Anyone heard of Black crush effect off DVD Players?

After I started using component video off my Toshiba DVD player into an
Infocus 7205, the black portions of film tend to go 'wierd'. Its hard
to describe but appears to loose all definition and almost looks
'negative' like in appearance. You can put the player into one of many
different picture enhancement modes like film1, film2 etc which helps,
but then look un-naturally bright.
Is this a common problem with many DVD players?
What causes it?
Is there a proper name for this effect?

Strange thing is it is not as noticable, if at all, when using s-video!

It was the same on my old Infocus x1 projector also so im'e convinced
its the DVD player.
2 answers Last reply
More about anyone heard black crush effect players

    "Gazchurchend" <gary.rogers@staticsystems.co.uk> wrote in message
    > After I started using component video off my Toshiba DVD player into an
    > Infocus 7205, the black portions of film tend to go 'wierd'. Its hard
    > to describe but appears to loose all definition and almost looks
    > 'negative' like in appearance. You can put the player into one of many
    > different picture enhancement modes like film1, film2 etc which helps,
    > but then look un-naturally bright.
    > Is this a common problem with many DVD players?
    > What causes it?
    > Is there a proper name for this effect?
    >
    > Strange thing is it is not as noticable, if at all, when using s-video!
    >
    > It was the same on my old Infocus x1 projector also so im'e convinced
    > its the DVD player.

    Sounds like a video processor in your DVD player is pooping out.

    The good news is, they're now cheap.

    Buy one. If it solves the problem, cool, if not, return it.

    I recommend the Sony. Good players, quick response to commands, no lockups.

    Pagan

    I wonder if you're running into an issue with "blacker than black"
    levels. See:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=235+blacker+NTSC

    There is also discussion over in www.avsforum.com on this same
    topic.

    Thomas Gilg

HDTV DVD Players Video Components Home Theatre