knighton

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Currently I have 1 meg/s dsl that is provided by a 3rd party internet provider.My connection is always laggy and sometimes doesn't work at certain times of the day.I also ping about 150 ms to anywhere is the United States. On top of that I pay 75 a month. I reside in Alabama and I am right out of my city limit. The only alternative to my sucky dsl is dial-up,Wildblue, and possibly Charter Cable. I'm not going to get dial-up and I've heard that wildblue has quite a bit of latency(like I would ping 200 to a Chi server). The only problem with Charter is that I am about 2500 feet away from the nearest line. I got a servicabilty test and they found me not to be cost effective of course...I would be willing to pay almost whatever I had to to get the line to my house, but I'm not sure exactly what I would have to do. I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks.
Questions i have include: what kind of cable does Charter use?.I think it's RG-6 but i am not sure what kind

The telephone poles lead to my house but I am not sure who owns them and if Charter agrees what would they have to do..

El0him

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
is the option of moving into town a possibility? You are probably too far from the CO for your DSL service as well. Charter would need to drop a line to your place and at that distance, they probably have to put in an amp... it's gonna cost money... no matter what...

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I would like to supply a third option. Both sprint and vorizon have wireless internet available at dsl speeds I thinks it's called EVDO rev A or something. I think the service is like $60 a month for unlimited but they might nail you for a contract. The adapter looks like it's only for one computer so you might have to learn a bit to bridge to other comps too. I think they have coverage maps so you can first take a look it it's even available.
For the record 150 ms is not that bad of a ping. A typical home network wireless pings at 23 ms and your prolly playing people all over the US. Even with the fiber line at my college I never got below 80 ms. Back in the dial up days I pinged at 500 ms.

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
STAY AWAY FROM EVDO. It's nice for a laptop or something if you need intenet from anywhere, but it is BY NO MEANS comparible to DSL. Maybe ISDN or something. I have Verizon's Aircard on my laptop. It's the fastest one available from any carrier and it is not that fast. Also, it works exactly like a cell phone in that sometimes you get a dropped signal. It's not consistant. You can get pretty decent download speeds from Satelite but it costs around $80 a month. There are several satelite providers, I'm not sure who's the best. There is another technology appearing in rural america that is similar to WIFI. It is basically WIFI internet on steriods. Some call it microwave. Some Internet providor installs a big tower every mile or so that looks kinds like a cell tower. It has big transmittors that they aim directly at your house and a big receiver mounted on your roof aimed at the tower. These things can get pretty good througput, usually around 1.5 meg.

El0him

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
My sprint cell phone is EVDO (Evolution Data Optimized) and at the best signal, I'm only getting about 70k downloads.... This should be your very very very last option.