the impression that if I have a OEM version of windows then in order to do a fresh install then I will need to find a OEM CD. My question is how can I tell if I have a OEM, retail or upgrade serial so that I can get the correct CD to do my reinstall.

I was under the impression that if I have a OEM version of windows then in order to do a fresh install then I will need to find a OEM CD.

No, an OEM CD is not required to do a 'fresh' install 'over' a previous OEM installation. No need to go out an buy a retail CD unless you specifically need Microsoft phone/online support related to the OS. OEM does not allow this kind of M$ support.

My question is how can I tell if I have a OEM, retail or upgrade serial so that I can get the correct CD to do my reinstall.

If the system is from a builder like HP, DELL,etc. it is an OEM. Again, if you are doing a 'fresh' install it does not matter if you buy a retail, OEM or upgrade. The 'fresh' installation of the new windows CD has no bering on what OS was previously installed.

Example. I have VISTA 64 Ultimate OEM installed on this machine. I decide to a reinstall. It makes no difference if I go out and buy a Retail version or an OEM version to install 'fresh'. Your sytem consists of the following basic hardware. CPU, RAM, MB, HD and PSU. The hardware could care less (Ha) if you install an OEM, Retail or upgrade version of an OS on it! ;) Neither does the previos version that you will be wiping out.

gumby1

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

So If I find any copy of Windows XP Pro I can use that serial number and do a fresh install? No matter if I get a OEM, upgrade or retail version?

gumby1

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
when i say that serial number i mean the one that is on the computer now. I can wipe that OS out and use that serial number that is registered to a XP pro and install. So I can borrow one from somebody is what your saying and put that serial number that I got off of the computer.

YES!!! BUT!!!! When you do a fresh installation on the machine. You will only have the FRESH installation of the OPERATING SYSTEM on the hard drive. Now. Your system/MB/chipset has specific drivers it will require that Windows XP OS will not provide. Like, your ethernet driver, sound driver, chipset driver (on the MB) will not have a driver. Windows XP does not provide that driver. SO. You will have to find the system product page online and download and install those system drivers.

Note: Sytem utilities could be downloaded and installed from the Product page also. If you have no system drivers provided online. You can call the system Mfg. and inquire about buying a replacement system CD. Or you can go to the online product pages of each component on the MB that does not have a driver installed. Don't mean to complicate.

when i say that serial number i mean the one that is on the computer now.

That serial number on the computer now has nothing to do with the serial number on the new windows OS disk you will be buying/installing. The old serial number will be wioped out when you do a 'fresh' install with the new disk and new serial number.

I can wipe that OS out and use that serial number that is registered to a XP pro and install.

Yes, the new Windows OS (OEM or Retail) will have it's own serial number. The old number will no longer be used. The OLD xp pro serial number can not be used with the NEW copy of windows you will be installing. The NEW copy has it's own unique serial number.

So I can borrow one from somebody is what your saying and put that serial number that I got off of the computer

NO. You can borrow one, but if you install that CD you will have to use the serail number that came with THAT CD. YOur old serial number will not work on someone's else copy of Windows XP.

gumby1

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

I do apologize I'm not trying to act like a noob. The reason I keep trying to clarify is because I have people telling me that if I want to use my serial number that is registered on this machine then I have to find out if its an upgrade retail or OEM version of windows. If I dont then if it comes out to be a retail version and I borrowed a OEM version from a friend then that serial wont work when I try to install windows because that specific number is for a retail version of windows. Have I been misinformed?

also for future reference because what I would like to do is use that serial number and put it on a new build. I have been told that I will have to call microsoft for that but for now I would like to just find a cd from someone and use the serial number that i already have and do a fresh install.

Thanks for being patient with me...

Sorry, if you want to do a 'fresh' installation of Windows XP on that machine you have a couple of basic choices:

1. Buy a new copy of Windows XP and install that CD 'fresh'. That new copy will have it's own unique serial number. The old serial number has nothing to do with anytthing at that point. We are clear.

2. You have a prebuilt system. A Windows XP OEM builder's version of XP Pro was installed when sold. You do not have the CD that contains the original XP installation and matching serial number still on the machine. So, you can not 'reinstall' ANY copy of Windows XP and use THAT original Windows XP serial number on your system now.

You could possibly contact the builder and get a replacement system CD with replacement OS. You could possibly call M$ and ask. They will tell you what I told you, you need the original CD to use the serial # that is on the machine now. Now, I have had a similiar problem years ago and Microsoft sent me a brand spanking new copy of Windows XP in the mail. EDIT: With it's brand spanking new unique serial number.

gumby1

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

Well that sucks...So the CD is linked to the serial number? Thats pretty crappy. I guess all the things I have been told is incorrect about being able to use a legit serial number.

gumby1

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

service pack 3

It gives the serial number. OP's has an OEM version of Windows XP if a system builder built it. OP's question about if He has an OEM or Retail version is irrelivent to what He is trying to do. Which is use his current Windows XP serial number in conjunction with a new Windows XP installation CD other than the original CD with the matching serial number.

EDIT: Sorry: My bad. It gives the version number. Which can not help OP.

mangoletsi

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Gumby1

Is that all it says no build numbers what so ever?
What about lower down at hardware abstraction layer, any build numbers down there?

gumby1

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

I went to winver
it says build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236