HD DirecTiVo receiver and HDMI

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 19, 2005 5:29:45 AM

I got my new TV today, and it has an HDMI jack/socket, so I connected it
to my HD DirecTiVo receiver, and found that there was no signal.

I called DirecTV's tech support, and the guy told me that there's a bug
in most of those sets that cause the HDMI function to just not work. He
said that they're working on a firmware fix that will be downloaded to
the set via the phone line, but he has no idea when it will be ready.

He said that I could get a replacement receiver under warranty, but
there's no guarantee that the replacement set will not have the same bug.

So, in the meantime, I guess that I'll use component cables. *sigh*

January 19, 2005 2:33:49 PM

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
>I got my new TV today, and it has an HDMI jack/socket, so I connected it
> to my HD DirecTiVo receiver, and found that there was no signal.
>
> I called DirecTV's tech support, and the guy told me that there's a bug
> in most of those sets that cause the HDMI function to just not work. He
> said that they're working on a firmware fix that will be downloaded to
> the set via the phone line, but he has no idea when it will be ready.
>
> He said that I could get a replacement receiver under warranty, but
> there's no guarantee that the replacement set will not have the same bug.
>
> So, in the meantime, I guess that I'll use component cables. *sigh*

About half the CSRs say that. It isn't true. The problem is hardware.
Usually the HDMI card has gotten loose in shipping but sometimes other
problems are involved. Nothing can be done in software to fix the problem.
You can try reseating the card if you are comfortable working with computer
hardware. Otherwise just call back and get demand somebody from second tier
support. They will happily cross ship a new one. Keep the tracking number in
a safe place for the return shipment because they are good at not recording
the return and charging $1000 for the new unit. You may need the tracking
number to have the charge removed if that happens to you.

The HDMI problem has been reported to have been fixed as of the 11/22/2004
build date with estimates varying from 20% to 50% of those built before that
having problems. The date is on the back sticker unless the back sticker
doesn't have a date. The ones without a date are made in 1/2005 and they
claim the dates will return in February models.

Pat
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 3:41:14 PM

In article <xArHd.10928$Vj3.4577@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
"Greywolf" <greywolfin45@*spamisbad*sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> The HDMI problem has been reported to have been fixed as of the
> 11/22/2004 build date with estimates varying from 20% to 50% of those
> built before that having problems. The date is on the back sticker
> unless the back sticker doesn't have a date. The ones without a date
> are made in 1/2005 and they claim the dates will return in February
> models.

Mine has a date of 03 October 2004. I'll see what I can do about
getting it replaced from my dealer. If they can't replace it, I'll call
DirecTV.

Thanks.

-- Michelle