XP Home File Associations

In XPHome I put in a File Association for .avi files to open with WMP in
Folder Options/File types. I tried to delete the entry but received a
warning if I did .avi files wouldn't be able to be opened on the computer
anymore.

This association was never there until I put it there - can I just remove it
somehow without losing the ability to open an .avi file? I don't want to
change it to another program because QT should be able to open .avi and so
should WMP. Or, can I have .avi checked in both QT and WMP and leave the
file association alone?

The only .avi files I have on the computer are from QT installation I think
and I can't get an open with, instead a window opens and says it can't
connect or had an error. I'd be happy to just not have it "open with" any
particular program and just have the program that can handle it open it.

Can anyone help? Thank you.

Libra
2 answers Last reply
More about home file associations

    Hi Libra,

    > This association was never there until I put it there - can I just remove
    > it somehow without losing the ability to open an .avi file?

    Yes, all that will happen is that the next time you try to open an .avi
    file, windows will prompt you to choosea program.

    > I don't want to change it to another program because QT should be able to
    > open .avi and so should WMP.

    That's not a problem, just right click the file and choose "open with", then
    choose the QT executable. If the installation of QT supports the encoding,
    it will open the file without changing the default association.

    > Or, can I have .avi checked in both QT and WMP and leave the file
    > association alone?

    You will find that they will fight over it, possibly causing conflicts if
    you do. Leave it associated with one. You can create an additional right
    click option for the other if you wish using the file extension options
    (folder options/file types, ask if you need help).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Libra" <Libra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In XPHome I put in a File Association for .avi files to open with WMP in
    > Folder Options/File types. I tried to delete the entry but received a
    > warning if I did .avi files wouldn't be able to be opened on the computer
    > anymore.
    >
    > This association was never there until I put it there - can I just remove
    > it
    > somehow without losing the ability to open an .avi file? I don't want to
    > change it to another program because QT should be able to open .avi and so
    > should WMP. Or, can I have .avi checked in both QT and WMP and leave the
    > file association alone?
    >
    > The only .avi files I have on the computer are from QT installation I
    > think
    > and I can't get an open with, instead a window opens and says it can't
    > connect or had an error. I'd be happy to just not have it "open with" any
    > particular program and just have the program that can handle it open it.
    >
    > Can anyone help? Thank you.
    >
    > Libra

    Hi

    Right click on one of the .AVI files in Windows Explorer then select Open
    With>Choose Program... Then select the appropriate program and enable
    'Always use the selected...'. It won't do any harm to leave the association
    there after you have chosen which program you want to use.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Libra" <Libra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In XPHome I put in a File Association for .avi files to open with WMP in
    > Folder Options/File types. I tried to delete the entry but received a
    > warning if I did .avi files wouldn't be able to be opened on the computer
    > anymore.
    >
    > This association was never there until I put it there - can I just remove
    > it
    > somehow without losing the ability to open an .avi file? I don't want to
    > change it to another program because QT should be able to open .avi and so
    > should WMP. Or, can I have .avi checked in both QT and WMP and leave the
    > file association alone?
    >
    > The only .avi files I have on the computer are from QT installation I
    > think
    > and I can't get an open with, instead a window opens and says it can't
    > connect or had an error. I'd be happy to just not have it "open with" any
    > particular program and just have the program that can handle it open it.
    >
    > Can anyone help? Thank you.
    >
    > Libra

File Association AVI Windows XP