certwert

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
I have both Windows 7 and Vista installed. I have been trying to edit the boot menu and I think I've messed it up.

Windows 7, on partition C boots fine, but Windows Vista on drive W does not even though it shows up as every option as you can see below from the results of the bcdedit command.

All that shows up in the boot menu when I start the computer, is Windows 7 and "Windows Vista", not the "Windows Vista 4" entry I tried to create, nor the "Microsoft Windows Vista". When I do go to the Vista entry in the boot menu it just says something about there being no ntldr at the location , I assume because that entry is not pointed to the operating system installed on the W partition. The "Window Vista 4" was an attempt to make Vista come up under "Older Versions of Windows" which my laptop with Windows 7 did automatically, but right now no options work other than booting Windows 7. I know Vista works fine because it was just installed, it booted to it once, and I set up a few things, then restarted and its not working.

I have been using guides such as this to try to figure out my problem:
http://www.kombitz.com/2009/01/13/how-to-add-windows-xp-to-windows-7-boot-manager/

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7100]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=W:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {bootmgr}
displayorder {4b7da5ae-73f2-11de-8c06-d0bf1aacf2a5}
{ntldr}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}