Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to reinstall <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe for dummies

Last response: in Windows XP
April 18, 2009 6:47:40 PM

Ok this is the first time I have had this happen and I have no idea how to fix it. I have a copy of windows but I don't want to have to reformat my drive. I have gone into the recovery thing from the xp disk bit that's as far as I can go. I don't know how to use the command prompt and I'm stuck. Please be very detailed in your solution cuz I've gone onto other forums and they talked to me like I knew what I was doing. I'm at "c:\windows>" and when I type help I a be press enter I still don't know which one will fix it so I'm stuck.
April 19, 2009 3:30:56 PM

Why is ntoskrnl.exe gone from your system? Did you delete it?

Once in the Recovery console:

1. Select the operating system you wish to fix and type the administrator password.
2. Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32 (here I presume that the CD is in D: and XP is installed in C:\Windows)
3. If it already exists, you will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file. Type Y and press <Enter> to overwrite the file.
4. Type "exit" to reboot the computer.
Score
April 20, 2009 4:25:54 PM

ya i think i unintentionally deleted it. i was using tune up styler 2 to change my boot screen and somehow i must have messed up or used a bad boot screen. ive used it before and i thought i did it right...must not have lol. ill try that as soon as i get home
Score
February 23, 2010 7:32:58 AM

This topic has been closed by The_Prophecy
Score
!