Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Video Cards

Last response: in Overclocking
June 1, 2007 10:56:38 AM

I'm new to overclocking.

I know I've seen discussion of overclocking video cards, but I dont understand how that's done. From the little I know about CPU, FSB, and RAM overclocking, I understand that it's done via minor voltage changes in an overclocking friendly BIOS. How is it done on video cards? Are there only certain brands with overclocking as an option?

Thank you
June 1, 2007 11:21:41 AM

For nvidia you can use rivatuner and for ati atitool.
Overclocking for videocards is really easy, just search for the highest clockspeed it can handle (but watch you temps)
June 1, 2007 11:34:32 AM

Yeah its much easier than OCing the CPU and RAM.

Using coolbits, you can let it do an automatic OC, and then just adjust the sliders untill highest stable. Mine still keeps under 50c.
Related resources
June 1, 2007 11:52:54 AM

Thanks very much for the quick replies. 8)

One discussion of Coolbits noted that not all cards have temperature sensors, and that this varies from brand to brand.

I'd appreciate if someone could let me know what brands DO always have temp sensors, and if there's some place I could look for more details (it's not always mentioned in product descriptions on Web sales sites)

Thanks again
June 1, 2007 1:00:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks very much for the quick replies. 8)

One discussion of Coolbits noted that not all cards have temperature sensors, and that this varies from brand to brand.

I'd appreciate if someone could let me know what brands DO always have temp sensors, and if there's some place I could look for more details (it's not always mentioned in product descriptions on Web sales sites)

Thanks again
Just about every brand of Nvidia card you'll find has integrated temperature sensors. My personal favorite is eVga thanks to their lifetime warranty which covers overclocking, and their step-up program.
June 2, 2007 6:56:49 AM

Thanks, that was very helpful.

Does anyone happen to know if PNY nVidia cards have temperature sensors?

I'm really looking forward to getting these parts ordered and this system put together. 8)
June 2, 2007 8:02:20 AM

I'm pretty sure, I'm running a BFG 7950GT OC (Stock) and it idles/load at 60/80 so I have to go buy a mod to switch out this POS cooler.
June 2, 2007 9:37:28 PM

Quote:
The sensor is built into the GPU itself. So if for example one 7900GS card has it then any manufacture that makes a 7900GS card will have it...

I've seen other comments that contradict that, maybe nVidia does put the sensor in all cards, but not all manufacturers active it.

I'm looking for details on PNY cards, as to whether they have the temperature sensor and are overclocking friendly.

Thanks
June 11, 2007 2:28:37 PM

I like to use ATI Tray Tools, (Not the same thing as ATI tool btw.). The new version lets you control the fan speed on the fly using global keyboard shortcuts, and also lets you activate your saved overclocking and/or performance profiles. I think it's really handy to be playing a game, and just press the button to turn up the amount of anti-aliasing, or to increase the memory/ core speed, or to control fan speed. The only problem is that it doesn't work too well with the catalyst control centre, apart from that it's great. I've not used the voltage changing options yet, but I can get a reasonable overclock without, and don't want to stress my card more that it is at the moment.
June 11, 2007 11:46:04 PM

thanks for the link, it was really helpful. i use riva tuner, i did oc a bit 576 core clock/ 900 memory clock. my core temp @ idle is 60, as right now i m using 100% fan duty cycle. whats the bad thing about using max fan duty cycle, i dont really care about noise that much.
June 12, 2007 12:39:18 AM

Here is a link to a volt mod guide for the 7900 series. Works on other cards, too, just Google to find what you need. A conductive pen and a good GPU cooler are necessary, as is a well ventilated case.
!