Timing my next build

egarnaat

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
I have been planning on building a gaming PC next month, and wondered if there was anything worth waiting for, weither it be new hardware or a price drop. The rough draft of my system would be:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
8800GTS
CORSAIR XMS2 DOMINATOR 2GB
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD
ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP P965

I would like to make the purchase before the end of summer.

...Oh I was also planning on Overclocking the system too.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
i would have choose exactly the same parts as you, except the motherboard i would have gone with a gigabyte DS3 they built to OC and to last.

Also many people will persaude you to get different RAM, at the level you are buying, its really personal perferance and i would have choosen the same, except Dominater is really the end of the line of XMS2 so you may want to look into getting some XMS3 instead.

Although the Stock intel cooler is surprisingly good, i woulf get something a little zingier, like a zalman CNPS 7700 cu, that it will as lway be cool and quite.

Apart from that it all looks sound to me

July 22, you'll be able to get a Q6600 or an E6850 for $230. Either of those is nicer than the E6600.

With a little luck the 8900 GTX will be out by that time too, but nobody really knows when that's going to happen. Anyway, when it does happen your GTS should cost less.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
cheer for the agreement, but also dont forget a good ase these are underated, dont get some plastic molded gaming thing go for a good qual aliminium case from coolermaster, lian li, ect

egarnaat

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Thanks for the feedback. I guess i should have mentioned that I have a current liquid cooling solution that i am going to carry over to my new build.

Dobby: Thanks for the Mobo recommendation, but I picked the Asus because It came with quite a few nice features like the additional chipset fan for liquid cooled CPU's. I also picked the Dominator memory because I wanted memory that would stay cool with minimal airflow due to the liquid cooling. I haven't heard much about DDR3, will it work with the current Core 2 Mobo's? Also, what is the difference in performance?

Aevm: Will the aforementioned Mobo's work with the E6850, because if I remember correctly those processors are going to have a faster FSB?

Aevm: Will the aforementioned Mobo's work with the E6850, because if I remember correctly those processors are going to have a faster FSB?

No idea, sorry. I haven't done much research on E6850 because personally I want the Q6700. I'd wait until the E6850 is actually out and pick a mobo after that. Let Anandtech review it first and make recommendations. You might want something based on P35, for example. Read the articles at www.anandtech.com for some good reviews.