juanmarrero2002

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
Hi every body,

I bought the an authentic XP Pro OS. The first two or three days was Ok, but now when I need to restart this message appear: AMERICAN MEGATRENDS - www.ami.com - Sec Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad
Backup and replace - Press F1 to Resume. After I press F1 the machine goes black and I can do nothing to take back. The only thing that I can do in order to make windows open is to restart again and after do all the process mention before and press F1 is press many times a message to choose windows XP and then enter and Windows starts. But is not open normal. What you think I can do. The XP has been register without problem. Please I need someone help me. Thank you so much.

Juan

It's the HD. The SMART technology is designed to diagnose HD issues, before it crashes. You should run a chkdisk on the HD. If the chkdisk doesn't find anything, there could be a problem with the SMART monitor, which can be turned off in the BIOS. However, you should back up any important data ASAP, and think about ordering a new HD.

juanmarrero2002

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009

Hi Aford10,

Thank you very much for your response. I didn't know to much about how to work with bios and how HD works in computers. I built my computer last month. I put an Asus P5Q motherboard, a core2quad Q8200 processor, 1 GB EGVA video card and a 1T seagate hard drive. At the beginning I put a XP SP3 from a friend but started give me problems with the registration, I could not update, I could not use media player, things like that. That was the reason I bought the new XP. After install the new XP the problem start. Do you think if I run mother board software or XP again there is something I can change? I do not know how to do a back up and order a new HD.
Maybe you can be my teacher. I will send you a gift if you teach me. Thank you very much.

Juan

Thanks for the offer Juan, but this is a free forum and there is no payment/gift necessary. I/we are all here to help you though.

The first disc you used was probably a pirated/slipstreamed copy of windows, which doesn't allow for microsoft updates.

If there is nothing valuable on the HD currently, just go ahead and run a format and reinstall windows with the retail copy of windows. Make sure you do the comprehensive format, not the quick one. If there is data on the HD you want to keep, copy and paste it onto a flash drive or burn it onto a disc.

Once the install is complete, go to the device manager and look for conflicts. They will be marked with a yellow !. You can then look at the hardware inside the pc to find out who makes it. Then go to the manufacturers website and download the newest drivers for the hardware.

Let us know how that goes, and we can go from there.

mangoletsi

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Hello Juan,

The 1TB Seagate hard drive has FAILED. You said you only got it last month, so it should be under warranty.

If you have anything on the hard drive that you want to keep, save it onto a blank dvd or cd. Then format the hard drive and take it back to the shop where you bought it and ask for an exchange or refund.