fraggelrock

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
I have a network all running WinXP. It works fine, but now I want to put a file server on it. Currently we have 8 people using the network, and occasionally someone will plug into it and use it.

Since with Windows XP, you are limited to 10 users, I am thinking of using a NAS file server since it would not add another WinXP user to the network.

I don’t’ have any money for this, but I got lots of computer parts so I am thinking to build of a systems with RAID 1 – 5 Disk – 1 for the OS and 4 IDE 120 mb drives for the data wstorage (240mb total space).

Now, if I use Win Xp for the OS, it should not be a problem as I use a shared folder and netowork drives.
What if I use a NAS OS for the server?

Do they have any low cost or open source ones out there?

Anyone have any experience doing what I want to do?

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Use Clarkconnect or FreeNAS. Clarkconnect is more powerful and has more options but is more difficult to setup than FreeNAS. Both run Samba to allow file-share with Windows users. Clarkconnect can be a router also and allow VPN access to your network which is usually a semi-expensive purchase if you buy a true VPN router. I am by no means a Linux expert and I was able to install both FreeNAS and Clarkconnect in about 1 day. Also, both are free so no license issues. They have software RAID built-in to the OS, but you will get better performance if you just buy a RAID card (you can get for as cheap as $20) instead of using the computers onboard IDE controller unless the MB has built-in RAID. Also, with RAID 5, you will need at least 3 drives and they must all be identical size. DO NOT use RAID 0 for a server. You're asking for trouble if a drive fails.

riser

Illustrious
Or you could just setup the NAS with Windows XP if you already have it and have no more than 10 users connect to it at once. :)

If you plan on having more than 10 people simutaniously connected, then go with the free stuff listed.