CPU Erratic Fan

egel

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Firstly, I have a Core2Duo E6420, and my mobo is a Gigabyte GA-P965-DS3. For some wierd reason, my cpu fan is nuts. It spins briefly on power on, before starting to do quarter revolutions without ever spooling up. My case fans work fine. According to the BIOS, cpu temp is 30 degrees C. System temp is supposedly 40 ( accuracy? given the intake temp was roughly 20 degrees), which is probably because of my 8800GTS. There is no OS on that machine right now, btw.

The temperature doesn't bother me, but is the fan's behaviour normal? I'm going to have a look and see if playing with some BIOS settings changes anything?

P.S If anyone has this board, do they know which 2 of the 3 spare fan (system fan, pwr fan, nb_fan)jacks are ideal? Just a random thought.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Might wanna look for the smart fan feature.

I believe its set to spin at a certain speed at a certain temp. If you disable that feature, it should run full rpms. Other then that, it will run at its specified settings.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Ya, I saw that. I even seen that other thread locked down before you put yours up.

It did make me think that it would prolly get locked.

But, I guess the mod is doing his/her job.

:oops: . o O (sorry to be off topic on this thread)

mboorman

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
In the bios under PC HEALTH STATUS disable Smart FAN Control Method. My new build with the DS4 did the same thing. It is not a fault it is normal on these boards when temps are to low to fire up the fan.

egel

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
In the bios under PC HEALTH STATUS disable Smart FAN Control Method. My new build with the DS4 did the same thing. It is not a fault it is normal on these boards when temps are to low to fire up the fan.
Ta.

Latest posts