New pc, low performance?

bergersen

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Hi!

Yep, my first post is a "OMG PLX HELP!1!!" -post... tend to come to that :p

Well, anyway, I just bought a new rig, and I'm not totaly satesfied with its performance. I've compared it to my mates comp thats brand new aswell.
So, heres the spec:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
MSI P965 NEO2-FI, P965, Socket-775
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2
TwinMOS DDR2 PC6400 4GB
MSI GeForce 8800GTS 640MB OC GDDR3
Windows Vista Business 64bit
I downloaded the graphic drivers from nvidia.com, and the CPU seems to be running at correct speed.
My mate, with a slightly slower CPU, 2GB of ram, and a 8600-something gets a slightly better framrate than me in games like WoW.
He recomended instaling the drivers for my chipset, couse the one that comes with Vista might be a bit weak, so I did ( here it is, top one ), but didnt notice any difference at all. Seemed like they only where some USB drivers or something.

I whould love to get to the bottom of this, couse I realy belive my performance should be stronger!
Any response is apriciated :)

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
What are your friend's specs?

You'll both be getting a zillion fps in WoW anyway, so what's the problem? It isn't the best indicator of how well your system performs.

What other examples do you have?

bergersen

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
BTW, heres a screedump of my device list... couse I might suspect I should update some drivers somehow:

mydevices.jpg

bergersen

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
What are your friend's specs?

You'll both be getting a zillion fps in WoW anyway, so what's the problem? It isn't the best indicator of how well your system performs.

What other examples do you have?
Well, we both do get a zillion fps, but at the most crucial of crucial locations, theres a slight drop belove 60fps (the cap). Its not that it realy hurts, but WoW aint very demanding, and I whouls suspect it to run flawlessly at all times. But it dont! And my mate with a weaker comp gets slightly better. I just find it and alarming indication something is not running at full capacity.

I dont remember his fully specs, but its a AMD CPU, a 8600 gfx card (brand was "Club" or something like that), and 2GB of ram, same OS.

I did try CoH the other day, and it runned smooth... but then again, I didnt know how to check the FPS.

Is there a game I should try out to get a good comparison? I got C&C3.