Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP black screen and cursor after windows update?

Tags:
  • Cursor
  • Windows Update
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
April 22, 2009 1:10:39 AM

Hello,
My colleagues and I are running into a very annoying issue. We all work for a local PC repair shop and have had at least 10 pc's and laptops come in during the last two days with all the same issue. Customers have installed some windows update, rebooted and the systems will only display a black screen with a cursor. Some will get into windows if you leave them sitting after an hour or so, but no services are running, cannot run anything on the system (obviously without services running). Have tried repair installs, checkdisk's, and still no luck. Have also scanned HDD's on different systems with numerous anti- virus -spyware programs... nothing found.
Any one have any idea's?

We literally had 6 or 7 day rushes for the issues from major VIP people that own local businesses, and our only fix has been to reload windows. Any insight would be great.

And please understand that we are all Microsoft certified and have tried all of your run of the mill fixes for windows.

More about : windows black screen cursor windows update

April 22, 2009 5:01:20 AM

I'm not sure what the update is that is breaking the systems. I haven't heard of any issue recently. However, rolling back to a previous restore point may be a better way to undo the update.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 22, 2009 10:58:06 AM

I just reloaded a customer's computer that has the same symptoms. If you booted into Safe Mode you got a BSOD with a message about the Video Driver being corrupted.

Grumpy
April 22, 2009 5:58:51 PM

Sorry grumpy, there's no way that it's related to a video driver, considering it's notebooks and desktops from different company's. And there are no bluescreens. And if we could restore we would...but considering 85% of the PC's are windows XP and can't boot into safe mode...
April 22, 2009 6:27:49 PM

Why can't they boot into safe mode?? In XP, it's f8 on startup.
April 23, 2009 12:06:48 AM

Ok, we figured it out. We use the antispyware software Counter-Spy, and in a recent update services.exe was changed enough that the new counterspy definitions detected it as an unwanted program, asked if they want to stop or delete it, and of course 99% said "yes". We always disable active protection on it, but we find a lot of people renable it right away. Sunbelt (the makers of counterspy) fixed the issue right away with an update, but a lot of systems set it to a personal setting for that machine, and continued to delete the file after it was reinstalled.
Thanks for the responses...

And aford10, no offense, but I already said we've tried every normal option, and obviously getting into safemode in any microsoft OS is f8... I already had listed that the systems would not boot into safemode. Please read the OP before trolling...
April 23, 2009 12:10:07 AM

aford10 said:
Why can't they boot into safe mode?? In XP, it's f8 on startup.

I'm willing to bet the reason is that windows is just serverly hosed, not that the keyboards being used are missing the F# keys.
April 23, 2009 4:30:35 AM

mitchmeister03 said:
Ok, we figured it out. We use the antispyware software Counter-Spy, and in a recent update services.exe was changed enough that the new counterspy definitions detected it as an unwanted program, asked if they want to stop or delete it, and of course 99% said "yes". We always disable active protection on it, but we find a lot of people renable it right away. Sunbelt (the makers of counterspy) fixed the issue right away with an update, but a lot of systems set it to a personal setting for that machine, and continued to delete the file after it was reinstalled.
Thanks for the responses...

And aford10, no offense, but I already said we've tried every normal option, and obviously getting into safemode in any microsoft OS is f8... I already had listed that the systems would not boot into safemode. Please read the OP before trolling...

You mentioned that you were reloading windows. You didn't mention what happened when trying to get into safe mode. I'm just covering bases.
April 23, 2009 4:32:57 AM

insaneclowngod said:
I'm willing to bet the reason is that windows is just serverly hosed, not that the keyboards being used are missing the F# keys.

Windows doesn't affect the f8 access into the bios settings.
April 23, 2009 7:02:50 PM

aford10 said:
Windows doesn't affect the f8 access into the bios settings.

Reread your statement and please rewrite it to make some sort of sense. F8 does NOT get you into the BIOS settings... it gets you into the Windows boot option menu.
And I'm, assuming that Isaneclowngod is saying that I already know what the key to get into safemode is considering I said safemode didn't work in the OP.
!