  • Microsoft
  • Zip
  • Windows XP
May 30, 2005 4:49:21 AM

It takes FOREVER to open this folder of mine with zip files.
Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?
Can I turn that off?
Thanks.
-Pete

More about : turn zip reading

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:49:22 AM

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
Scroll down to...

Stop Search from Scanning ZIP files:

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:lqtme.891$4u.835@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,
Pete <Pete@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> It takes FOREVER to open this folder of mine with zip files.
> Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?
> Can I turn that off?
> Thanks.
> -Pete
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:49:22 AM

Of course the zip file has to be read before it can be opened. The zip file
is the container. You have to open the container to see the contents. It has
been that way since about 1993.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
> It takes FOREVER to open this folder of mine with zip files.
> Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?
> Can I turn that off?
> Thanks.
> -Pete

Related resources
May 30, 2005 5:55:41 PM

Thanks, but I am unable to follow the directions! I am no expert. I don't
even know how windows "registers" a dll. Maybe you can help me follow these
directions:

"Stop Search from Scanning ZIP files:

Un-register the zip and cab file dlls, then re-register them after that.

Before Search:
regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll
regsvr32 /u cabview.dll

After Search:
regsvr32 cabview.dll
regsvr32 zipfldr.dll
"

news:o XoWLULZFHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
> Scroll down to...
>
> Stop Search from Scanning ZIP files:
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:lqtme.891$4u.835@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,
> Pete <Pete@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> > It takes FOREVER to open this folder of mine with zip files.
> > Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?
> > Can I turn that off?
> > Thanks.
> > -Pete
May 31, 2005 2:35:44 AM

Wesley,
I follwed the instruction ("Start - Run" the dll's), but it didn't help.
It's only this ONE directory that gives me problems. It's the directory
where my backup progrem (Argentum) stories its zip files and directories.
I have other directories with zip files which are no problem.
-Pete

news:o XoWLULZFHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
> Scroll down to...
>
> Stop Search from Scanning ZIP files:
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:lqtme.891$4u.835@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,
> Pete <Pete@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
>> It takes FOREVER to open this folder of mine with zip files.
>> Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?
>> Can I turn that off?
>> Thanks.
>> -Pete
May 31, 2005 2:41:39 AM

> Of course the zip file has to be read before it can be opened. The zip
> file is the container. You have to open the container to see the contents.
> It has been that way since about 1993.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> It takes FOREVER to open this folder of mine with zip files.
>> Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?
>> Can I turn that off?
>> Thanks.
>> -Pete

Thanks (I think). But I am not talking about viewing the contents.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 2:41:40 AM

I believe I answered your question as you stated it. See below for reprint
of your question.

"Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?"

As I indicated, the files MUST be read in order to open the folder! It's
been this way since 1993!

--

news:D EMme.1184$iA6.1122@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...

>> Of course the zip file has to be read before it can be opened. The zip
>> file is the container. You have to open the container to see the
>> contents. It has been that way since about 1993.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

>> "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> It takes FOREVER to open this folder of mine with zip files.
>>> Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?
>>> Can I turn that off?
>>> Thanks.
>>> -Pete
>>>

> Thanks (I think). But I am not talking about viewing the contents.

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:19:55 AM

Can't you read or type? You can do it in Start - Run (we won't take chances here Start is the button at bottom left of screen - you do know the difference between left/right and top/bottom I hope). Consider investing in a notebook AND PENCIL.

"Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message news:xXEme.416$rL7.84@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
> Thanks, but I am unable to follow the directions! I am no expert. I don't
> even know how windows "registers" a dll. Maybe you can help me follow these
> directions:
>

> "Stop Search from Scanning ZIP files:
>
> Un-register the zip and cab file dlls, then re-register them after that.
>
> Before Search:
> regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll
> regsvr32 /u cabview.dll
>
> After Search:
> regsvr32 cabview.dll
> regsvr32 zipfldr.dll
> "

> news:o XoWLULZFHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
> > Scroll down to...
> >
> > Stop Search from Scanning ZIP files:
> >

> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >
> > Wes
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > In news:lqtme.891$4u.835@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,
> > Pete <Pete@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> > > It takes FOREVER to open this folder of mine with zip files.
> > > Is XP trying to read the zip files before it opens the directory?
> > > Can I turn that off?
> > > Thanks.
> > > -Pete

May 31, 2005 6:19:56 AM

David:
I don't know why I'm answering, but it was the "Start-Run" that I didn't
think of. I thought I was supposed to use a registery utility, drop to dos,
or something exotic. Most of us are just users who don't worry about these
things.
-Pete

!