Thermal compound on stock heatsink question

saint_seiya

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
Hey guys im new here and had a bit of a problem earlier today while stupidly taking out the heatsink from the box. my index finger accidentally touched the thermal compound on the stock heatsink , heres a pic:

is this going to be a problem? any advice? i dont have any as3 with me right now :(

Thnx! btw this is the heatsink of an AMD Athlon x2 6000+

jjnguy13

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Heh, that shouldn't be a problem at all....

The HSF and CPU are much less fragile than you would think. My thermal paste is almost gone 'cuz I had wiped my whole hand on it,(granted I have horrible temps) but it still runs w/out problems. When I first installed my CPU i curiously touched the stuff, and my computer ran great until I tried to take it apart again.

Don't worry about a tiny smudge. When the CPU gets hot, the stuff will spread out evenly.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Thats enough TIM for about 6-7 of my builds.
I always use an as little as I can...a thin film that lets me see the parts it is on.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Throw it away NOW! Your pc will turn into a fireball if you so much as approach it with that.. ;)

DUde it will be fine, one place i bought a pc from actually put a piece of plastic in my paste to see whether or not i was removing the heat sink. And as you can tell i WAS. You will have to replace that stuff eventually so don't worry, though mine has lasted 3 years and i am on AI overclocking. But if you really want to get good cooling get an aftermarket and some cool lab liquid. You will be fine, just don't get anything flammable in it and no problem . When you push it on the mark will come out and any oil from your finger will evaporate. no sweat.

*not responsible for crappy advice. :)

You will be fine. your cpu might not be ;)

saint_seiya

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
thnx guys for the comments. another question i have is that is that i ordered a combo package on newegg, a gtx8800GTx and a rosewill 850w psu. Im using a rosewill 550w psu right now on this pc and been using it for 2 years now and my pc is always on so i figured it is a good psu. the reason i decided to go with this combo was due to the fact that my rosewill psu has lasted me this good without problems but now im starting to think if maybe i should return the new 850w i ordered once it gets here. I havent finished building it yet because the psu aint here yet. UPS should be stopying by soon, but is there a way to know if a psu is good or bad without installing it with the mobo and all the rest? thnx

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
just use a razor blade to smooth out that finger print.

and there is a way to jump the pins on a PSU so you can turn it on just by itself. theres a thread on toms about it. if i remember right you jump the green wire to a ground (black) witha paper clip and turn on the psu. google it for a reference if you cant find the toms thread.

i also have been using a Rosewill 550 for about a year and i like it alot. handles OC's just fine. I got the Blue mirror finished one with blue LED fans. looks really nice too.

saint_seiya

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
im gonna try buidling the whole thing and powering it, im gonna take my chances because as far as i know even the best brand of psu's tend to fail .