Help in some weird issues

ngwayne

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Hi all,

I had a weird problem, my system will gradually decrease in performance due to high disk activity from system process and perfom.exe, when the high disk activity occurs, my RAM usage will drops from approx. 1.8GB to approx. 600MB.

I don't know what is the cause of the problem, all I know this issue has been bugging me for a couple of months and I cannot find any useful solutions from other forums and Microsoft.

The following is my system specs, hope it helps:

- Core i7 870 2.93ghz
- EVGA P55FTW SLI motherboard
- Kingston Hyper X DDR3 4GB 1600mhz
- EVGA Geforce GTX 460 768MB x 1
- Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 7200rpm
- Cooler Master silent pro 850Watts
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Just to add on, the high disk activity problem will occur anytime, meaning it will occur when I'm gaming, watching movies, etc. Really annoying. Hope to hear useful solutions from this forum and thanks a lot in advance.

ngwayne

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Hi all,

I had a weird problem, my system will gradually decrease in performance due to high disk activity from system process and perfom.exe, when the high disk activity occurs, my RAM usage will drops from approx. 1.8GB to approx. 600MB.

I don't know what is the cause of the problem, all I know this issue has been bugging me for a couple of months and I cannot find any useful solutions from other forums and Microsoft.

The following is my system specs, hope it helps:

- Core i7 870 2.93ghz
- EVGA P55FTW SLI motherboard
- Kingston Hyper X DDR3 4GB 1600mhz
- EVGA Geforce GTX 460 768MB x 1
- Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 7200rpm
- Cooler Master silent pro 850Watts
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Just to add on, the high disk activity problem will occur anytime, meaning it will occur when I'm gaming, watching movies, etc. Really annoying. Hope to hear useful solutions from this forum and thanks a lot in advance.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
First off, I'd say replace the RAM. Go with G.Skill, Corsair, Mushkin, or Geil. (Kingston is crap now). What/how many programs do you have running in the background? Are you using anything Symantec? (if so drop it and grab AVG instead). I'd also recommend replacing your PSU (in the not too distant future). Look at: Antec, XFX, Corsair, Enermax, Lepa (off brand enermax), PC P&C, and Silverstone.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
$60 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
check if yo can turn some of the windows features off. also monitor the usage when system is idle and when its under load using the task manager make sure you display processes from all users on task manager. if this is happening due to hard disc use some good softwares to defrag the hard disc. try to use your system without the resouces heavy progamms like your antivirus for some time and check if that makes any difference.

ngwayne

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

thks for the reply, but if you don't mind please kindly explain your theory for changing the gadgets, as honestly based on my knowledge, all those doesn't affect a single bit with regard to the issue I'm facing.

ngwayne

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

hi,

thanks for the reply, as of that I'm using KIS instead Symantec.

back ground processes wise only default windows processes and some programs which I'm using at that point of time. My computer definitely is not infected by any form of malwares. Btw, I don't use non-microsoft softwares to defrag my HDD.

unless if you are suspecting my PSU wattage efficiency, my PSU as stated in my earlier post, is 80plus certified, with upper tolerance of approx. 150watts from maximum of which my fully plugged in gadgets can take.

I perform full HDD scan wif KIS, windows registry scanning for error with CCleaner, disk cleanup and defragment from default windows7 system tools weekly.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I'm not talking efficency, I'm talking about the fact that that PSU can easily destroy your build with unstable/insufficent power (just because it says 850W, doesn't mean you are getting that.) CM makes great cases, but horrid PSU's (no where near upper teirs, a couple are decent but in all none are worth the price). The RAM can cause instability issues (especially kingston, more defective/DOA chips than even generic RAM). Pull up Task Manager to see what processes are pinging your usage percentages. Kill off Superfetch, Prefetch, and readyboost under services.

ngwayne

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

Hi,

hmm... since you mention of not talking about efficiency but your PSU theory are all about it... haha

honestly, coolermaster never made any good psu casing if you really know, but their electronics are good enough for the job that they claimed of which it is designed for.

Kingston ram has the least defect known in my country, unless you are trying to say quality drops when it enters yours haha

By the way, I honestly suspect if you really know about Superfetch, Prefetch and readyboost because you are actually asking me to turn it off...

Sorry to write in such a manner, but I'm here to seek solution, not to teach basics...

leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
i really doubt the issue is because of the PSU efficiency but the cooler master PSU are definitely less reliable than others. my extreme power just stopped working a week ago after a life span of 4months i didnt even bother to repair it under warranty and bought a corsair gs600 on the same day.
since you have worked on so many possibilities and suggestions which one do you think is the most probable reason. is there any thing that you can try differently ?

ngwayne

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
I've tried almost everything... I cannot get a clear picture of why high disk activity yet result in low ram usage...

I also doubt is PSU or hardware causing the problem...

Viruses are out of the question as there are no weird processes and I have Kaspersky Internet Security to do the scanning job...

ngwayne

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
hi guys,

I think I've found the solution, or in fact the cause of this whole issue.

Cause: Due to windows detects un-use data in my ram, thus superfetch release the data from ram to my hdd to page the files, and due to the huge transfer of data to hdd, which results in high disk activity.

Solution: Luckily I have a spare hdd, which I plug into my motherboard but has not been put into good use, so I make the page files to be done in this spare hdd to release the stress of my windows hdd.

Results: So far so gd, no problems so far :)