Processor Speeds Aren't Matching Up

jjnguy13

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
I recently took my laptop out of its dusty case so I could get it to do some GIMPS work for me.

I decided to run cpu-z on it for the first time and I saw that it was reporting speeds of 2.8GHz. When I bought it, it was labeled as a 3GHz and that is what Vista (and XP) says it is.

What might be going on in my situation? Any help would be greatly accepted.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8796/whatsgoingonca7.jpg

jjnguy13

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Heh, it was under full load, running Prime95 with HT disabled....

Could it be overheating and slowing itself down?

It is in a laptop after all....

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I recently took my laptop out of its dusty case so I could get it to do some GIMPS work for me.

I decided to run cpu-z on it for the first time and I saw that it was reporting speeds of 2.8GHz. When I bought it, it was labeled as a 3GHz and that is what Vista (and XP) says it is.

What might be going on in my situation? Any help would be greatly accepted.

That's]http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8796/whatsgoingonca7.jpg
That's EIST...Intel's power-saving feature. When CPU load is low, the multiplier drops down to 14. When CPU power is needed, it will raise the multiplier back up to 15. 14 is the lowest # multiplier that Intel used on P4's, and therefore 2.8GHz P4's don't have this feature, as they're already at a 14x multi. :wink: Nothing to worry about.

jjnguy13

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Hmm...well, I hopped into my BIOS and couldn't find the EIST feature to enable/disable.

Perhaps, since its is a laptop Mobo the feature isn't given to me to disable....

:(

Well, I'm gonna leave the laptop off for a while. Then I'll see if the multiplier goes back up.

jjnguy13

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Grrr....

I let it sit off for a little while, and when I turned it back on I had a 15x multiplier!!

But after less than a minute of full load the multiplier dropped down one and set my speed back to 2.8GHx.

I looks like my computer has a little dilemma.

If it has nothing to do it runs slower, and if it has a lot to do it runs slower.....

Great! :cry:

I thinks I might try to pop it open and clean it out because it idles too hot to even bring the multiplier back up to 15.... :cry:

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Grrr....

I let it sit off for a little while, and when I turned it back on I had a 15x multiplier!!

But after less than a minute of full load the multiplier dropped down one and set my speed back to 2.8GHx.

If it has nothing to do it runs slower, and if it has a lot to do it runs slower.....

I thinks I might try to pop it open and clean it out because it idles too hot to even bring the multiplier back up to 15.... :cry:
its evident that what you're experiencing is the effect of Intel's EIST (Enhanced Intel Speed-step Technology), designed to lower power consumption and heat.

Once you turn the laptop on, MB automatically sets CPU at maximum speed for booting the OS. After your computer reached the desktop and in Idle mode, MB then automatically step your CPU down to 2.8Ghz to conserve power. Don't worry, that 200mhz won't make a noticeable difference.

BTW, does Pentium M clock at 3Ghz?

Grrr....

its evident that what you're experiencing is the effect of Intel's EIST (Enhanced Intel Speed-step Technology), designed to lower power consumption and heat.

Once you turn the laptop on, MB automatically sets CPU at maximum speed for booting the OS. After your computer reached the desktop and in Idle mode, MB then automatically step your CPU down to 2.8Ghz to conserve power. Don't worry, that 200mhz won't make a noticeable difference.

BTW, does Pentium M clock at 3Ghz?

Pentium M tops out at what, 2.33ghz which would blow away a 3ghz easily.

Its a Pentium 4 or a P4M (Mobile Pentium 4) - crap compared ;)

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Pentium M tops out at what, 2.33ghz which would blow away a 3ghz easily.

Its a Pentium 4 or a P4M (Mobile Pentium 4) - crap compared ;)
yeh.. but the CPU-Z shot he provided had P-M showing.

However, it does remind me my old laptop though. P4@ 2.4Ghz. After I used it for two months, I would only turn it on to heat up my room when it gets too cold :twisted: ...

I'm not even sure if the plastic exterior can withstand the high temperature exhaust. Don't understand why people are smart enough to port P4 to mobile...

EDIT: my bad. The CPU-Z shows P4 630. Must be really late, and I'm really tired. :p

jjnguy13

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
I had my laptop plugged in the whole time.

My CPU is an actual desktop P4 processor. It's in a Hp zd8000 laptop.

It's not EIST, unless the feature is broken. My laptop has been running Prime95 w/ HyperThreading disabled. So, it must be the heat is throttling back the proc.

Even after idling all night long to try to cool it of, the stepping didn't jump up to 15x after i restarted Prime95.

This must mean that HP put a processor in my laptop that idles so hot that it has to throttle itself back.

Won't throttlewatch do the same thing as cpu-z (displaying frequencies and voltages)

*edit*
Cpu-z actually shows teh stepping change. But throttle watch looks cooler.

jjnguy13

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Try using that Throttle Watch program. It has graph for usage, and another graph for throttling.

Kinda strange how it doesn't go to stock speed when put on a load.

Yeah, I installed Throttle Watch(its pretty cool). But it didn't provide me with any more info than Cpu-Z combined with Task Manager.

I'm almost positive that it is a heat issue....

Does anyone know where I could find a good guide on how to open certain models of laptops? I can't find one.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Does Throttle Watch show a throttle graph in red?

Click on view, and check the graphs you want to see.

I know the program won't show me voltage, so I suppose there are things about the program that may not support certain things.

I don't know if I missed it, but did you look at the power options in the control panel, or the screen saver tab? Just wonder if not having that set to full power has anything to do with what may be going on.

I remember toshiba laptops software had different options for the power as well, so it's a lil different then desktop power options.

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
I would not stress to much over the 200Mhz. I just checked my work computer w/ @ 3Ghz Prescott. Windows says 3.0 Ghz 2.997Ghz cpu-z says 2.79Ghz. I think it might have to do with the way windows reads the CPU speed.

jjnguy13

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Does Throttle Watch show a throttle graph in red?

Oops, yeah it does.

It has been sitting at 0% while at full load....

And also 0% idle.

Hmmm.....I also checked the power settings....Everything is set to full performance. I specified that while under battery and while plugged in, only run the CPU at 100%.

The only reason why I am stressing over the 200MHz, is because I want Prime95 to pump out the calculations faster and up my chances at teh money!!

Try using that Throttle Watch program. It has graph for usage, and another graph for throttling.

Yeah, I installed Throttle Watch(its pretty cool). But it didn't provide me with any more info than Cpu-Z combined with Task Manager.

Does anyone know where I could find a good guide on how to open certain models of laptops? I can't find one.

http://h20181.www2.hp.com/plmconten...660&MEID=0CB6F826-C110-473D-A294-67807AF06D45
there ya go :)

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
That's EIST...Intel's power-saving feature. When CPU load is low, the multiplier drops down to 14. When CPU power is needed, it will raise the multiplier back up to 15. 14 is the lowest # multiplier that Intel used on P4's, and therefore 2.8GHz P4's don't have this feature, as they're already at a 14x multi. :wink: Nothing to worry about.
I have also seen this option on my DESKTOP, socket 478 3.0Ghz Prescott when I installed RMClock, but how can I activate it?!

jjnguy13

Distinguished
May 3, 2007

http://h20181.www2.hp.com/plmconten...660&MEID=0CB6F826-C110-473D-A294-67807AF06D45
there ya go :)

Thanks a lot. I never expected hp to have a guide about how to take apart one of its laptops. Much appreciated!!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I have also seen this option on my DESKTOP, socket 478 3.0Ghz Prescott when I installed RMClock, but how can I activate it?!AFAIK, S478 P4's never had a throttle-clocking mechanism for idle(such as EIST)...but, of course they would throttle if overheated. I use RMClock on my ASRock/E6600(mobo doesn't support EIST :( )...it works great..drops to a 6 mult x whatever FSB i'm running(currently to 297x6-1782MHz) and vCore to 1.187v...drops idle temps ~3-4C to 24/25C. :D

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Take a look at what RMClock shows for my 3.0GHz P4:
multis.jpg

but I can't switch to the lower multi.