cfg question

Last response: in Video Games
May 18, 2004 9:50:23 PM

OK I have been playing this game semi regularly for years now and really
love it. I originally started playing on the dreamcast and then later got
the pc version. its still the game I play more than anything else and the
only game that years later I am still playing. So props to id for a great
game. However I have a question\gripe:

How the hell do you cfg this game so that you have a chance against all the
other clantypes\cfgers\pros? Is there a faq out there. <and yes i am
playing on a current pb enabled server so i know supposedly they are not
cheating>

I'm an average player who plays with default setup. I have a good (not
great) rig and a decent connection (I usally play on a server where my ping
is 80). I am tired of getting my head handed to me and would like to be a
little more competitive. I heard that alot of play experience can be
improved via cfgs. It seems that the more serious players are good but that
they also have some sort of technical advantage but of course they all deny
it (besides just ping). Meanwhile the engine seems to grace them with lots
of little things that all seem to add up to alot: they seem to move faster,
they are never really where they seem and you can't seem to hit them. When
you hit them the damage per unit of time done by the weapon seems low
meanwhile their's is outrageously high, they just touch you with a lightning
gun and you drop. You can have a rocket or a plasma gun and they have the
machinegun and they just run around you and kill you. They will claim its
skill but we all know the game isn't that technical from a gameplay
perspective, when you can't kill some ppl even at close range in their back
its not skill. Sometimes when you get next to them you suddenly feel like
you are playing in mud, like somehow the server is giving them like 10 times
as much bandwidth or something. What gives? I know something is up bc I
have played every now and then on servers where my ping was 100 and its
frigging impossible to get almost anything to work for you, meanwhile some
other guy with a ping of 100 plays like he's on LAN or something. I know
something is up here. I don't think its cheats but I think there must be
some sort of huge advantage that can be gained via cfgs. Will somebody just
admit this and explain how to do it? I'm not gonna use it to pick on the
noobs and lie and act like I'm great and be a bastard (which seems to be the
general pattern with alot of players). I just want to go after the pros
that do that type of stuff bc I am sick of it. And please do not respond
and tell me that its just they are so skilled. Yes some are but most are
not, when you can't even hit somebody that's not skill, there's no skill at
making yourself semi invisible via figuring out some stunt to hog all the
packets. Any person with half a brain can tell the difference.

Basically I think the advantages that can be gained at this game via the cfg
and hardware etc. really is ruining the game. I mean when you have
something that clearly is not a level playing field what is the fun. Ppl
that enjoy winning like that ought to go down to their local gradeschool and
dunk on the 4th graders. If it wasn't for that blasted Xbox controller and
no mouse\kb I would probably just switch to Xbox live because the funny
business with pc games is just ruining the scene. And of course some nerds
are mad that you can't mod an Xbox and play online with it. AKA you can't
up your hardware or install hacks like you can on PC and then strut around
acting like you are god. GRRRR! :)

More about : cfg question

Anonymous
May 18, 2004 10:18:44 PM

Tweaks, Tips, Tricks etc. <
http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Quake3/AquaQuake3Guide.h... >

"River Ross" <river.ross@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> packets. Any person with half a brain can tell the difference.
>
> Basically I think the advantages that can be gained at this game via the
cfg
> and hardware etc. really is ruining the game. I mean when you have
> something that clearly is not a level playing field what is the fun. Ppl
> that enjoy winning like that ought to go down to their local gradeschool
and
> dunk on the 4th graders. If it wasn't for that blasted Xbox controller
and
> no mouse\kb I would probably just switch to Xbox live because the funny
> business with pc games is just ruining the scene. And of course some
nerds
> are mad that you can't mod an Xbox and play online with it. AKA you can't
> up your hardware or install hacks like you can on PC and then strut around

May 19, 2004 4:56:51 AM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 17:50:23 +0000, River Ross wrote:

> OK I have been playing this game semi regularly for years now and really
> love it. I originally started playing on the dreamcast and then later
> got the pc version. its still the game I play more than anything else
> and the only game that years later I am still playing. So props to id
> for a great game. However I have a question\gripe:
>
> How the hell do you cfg this game so that you have a chance against all
> the other clantypes\cfgers\pros? Is there a faq out there. <and yes i
> am playing on a current pb enabled server so i know supposedly they are
> not cheating>

Quake 3 is one of the lesser config dependant games out there. I used to
play HLDM for a while after it came out until that degenerated into a
script writing contest.

Quake is a fast game that's mostly about timing, reactions and accuracy.
If you haven't got those then not much config tweaking will improve your
game. I know a lot of players who are very much god-like, and I know
they're not cheating as I've played them on a LAN. They have simply 'got
it'.

That aside there are a few things you can tweak to help yourself. The
first and most obvious is bind your movement and weapon keys to whatever
you are most comfortable with. I use WSAD for movement, E for rockets, Q
for rail. Gauntlet, MG, SG and GL are on their default keys (1-4), LG is
on mouse 2 and plasma on my thumb button. Mouse sens and accel is
important, noobs tend to have it set a little too sensitive.

Another is force your enemy model to either Keel or Tank Jr. These are
quite large models and you'll hear their footsteps a mile off. Mods such
as 3W, RA3 and OSP can force their colours to a bright green or yellow so
you can pick them out easy.

Network settings: adjust rate, cl_maxpackets and snaps to something
appropriate for your connection.

cg_fov, adjust this until you are happy with your peripheral vision. A
high setting will give you a greater field of view but will make distance
railing more tricky. Settle on something between 100-112.

Not much you can do with graphics, but if you turn off the eye-candy and
set gamma and brightness right you will concentrate more on the enemy
than the surroundings. r_fastsky should be 1 and turn up r_picmip to
reduce the texture detail.

Oh, and practice helps too :)

May 19, 2004 6:09:32 AM

well said
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 1:40:05 AM

People always assume when you give a rant like this that you are a whiner
but that's not my intent. I know I'm pretty average and am not shocked that
I can't win at something. I don't think I should be winning or anything
however I've seen plenty of cases that involved something more than skill
and obviously was some sort of connection advantage (besides just ping).
Thanks for the tips I may try them. The problem is it seems like so much
trial and error and knowing properties of the server and your connection and
so on that it really makes me feel its no longer a fun game. My job is
technical enough and I hate to do stuff like this for a game which is
supposed to be fun time. Oh well that's pc games for ya!

"RacerX" <OTHracer@fast.net> wrote in message
> well said

May 26, 2004 8:18:04 AM

Hey River Ross
You keep looking for those config files and autoexec.cfg (yes
autoexec.cfg) it make a huge differance and so does a good system.
anyone who says anything else is full of it. I just play on a system
that was total tuned (as the owner said) 20k config file and
autoexec.cfg for just about every mod out there and for a change I was
hanging everyone their ass(big time). As the owner of the machine said
"if you dont have the files, then your target pactice" it's too bad I
couldn't grab the files, I would post them all over the web just for the
hell of it. I just play for fun and dont really need to config my system
to have fun, for now. next lan party my mission is going to be to aquire
his files, at which point I will post them.

!