Do I really need Arctic Silver 5 for my AMD Athlon X2 3800+?

ghowthoo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
Hey guys,

I dont overclock and my room is usually kepted pretty cool at all times.

...is Arctic Silver 5 really nessecary for my CPU? or will I be fine using the retail heatsink with its own thermal paste?

I've seen mixed reviews on this, saying you should and others saying its fine with the stock paste... what do you guys think? :)

mpjesse

Splendid
Absolutely not.

But if you want to reduce temps by 2-4C just for the hell of it, AS5 is a good way to do it. I personally prefer Arctic Silver's Ceramique paste over AS5.

Regardless it's always a good idea to have some quality paste laying around. Once you remove that heatsink from the CPU it's all down hill for that thermal pad thing. And if you're an enthusiast you'll probably be removing the heatsink for cleaning every few months.

baligavinod

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
However, this is an enthusiast forum for the most part, so many of us like to uber slick-up our systems and squeeze that last 0.1 deg C of temperature out.... then we come in here and pound our chest like a triumphant king-kong, proclaiming how great we are and how nobody can match what we have just done.... then, someone invariably comes out and says something like "you goober, I got x biddle bee bo blah blah, go surf your pr0n", the other guy typically spouts back "well, yeah ... but I used a crappy old this that and the other and still got this, you nerd". Within 2 or 3 posts, the thread quickly spirals into a flame fest of laughable proportions.... welcome to TGForumz ;) ... Jack

i think this shud be made as an introduction thread of TGForumz...

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
If you don't overclock and you're looking to shave a few degrees of your CPU temp, beyond buying a better HSF, the most effective way is to back the voltage off a little from stock. In my experience, my CPUs have been able to run at stock-0.1V with no problems at all. You might be suprised how much this reduces your load temps.

I'd go with the AS5 just because I tend to pull things apart once in a while and I need new grease each time. AS5 is very cheap anyway.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
dont worry you'll be fine but for only a fiver you will have a spare lying around incase you ever need to clean out your heatsink etc

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
However, this is an enthusiast forum for the most part, so many of us like to uber slick-up our systems and squeeze that last 0.1 deg C of temperature out.... then we come in here and pound our chest like a triumphant king-kong, proclaiming how great we are and how nobody can match what we have just done.... then, someone invariably comes out and says something like "you goober, I got x biddle bee bo blah blah, go surf your pr0n", the other guy typically spouts back "well, yeah ... but I used a crappy old this that and the other and still got this, you nerd". Within 2 or 3 posts, the thread quickly spirals into a flame fest of laughable proportions.... welcome to TGForumz ;) ... Jack

i think this shud be made as an introduction thread of TGForumz...
you just hit the nail in the head!

bkiserx7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
The thremal pad imcluded on the sink is very effective. I plan on redoing mine with the thermal grease that ninja tested from masscool, Shin etsu , i believe is the product name.

Shin etsu x23

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
The thremal pad imcluded on the sink is very effective. I plan on redoing mine with the thermal grease that ninja tested from masscool, Shin etsu , i believe is the product name.

Shin etsu x23
very hard to find!
I bought Ceramique and it lowered the temperatures for 3'C compared to the grease that comes with the Asus Silent SQUARE after-market cooler. Not a big deal, but its better :lol:

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I have recently downvolted by .025 and lost 10c while maintaining an oc of 210x11 stock mem speeds and timings. :wink: I did that last week or so. been suggesting it since.
cpuz says .04 lower.
Your room temp might also have changed since, in my experience, .025V is too little to lower the temps by 10°C; My A64 3000+ was a good undervolter and I could very stably run it on 1.25V (from stock 1.40V) and this lowered my temps by 8°C, but that is a good .15 V.