Faster PC, Slower Boot?

raotor

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Hello,

I've asked the following question on other site forums without any real answer.

I've build a new system and installed a clean XP Sp3 OS.

For some reason though, my new faster system takes about 3 times longer to get past the initial Windows XP Logo boot screen than my slower XP SP2 system did. I don[t think that this boot cycle should take so long (around 20 seconds as opposed to around 7 on my old slower PC).

Does anyone have any clues?

It really isn't a major thing, but when you go from a single-core P4/160Gb HDD to a 3Ghz Core 2 Duo with SATA II HDD's with approximately 40% faster transfer rate then you wonder why this slower boot time is the case.

What is installed that wasn't installed in the previous system? Are there services that you didn't have before? Do you have an anti-virus or other services that check for updates at boot time? Do you always reboot your system or do you use Hibernate?

raotor

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

This issue was present immediately after I had done a virgin install of XP Sp3. Nothing else was installed, so it cannot be anything application related. I do not tend to tinker with services, so pretty much the default stuff is running. Bear in mind that this delay is during initial boot - i.e when the screen is black with the Windows logo displayed, so I don't htink it has yet conected to any Internet connection. I assume this is the phase when the main kernel, device drivers and services are started.

I notice that my graphics card driver is initialized at about 18 seconds after the black boot screen is displayed becaise its fan slows down. However, I think 18 seconds to reach this point is slow.

The key difference is that my old system was running SP2 - but with all patches installed, so I cannot seethat this should cause such a difference.

Also, I am running my system using 2 HDD's configured in RAID 1 mode under the on-board ICH10R controller, but my old system used the same setup under the older ICH6R without such boot delays, so I am none the wiser :(