Tomorrow is the Big Day

speedbird744

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
Well guys, tomorrow is the big day. My first attempt at building a gaming rig. Here are the specs:

Coolmaster Evo 830
Asus Striker Motherboard
Core Quad QX6700
8800 GTX
Coolmaster 1000 Watt PSU
Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB PC2 8500

I plan to water cool using the following:

Swiftech MCP655™ 12v Water Pump w/ 3/8" Conversion Kit (317 GPH)
Danger Den Black Ice GTX Xtreme 240 Radiator
Swiftech Apogee GTX Extreme Performance Universal CPU Waterblock - Worried about this fitting onto the QX6700. I hope it does!

I also have on hand the following GPU blocks:

Innovatek Cool-Matic G80-GTX GPU & RAM Liquid Cooling Block - nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX

-or-

Danger Den GPU-6001 GPU NV-88GTX

I havent settled on which one I plan to use yet... All tubing with be 1/2.

So, based on the config above, any advice on building my system will be invaluable. I would be grateful for any feedback, tips/tricks, etc on how to do this!!

Thanks,
Speedbird...

sailer

Splendid
Unless you're planning to go SLI and add a bunch other stuff, you could use a smaller psu. Something in the 750-850wt range and do just fine.

If you're planning on Vista, you might think towards 4 gig of ram. It may not be needed yet, but probably will be in the future. Also, if getting Vista, be sure to get 64 bit instead of 32 bit.

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
If you are going to use 3/8 tubing I would suggest the MCP355 with or without an aftermarket top (center inlet top adds a considerable amount of flow increase to the MCP355/DDC 18w ) instead of the 655. It will perform better and be slightly quieter and cooler.

I would suggest either the Danger Den or EK blocks for your 8800 since both are all copper main blocks and I would guess quite a bit less restrictive than the Innovatek block which is an aluminum main block with a copper insert for the GPU.

Ooops when I read the "Swiftech MCP655™ 12v Water Pump w/ 3/8" Conversion Kit" and missed "All tubing with be 1/2" I thought you were going 3/8 tubing. I would sitll suggest the MCP355 / DDC Rev2 with a top like Petras over the MCP655. And same with the vid card blocks.

speedbird744

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
Thanks for all the replies guys... The parts and pieces have been trickling in since yesterday. I expect the balance of the equipment I need to show up today, and then building will commence...

Keep the advice coming, I need it! :)