Internet access command

Tim

Does a command exist to stop Quake 3 from searching for an Internet
connection when launching the game? Thanks in advance.

"Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does a command exist to stop Quake 3 from searching for an Internet
> connection when launching the game? Thanks in advance.

Hitting the space bar works for me..... Or not hitting multiplayer. What
exactly are you asking?

Tim

"OscartheGrouch" <tondaleo@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Does a command exist to stop Quake 3 from searching for an Internet
> > connection when launching the game? Thanks in advance.
> >
> Hitting the space bar works for me..... Or not hitting multiplayer. What
> exactly are you asking?

Upon launching Quake 3 my firewall (ZoneAlarm) intercepts the game
attempting to access the Internet, it then displays a dialog box asking
permission to let Quake 3 "through". This occurs by just starting the game,
before you even reach the main menu. I know I can set ZA to grant Quake 3
access, but I'd rather stop Quake 3 from trying to access the 'net at all.
I'm only interested in Q3's single player mode anyway. Is there a command
that I can add to a configuration file, or to my Q3 shortcut command line,
to achieve this? If I'm not mistaken Half Life has a similar command called
"-noip", hoping there's an equivalent for Q3.

"Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2ghsk6F2v4pbU1@uni-berlin.de...
> Does a command exist to stop Quake 3 from searching for an Internet
> connection when launching the game? Thanks in advance.

If you never want to play online try disabling punkbuster, or even updating it. early versions of PB
used to hang my quake with a grey screen if it couldn't connect to it's server.

---

Tim

"Geribaldy" <reply@ddressnotvalid.now> wrote in message

> If you never want to play online try disabling punkbuster, or even
updating it. early versions of PB
> used to hang my quake with a grey screen if it couldn't connect to it's
server.

Thanks for the help, Q3 still tries to access a network at startup though.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Tim wrote:

> Upon launching Quake 3 my firewall (ZoneAlarm) intercepts the game
> attempting to access the Internet, it then displays a dialog box
> asking permission to let Quake 3 "through". This occurs by just
> starting the game, before you even reach the main menu. I know I can
> set ZA to grant Quake 3 access, but I'd rather stop Quake 3 from
> trying to access the 'net at all. I'm only interested in Q3's single
> player mode anyway. Is there a command that I can add to a
> configuration file, or to my Q3 shortcut command line, to achieve
> this? If I'm not mistaken Half Life has a similar command called
> "-noip", hoping there's an equivalent for Q3.

look in your q3config.cfg file in the baseq folder and look for lines
seta net_noudp and seta net_noipx put these values to "1" and it may stop it

You may have to put these commands into the command line of your q3 icon

Right click your q3 shortcut icon,select properties and in the target box it
reads something like this "C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\quake3.exe"
obviously with your path to q3.

change the line to "C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\quake3.exe" +set
net_noudp 1 +set net_noipx 1

Tim

"John" <john@btnospam.com> wrote in message

> look in your q3config.cfg file in the baseq folder and look for lines
> seta net_noudp and seta net_noipx put these values to "1" and it may stop
it

> You may have to put these commands into the command line of your q3 icon
>
> Right click your q3 shortcut icon,select properties and in the target box
it
> reads something like this "C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\quake3.exe"
> obviously with your path to q3.
>
> change the line to "C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\quake3.exe" +set
> net_noudp 1 +set net_noipx 1

Thanks for your help. I tried your suggestions but Q3 is still trying to
gain network access upon launch. Maybe that's because single player is
still networked, even if it's just to the same computer. Hope I'm wrong
though.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

There should be a checkbox in the ZoneAlarm question popup that says
something like "Remember the answer". The next time it asks that, check the
box and it won't ask again, it'll just remember whether you clicked Yes or
No. The other option is to open the ZoneAlarm console and go to the
Programs tab. In there, you can find the entry for the Quake exe and click
the option boxes on its line so that they are set to deny access (red X's).