Vista compatable with XP to set up a network ? ? ?

Weichelt

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007
I"ve been having a heck of a time trying to set up a in home network to share a printer and hard drive. I had no problems setting up the network when we had two PC's with XP on them, but now 1 has Vista and it doesn't seem to recognize the network when its time to install.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks much!

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
What do you mean by "recognize the network?"
Some quick network setup basics...
Both computers should have a recognizable machine name, example "computer1", "computer2", or "Tom" and "Bob".
Both should be in the same workgroup. These settings are in the System settings found by right-clicking My Computer and clicking Properties.
Also, to make life easier, set both for Simple file sharing. Open My Computer. Click Tools, Folder Options. Click View and "Use Simple File Sharing" at the bottom to enable it. This is on the XP computer. I don't think Vista has a similar option. Also, in XP, you will need to make sure that file and printer sharing is enabled. The easiest way is to right-click a folder and try to share it. If sharing is not enabled, windows will ask you to enable it. Once all of this is done, you should be able to click start, run and //computer1 from computer2 or whatever you named them and it should bring up the list of shared printers and folders

mitzoff

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I'm having a similar problem. My vista PC can see the XP PC, but neither my XP Pc or Xbox can see the vista PC. The Xbox can see the XP PC though.

chris05

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
With vista you have to make your pc discoverable. If you dont set it up then by default vista makes the network connection a public loaction this allows you to see other devices but other device cannot see you. So set the network location to Work Or home and it will let it work all this is in network connections. Gotta love vista.

And again make sure you are in the same workgroup, same subnet, etc etc