Turn off Zip reading?

It takes FOREVER to open this folder of mine with zip files.
Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?
Can I turn that off?
Thanks.
-Pete
8 answers Last reply
More about turn reading

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
    Scroll down to...

    Stop Search from Scanning ZIP files:

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:lqtme.891$4u.835@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,
    Pete <Pete@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
    > It takes FOREVER to open this folder of mine with zip files.
    > Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?
    > Can I turn that off?
    > Thanks.
    > -Pete

    Of course the zip file has to be read before it can be opened. The zip file
    is the container. You have to open the container to see the contents. It has
    been that way since about 1993.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > It takes FOREVER to open this folder of mine with zip files.
    > Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?
    > Can I turn that off?
    > Thanks.
    > -Pete

    Thanks, but I am unable to follow the directions! I am no expert. I don't
    even know how windows "registers" a dll. Maybe you can help me follow these
    directions:

    "Stop Search from Scanning ZIP files:

    Un-register the zip and cab file dlls, then re-register them after that.

    Before Search:
    regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll
    regsvr32 /u cabview.dll

    After Search:
    regsvr32 cabview.dll
    regsvr32 zipfldr.dll
    "

    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
    > Scroll down to...
    >
    > Stop Search from Scanning ZIP files:
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:lqtme.891$4u.835@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,
    > Pete <Pete@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > It takes FOREVER to open this folder of mine with zip files.
    > > Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?
    > > Can I turn that off?
    > > Thanks.
    > > -Pete

    Wesley,
    I follwed the instruction ("Start - Run" the dll's), but it didn't help.
    It's only this ONE directory that gives me problems. It's the directory
    where my backup progrem (Argentum) stories its zip files and directories.
    I have other directories with zip files which are no problem.
    -Pete

    > Of course the zip file has to be read before it can be opened. The zip
    > file is the container. You have to open the container to see the contents.
    > It has been that way since about 1993.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> It takes FOREVER to open this folder of mine with zip files.
    >> Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?
    >> Can I turn that off?
    >> Thanks.
    >> -Pete

    Thanks (I think). But I am not talking about viewing the contents.

    I believe I answered your question as you stated it. See below for reprint
    of your question.

    "Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?"

    As I indicated, the files MUST be read in order to open the folder! It's
    been this way since 1993!

    --

    >> Of course the zip file has to be read before it can be opened. The zip
    >> file is the container. You have to open the container to see the
    >> contents. It has been that way since about 1993.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >>
    >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    >> "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> It takes FOREVER to open this folder of mine with zip files.
    >>> Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?
    >>> Can I turn that off?
    >>> Thanks.
    >>> -Pete
    >>>

    > Thanks (I think). But I am not talking about viewing the contents.

    Can't you read or type? You can do it in Start - Run (we won't take chances here Start is the button at bottom left of screen - you do know the difference between left/right and top/bottom I hope). Consider investing in a notebook AND PENCIL.

    "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message news:xXEme.416$rL7.84@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
    > Thanks, but I am unable to follow the directions! I am no expert. I don't
    > even know how windows "registers" a dll. Maybe you can help me follow these
    > directions:
    >

    > "Stop Search from Scanning ZIP files:
    >
    > Un-register the zip and cab file dlls, then re-register them after that.
    >
    > Before Search:
    > regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll
    > regsvr32 /u cabview.dll
    >
    > After Search:
    > regsvr32 cabview.dll
    > regsvr32 zipfldr.dll
    > "

    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
    > > Scroll down to...
    > >
    > > Stop Search from Scanning ZIP files:
    > >

    > > --
    > > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >
    > > Wes
    > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >
    > > In news:lqtme.891$4u.835@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,
    > > Pete <Pete@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > > It takes FOREVER to open this folder of mine with zip files.
    > > > Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?
    > > > Can I turn that off?
    > > > Thanks.
    > > > -Pete

    David:
    I don't know why I'm answering, but it was the "Start-Run" that I didn't
    think of. I thought I was supposed to use a registery utility, drop to dos,
    or something exotic. Most of us are just users who don't worry about these
    things.
    -Pete

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    Can't you read or type? You can do it in Start - Run (we won't take chances
    here Start is the button at bottom left of screen - you do know the
    difference between left/right and top/bottom I hope). Consider investing in
    a notebook AND PENCIL.

    "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, but I am unable to follow the directions! I am no expert. I don't
    > even know how windows "registers" a dll. Maybe you can help me follow
    > these
    > directions:
    >

    > "Stop Search from Scanning ZIP files:
    >
    > Un-register the zip and cab file dlls, then re-register them after that.
    >
    > Before Search:
    > regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll
    > regsvr32 /u cabview.dll
    >
    > After Search:
    > regsvr32 cabview.dll
    > regsvr32 zipfldr.dll
    > "

    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
    > > Scroll down to...
    > >
    > > Stop Search from Scanning ZIP files:
    > >

    > > --
    > > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >
    > > Wes
    > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >
    > > In news:lqtme.891$4u.835@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,
    > > Pete <Pete@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > > It takes FOREVER to open this folder of mine with zip files.
    > > > Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?
    > > > Can I turn that off?
    > > > Thanks.
    > > > -Pete

Microsoft Zip Windows XP