Sign in with
Your question

How do I upgrade to 64-bit Vista?

Last response: in Windows Vista
July 3, 2009 1:43:13 PM

I just put together a PC with a Phenom II 810 with an AM3 socket. That means I have a 64-bit PC, right?

Well, I have 32-bit Vista Home Premium installed...Is there a way for me to upgrade to 64-bit in the cheapest way possible (like a download or CD or DVD image from MSFT)??

More about : upgrade bit vista

July 3, 2009 2:46:08 PM

To upgrade your OS, you have to purchase the 64 bit upgrade. Since you already have the 32 bit version installed, you can simply get the upgrade version instead of the full version. That should save you ~$100.
m
l
July 3, 2009 4:43:05 PM

Ok thanks...but could I just borrow say my friend's 64-bit copy of Vista and install it and use my current product key and save even more money??
m
l
Related resources
July 3, 2009 5:34:47 PM

Nope, your product key will only work for your 32 bit version. The same way your friend's 64 bit product key will only work on the 64 bit version.
m
l
July 6, 2009 1:06:51 PM

You can definitely use your current 32-bit product key to install 64-bit Vista as long as you are installing the same edition ( 64-bit Home Premium instead of 32-bit Home Premium, not like using 32-bit Home Premium produck key for 64-bit ultimate etc..). It is a myth that you should buy a new Vista license for 64-bit. The product key is tied to the edition of Vista (Ultimate, Home Premium etc.) but certainly not to 32 or 64-bit. In any computer with which Vista came pre-installed, the Certificate of Authenticity makes no mention of any *-bit. You can check of any company. I myself have installed 64-bit Vista in 2 laptops after using 32-bit one for nearly 1 and 1/2 years with regular updates from Microsoft. I reformatted it and installed 64-bit Vista activating it using my previous key and it got activated without any issues.

You should completely format your 32-bit Windows befora installing 64-bit. Both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions cannot coexist in the same computer as a Dual boot. You have to decide - either 32 or 64, either this or that, not both. Additionally this site will help you more http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-...
m
l
July 7, 2009 12:50:56 PM

leematthews said:
Ok thanks...but could I just borrow say my friend's 64-bit copy of Vista and install it and use my current product key and save even more money??

You can definitely use your 32bit key.

Just back up all of your data - You can't "Upgrade" from 32 to 64 bit. It must be a clean installation.
m
l
!