GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3, BIOS Update GONE BAD, word of warning

ExTechie

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2007
I've built two systems in the past month.

1st for my brother
Intel E4300
stock Heat Sink
Corsair Memory
GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3
Antec Solo Case

2nd for my nephew
Intel E6600
U-120 Extreme Heat Sink
Patriot Memory
GA-965P-DS3
Antec Solo Case

I flashed the BIOS, version F11, of the second system with no problem. So, the next day, when I was at my brother's house, I decided to flash the bios on his desktop.

Problem

It seemed to work fine, this is the third time I've done it with the GA-965P-DS3 MB. But on restart it hung with this message "Scanning BIOS Image in Hard Drive...." Which scared the heck out of me.

So I tried a hard BIOS reset, no joy.

I looked to the Gigabyte website for help, and read those disclaimers (that I had ignored) concerning that any BIOS update was done at your own hazard and Gigabyte disavowed any responsibility.

Contacted tech support from the local retailer, that I bought the MB from. Their response it is past thirty days (by five days) and Gigabyte disavows any responsibility. They asked me why I decided to flash the BIOS. They said that I should only update the BIOS if something is not working properly. Basically they said I was screwed, I was not happy.

I took the PC home, had dinner and thought of a possible solution. My nephew still hadn't picked up his desktop yet. The message "Scanning BIOS Image in Hard Drive...." indicates to my poor brain, that the BIOS update failed and it is attempting to restore the older BIOS, but it is not finding it.

So I reasoned since the BIOS update was successful on PC 2, maybe it had a copy of the BIOS on it's hard drive, in a location that the BIOS restore utility could find. I swapped hard drives and it worked, then I swapped back and it still worked. I'm too old for the Happy Dance, I went to bed.

Regarding Intel TAT,

I did not originally run this utility on PC 1 (E4300). It is showing temps (at idle) of 50 and 51 centigrade, Gigabyte Easy Tune is showing temps of 35 centigrade, BIOS is showing 38 centigrade. Under full load TAT is 62 and Easy Tune is 51 centigrade.

I've read on other websites the TAT might not be accurate for the Intel E4300. It was not designed for the new stuff, not intended for casual use, depends on which CPU batch, and motherboard.

When I delivered the PC to my brother Easy Tune was reporting CPU temps in the high 20's and very low 30's.

The System Fan is working fine, tried turning it up but no change in CPU temperature. The Intel Heat Sink (1300 rpm), is on tight, but using stock Intel thermal paste. I would rather not pull the heat sink (I've got some Artic Silver now), I hate those plastic toggle bolts. Any insights regarding this matter most appreciated.

Tom

Pax2All

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Actually Extechie figured out the HD switch idea. Kudos to him for escaping a bios flash gone bad! F11 bios has treated me well so far, but some people report losing their OC settings on cold boots. The DS3 has a long thread over @ anand and it was discovered that people having probs with their OC settings vanishing with f10 and f11 had to manually set their PCIe freq to 102 and up the PCIe voltage by .1
I never saw any issues, but just a heads up in case :D

amiller099

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007

Tom, do you happen to know the exact location and format of the saved BIOS on the HD?

I have the same exact problem with my GA-P35-DS3R rev1.0. I have tried putting the newest BIOS I could find (F9) on a spare IDE drive in the root of c:\. This does not work. The file name is p35ds3r.f9.

This would be a real life-saver if you could find out for me. I have no other way to find out that I can think of, as I do not have a spare gigabyte motherboard.

On a side note, I have tried clearing CMOS with the pins, and also removing the battery. And trying different memory.

did74123

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Was there ever a solution found for this problem? I have the same issue with my GA X48T-DQ6, tried different RAM and copied the bios file to an IDE drive on c:

The file name is x48tdq6.f6d. I have seen other posts suggesting that the BIOS image is located in the very first sectors of the drive, not accessible by Windows. Is there anyone who tried writing the BIOS there?

mario