64 bit needed or 32bit fine?

elmuchachos

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I currently have xp 32bit with 6gb of ram...with 32bit only seeing 3.25gb of ram, should i upgrade to 64bit or is it just not worth it? I dont play comp games....just inet, music, quickpar and winrar at the same time.

the only reason i ask is because in order to update fw on my 360, i need 32bit windows, besides that nothing would be affected with 64bit.

will it make things that much faster?

I upgraded recently from a seagate ide hard drive to Samsung F1 HD103UJ and the difference is night and day with quickpar and winrar going 5-10x faster, but will 64bit make those even faster?

elmuchachos

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

so i guess the answer is no? i had 2 gb laying around and was going to buy 2 more but then there was a good deal on newegg when i was building my last computer for 2x2gb sticks so thats how i ended up with 6

Why do you need 32-bit Windows to update the 360? No 64-bit driver available? If you want 64-bit, I would suggest going with Vista anyway and staying away from XP Pro x64... driver support isn't as robust as it is in Vista. I don't know anyone with a 360 and 64-bit Windows, so I really can't help you there.

elmuchachos

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

jungleflasher for the 360 runs off 32 bit drivers and it wont work with xp64. as for vista i do not want vista at all, i played around with it some when it came out and hated it and like xp personally more than vista.

If you've been ok up to this point with the wasted RAM, then you shouldn't worry too much about it. The extra would add the potential for faster operations, but you don't use anything that is going to tap out the 3.25 that you are using now.

If you are thinking of going to a 64bit system, get the new windows7 when it comes out. It's getting real good reviews. I hate to say it, but it's more like vista than XP. But that seems to be the direction Microsoft is going. We all may as well get used to the changes.

Trying 64-bit XP will make you hate XP. I'm saying if you want 64-bit, then go Vista. But if you're going to stick with 32-bit, then you might as well stay with XP. Right now, XP-x64 is a waste of money... especially since Win 7 (Business and Ultimate editions) are coming with "XP Mode".