Company of Heroes Direct X10 patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
As anxious as I am to try some dx10 gaming I'm not sure if I want to reinstall a game I finished with last year. Someone who has tried this please feedback if the differences are significant.

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
What features are added?

New DX10 features: 10% FPS reduction and 0% visual candy added.
I would check but I can't.

Another Vista hater. :)

Somehow I very much doubt your comment is true.

DX10 games often show slightly lower frame rates in tests than DX9 games but this is simply because there are more objects, detail and particle effects on the screen not because DX10 slows the system down. Try rendering those same effects on DX9 then see where your frame rate is.

Actually, I installed Vista on my laptop, and generally, its very nice.

I run into issues that bother me big time, such as the whole networking control panel. Hate it.

Also: ipconfig /release from the command prompt doesn't work. haven't had the time to look up all the little things... but as far as functionally goes, i am not impressed. .... Yet.

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
I've had no problems but I must admit I'm on an entirely new pc so hardware compatability isn't an issue. Networking was so good on my pc that I didn't even have to install my firewalled router, it autodetected everything and before I could even think of putting in IP's etc, I found it working perfectly, Vista had set the whole thing up for me!!!

Another Vista hater. :)

Somehow I very much doubt your comment is true.

DX10 games often show slightly lower frame rates in tests than DX9 games but this is simply because there are more objects, detail and particle effects on the screen not because DX10 slows the system down. Try rendering those same effects on DX9 then see where your frame rate is.

I didn't take his statment as Vista hating (which he said it wasn't after) I naturally took it like he had read FiringSquad's the Lost Planet review and/or played the Demo;

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/lost_planet_demo_directx_10_performance/

Essentially low visual improvement, big performance hit (due to DX10 not vista).

Most other reviews support this view too.
Some nice additional effects, but not much of a difference to warrant the performance hit.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
You're the kind of person that give A+ card holders a bad name. The command works fine in Vista. I think you had an ID10T error...

I think that I may have to install it and check it out.

fullmetal001

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
well i dont really notice a difference but the performance is an issue with dx10... agin, i was running fraps in vista with all settings to max but with dx9c and it played fine, now i tryed dx10 and the performance droped to jumpy state- also for some reason fraps doesent display a fp/s on the screen....

but as for looks of the game... no different at all!, shame really....

(all of this testing is performned with vista ultimate all updated and the newest nvidea drivers on a e4300, 2gb ram, 8800GTS 320mb, res. 1680*1050, game settings all on highest [not ultra])

Fullmetal

Lazarus7

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I just ran a real quick savegame before heading into work after applying the patch and I can notice a bit of difference, especially when you get a few tanks in battle and the explosions fly thick and fast.

I didn't notice a performance hit at all, perhaps dx10 likes lots of video ram.

Running at 1680x1050 with everything on ultra.

Specs are:
xfx 680i SLI mobo
xfx 8800gtx xxx edition
OCZ 4gb ram pc6400 @4-4-4-12
x-fi xtremegamer
e6700 @ 3.33ghz
2x150gb raptor raid 0

I'm just pumped about having run my first dx10 game. :D

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
wow it looks amazing :lol: but i guess dx9 looks almost the same :d i want screen of dx9 and dx10 so i can compare :D ffs.. those sandbags looks nice.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Those game who are not a complete Dx10 is killing Dx10 concept atm. I just saw a post with some benchmark comparing to Dx9 with picture comparaison at: http://www.forumplanet.com/planetcompanyofheroes/topic.asp?fid=19917&tid=2060666

To be honest its really ugly in dx10 if you compare those screen with a game that coming and use a complete Dx10 engine like Unreal 3, Crysis, Bioshock, Hellgates London. Like Lost planet and Call of Juarez, there nothing really changed in graphic except some effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.