Vista Install Hangs up then wont see my HD!!!!???

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Ok so to get vista to see my HD (maxtor 100gb pata) i have to drag it out put it in an old dell, run a partation and NTFS format on it.. the format works fine and the drive is "Healthy"

I put it in my gaming rig, boot up the vista dvd and start the install:

Froze at 64% Extracting files
Froze at 87% Extracting Files
Froze at clicking Next button right before selecting HD

each time i rebooted and then vista wouldnt see teh HD at all... BIOS still does

HD is set to Master... it does show up as 3rd master not primary though (no other HD's in rig) idk how to change that though.

Any ideas?

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Is this a VISTA Issue, HD issue or something else like MOBO or BIOS???

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250641-32-bios-sees-vista-install-wont-dead

Hand Drive: Maxtor
DiamondMax 10
Model: 6L100P0
100GB PATA133 HDD

MoBo: ASUS
P5WD2-E

-----------------------------

First the BIOS was seeing this HD fine and as 100gb

go to install vista Ultima on it, and the HD wont show up in the list of where to install Vista

BIOS can sometimes see this HD and sometimes cant same with vista install, i got to thinking maby its my mobo or bios or something

I took a WesternDigital WD300 HD from an old dell out, this HD works fine 100% of time, i put it in my gaming rig and set it as master.

BIOS wouldn't see this HD on ANY settings

RAID-E
RAID-D
ACHI-D
ACHI-E
IDE-D
IDE-C-SATA/PATA
IDE-C-SATA
IDE-C-PATA
IDE-E-SATA/PATA
IDE-ESATA
IDE-PATA

Not one setting made it so biso could see this HD, I put the Maxtor back in when it was set to IDE-E-PATA and it saw it as 3rd Master, restarted and now it cant find it....

HELP!!!!!!! New gaming rig had it for like 3 days now cant figure this out =-(!!

fowang

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Your using PATA in a Gaming rig! WHY? I would seriuosly recomend getting a good SATA drive!

But if you really have to use the PATA drive can i ask are you using the same cable from this dell as you are using on your "Gaming Rig"?

It could be just as simple as a cable fault.

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

Yeah i know i know but the Maxtor PATA is the only working HD i have i have 2x WD IDE's but the 120gb one is junked and the 30gb on.. well its 30gb LOL

.. that and my cashflow ran out so no sata for awhile /sacdpanda

No I wasnt useing the same cord i was useing totaly diff ones, I'll try stealing the cord form the dell and trying it... do you really think something that simple could be it???!!!