Sign in with
Your question

Lost software for Linksys WRT54G but want to secure wireless with WPA2

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 29, 2007 2:14:23 AM

I've lost the software that came with my Linksys WRT54G and although wifi is working, the network is insecure. I want to secure it but believe I need the setup software that came with my Linksys router to do so. I searched Linksys's site but the only available downloads they have for my router are the latest firmware and its corresponding manuals.

Is there any way to get this software? It seems silly that I would have to buy a new router just because I misplaced the software
Anonymous
December 29, 2007 10:58:32 AM

WPA2 is part of the firmware on the router and the Network Utiility that comes with the wireless adapter. Just login to your router through http://192.168.1.1 (password: admin) and enable it.

Grumpy
January 1, 2008 2:41:36 PM

yeah what Grumpy9117 said.....

But not sure if that router supports WPA2 or not... I don't use the default Linksys firmware. I've loaded a third party firmware on my WRT54GS v2.1 wireless router. It is called DD-WRT. You can download it at http://www.dd-wrt.com ... Depending on what version of the WRT54G router that you have depends on what version of the firmware you download. It's not too difficult to do with tons of support and info on that website to effectively update your wireless router with DD-WRT. I have the latest "Release Candidate" v24 RC-6 loaded on my router. It is an amazing piece of firmware that blows away the capability of the Linksys firmware. Good Luck!
Related resources
January 2, 2008 1:13:32 PM

Dacman61 is right if you are interested in learning networking or want some added capabilities the dd-wrt firmware is amazing. It basically turns your $50 Linksys router into a router capable of performing tasks you would normally have to spend several hundred or thousand dollars to get. That being said it does not make it industrial grade hardware :-) I have two of these setup in a WDS network so that I have wireless in my shop building without having to run wires.
February 11, 2008 2:08:22 PM

you can also try tomato firmware. I use this and it's great. I believe there's a wiki on installing to linksys/buffalo routers...
!