Help DirectX is going crazy!

thermalburn

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Hey everyone,

I got this weird problem happening to me and i couldn't find a solution on the web, so i figured i would as it here.

Latley i was itching to play DOOM 3 so installed it and tried to play it but it didnt work. What was funny is that 4 years ago it had worked fine on this same PC (haven't really upgraded anything since then lol). Anyway, i start troubleshooting and i end up running the DirectX 3d draw test in DxDiag; that's where my problem is.

When i run the test, there is supposed to be a revolving cube displayed on screen, however that revolving cube is spinning so fast that its literally a blur! I know for certain its not supposed to be like that, because i've run this so many times before. I uninstalled my Direct X driver (v. 10.0) and installed it again using the doom 3 disc (v. 9.0b). I ran the test but it was still spinning at super-sonic speeds!

I'm sure if i can solve this stupid problem i can start playing doom 3 again!

Please help guys! thanks in advance

thermalburn

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I'm not really sure haha.

I play and run Call of Duty 4 and 5 just fine. But for some reason i cant run Doom 3 even though its like 4yrs old. But whats irritating is that 4yrs ago when it just came out, i was running it perfectly. strange...

My video card: ATI Radeon 9800pro 128mb
CPU: Intel Pentium4 2.66GHz

It's difficult to determine why it no longer works, but there were a few revisions to DirectX 9 (which is what you're currently running) that might have broken that game. What does dxdiag show? DirectX 9.0b or 9.0c?

thermalburn

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
doom 3 comes with DirectX 9.0b which i had installed. However now i upgraded to DirectX 9.0c just so i can play COD4.

Upgrading to 9.0c didnt help either though...