Sign in with
Your question

Can I get (and use) DirectX 10 without Vista??

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Windows Vista
  • Directx
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 1, 2007 8:59:09 PM

Can I get (and use) DirectX 10 without Vista??

More about : directx vista

June 1, 2007 9:25:13 PM

There are projects in the works that are reverse engineering DX10 for XP, but they are slow and buggy right now and still won't necessarily convince the games that you actually have DX10 (they might check for Vista instead of DX10).
Related resources
June 1, 2007 10:45:14 PM

at the moment.....no

in the future....who knows....maybe yes...most likely no.
June 3, 2007 12:09:30 AM

no there isn't a flawless way, however there are hacks/rumors floating around that you can use the DX10 SDK on windows xp to let you run some DX10 stuff
June 3, 2007 12:14:30 AM

No you can't. By the time you can, the rest of us will be enjoying DX12.
June 3, 2007 12:34:08 AM

Theres some group that i think was mentioned in some newsletter from cnet or some such site, anyway some real site not an inquirer type one. I went over to take a look and they have set up Direct X10 to work in a wrapper. That said, i say work ..it doesn't actualy do anything at the moment. They have the files etc for download. If only i can remember the link. Anyway I think it will be the case like emulators will need a far more powerful machine to run the thing in a non Vista OS, than with Vista for the same results.
June 3, 2007 12:36:33 AM

Right now you can not even get DX10 on vista to work. :lol: 
June 3, 2007 3:21:11 AM

theres also some proyects to "emulate" or bring the feactures of directX10 under the next revision of Opengl.
June 3, 2007 3:56:41 PM

The DX10 on xp thing is called the Alkyl project.

Link
June 3, 2007 4:32:56 PM

nope u can't use DX10 in XP
June 3, 2007 4:55:24 PM

Quote:
nope u can't use DX10 in XP

Not yet certainly. Ah well, let's hope this Alkyl project comes to fruition.
Hopefully the kinks in Vista will have been ironed out by then, so it won't be necessary.

We can all dream, eh?
June 3, 2007 5:32:37 PM

Like stated repeatedly above... you cant. But thats just for now.
June 3, 2007 5:33:17 PM

actually its possible to play vista only games on not a vista os, so all in all yes, but u wont have the dx10 effects if u dont have the hardware for it ;) 
June 3, 2007 7:01:16 PM

Yes I seen that to.
June 3, 2007 7:32:00 PM

that's how MICROSOFT is FORCING users to pay even more - for a slower, bloated, less functional program

no vista - no dx10 candy, biaaa
that's what you do when you have a monopoly

ima stick with my dx9 and probably replay some of the older classics -screw paying $600+ so i can have sweet shadows, ... :roll:
June 3, 2007 7:49:23 PM

no, but ms has a plan . DX 9.0L will let run DX10 games
June 3, 2007 7:57:21 PM

I'm not quite sure where you got $600 from. There are plenty of legal ways to get vista for free (I use the MSDN-AA, but another way is to find a friend with it pre-installed who wants XP, let him install xp with your key and you install vista with his).

If you meant the GPU, I'm sure the bulk of people buying dx10 cards are doing so for their excellent dx9 performance or video decoding. Since you're going to upgrade eventually anyway, you may as well get a dx10 card when you do.

Oh yeah, nobody is FORCING you to do anything.
June 3, 2007 7:57:44 PM

Quote:
Right now you can not even get DX10 on vista to work. :lol: 

From the Lost Planet DX10 demo, I can say otherwise. Game sucks, but it sure looks pretty :) 

And crackdlr: The NT5 core has had a run of roughly seven years (from Windows 2000's release in February 2000 on). It's Microsoft's prerogative to be able to move the clock forward a bit. You have to have a new system to run DX10 games; why not a new OS? Just because you don't like Vista doesn't mean MS can't require its use. And, with a new copy of Vista Home Premium not really being much of a difference in price than what a new copy of XP used to be, it looks pretty much like a wash from the system builder's perspective.
June 3, 2007 8:14:23 PM

sorry, you are wrong.

dx9.0L was some code-name for early dx10 development (like a "dx10 beta")

what you are reffering to is some RUMOR that was started back in october 2006 that said Microsoft was going to release a patch so people could play dx10 games on XP... no f-bomb way - THEY GONNA BLEED YOU DRY!!

hahaha - people actually think Microsoft is "for the user"? :lol: 
wake up, son.

sources:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/200605251040...
June 3, 2007 8:18:22 PM

9.0L is the DirectX version used for DirectX 9 capabilities in Vista... and, like 10, is Vista-only.
June 3, 2007 8:24:05 PM

Windows Vista Ultimate is completely unnecessary, and you know it. Stop being disingenuous. Even amongst enthusiasts, not much more than Home Premium or Business is necessary, unless you just want bragging rights.
June 3, 2007 8:43:47 PM

disingenous, eh?

most people use xp pro, sir, NOT XP HOME or XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION

take a poll if you want
why? because it works better. cause thats how MICROSOFT takes your money

you probably also believe Vista Home runs faster too, huh?
June 3, 2007 8:49:01 PM

Okay, then, tell me what Ultimate has that Home Premium or Business doesn't have that will improve performance, besides the WinSAT utility (which may or may not improve performance). And most people use XP Pro because Home only recognizes one CPU... that or they just pirated Pro.

Also, if you're buying new hardware, you probably aren't purchasing a retail version of Vista, you're more than likely going to buy an OEM copy, especially if you're buying online (which your argument has followed already).

The fact is, Vista Ultimate mainly just has a bunch of features 99% of us will never use, and not giving you anything that genuinely improves performance. You may want to do some research on the different versions of Vista before you say anything about it (and yes, Home Basic and Starter are awful, and should be avoided, just like XP Home should be).
June 3, 2007 9:10:03 PM

Only differences I've ever seen between XP home and pro are the ability to join a domain, number of pc to share a folder to and advanced folder security. Never noticed anything diffreent between the 2 for gaming(if have single cpu) vid drivers/settings etc the same.
The reason Pro sold so many more is because any office that uses server for domain/Active Directory had to have it and business is a large proportion of pc sales.
June 3, 2007 9:23:00 PM

yes, but microsoft has nothing to do with futuremark as they are two different independant companies. :wink:
June 3, 2007 9:23:56 PM

i still use xp home cause it came with the pc 4 years ago...lol.

havnt had any issues with it.
a b U Graphics card
June 3, 2007 9:41:43 PM

I HATE Micro$oft. They should make sure that Vista can play even DX9 games before they release DX10. And have good support for hardware.
June 3, 2007 9:58:14 PM

Quote:
I HATE Micro$oft. They should make sure that Vista can play even DX9 games before they release DX10. And have good support for hardware.

It can. Grow up.
June 3, 2007 10:01:08 PM

Quote:

The question is: are you saying this based on first-hand experience, or are you just guessing? I only boot into Vista Business, and the only game I've had that ran in XP that doesn't in Vista is Need for Speed Carbon, and that's mainly just due to the fact that EA thinks they don't need to do anything about it because Vista came out after Carbon did. EA aside, everything else runs just fine, and, while some games run slower, the difference is largely negligible...
June 3, 2007 10:22:37 PM

I agree. The only problem I have had is with BF2142. For some reason I just doesn't want to run on my system under Vista, otherwise everything else has run fine.

As far as DX10 on XP... not going to happen anytime soon. Bite the bullet and move on. If you want Xp you get DX 9, if you want DX 10 you get Vista, that's it.
June 3, 2007 11:02:04 PM

I am so looking forward to DX10 so that I can spend MORE money to get 1/2 of the framerates.

Im running a 7600GT now. The fact that it cost me $90, is tough enough on my budget. It runs FEAR just fine at 1600x1200, which is all I really need.

Why would I want to spend another couple hundred dollars to get Vista and a DX10 card so that I can get marginally better graphics at half the framerate?
June 3, 2007 11:24:09 PM

Quote:
Why would I want to spend another couple hundred dollars to get Vista and a DX10 card so that I can get marginally better graphics at half the framerate?

For the same reason you bought your 7600GT to play DX9 games with marginally better graphics at half the framerate of their DX8 counterparts. Nobody's forcing you to get anything; if it's not worth your money, don't get it. Just don't complain about that you can't play certain games when they come out, as, if it were really worth your while, you would have upgraded your system.
June 5, 2007 7:20:23 PM

Quote:
9.0L is the DirectX version used for DirectX 9 capabilities in Vista... and, like 10, is Vista-only.

^
Yup, that is true, basically there will be 2 dx's running, dx10, and dx9.0L(which will be responsible for running the old dx9 "stuff")
June 5, 2007 8:14:40 PM

Quote:
Im running a 7600GT now. The fact that it cost me $90, is tough enough on my budget. It runs FEAR just fine at 1600x1200, which is all I really need.

how many fps is "just fine" and at what settings?
June 6, 2007 1:10:05 PM

by the time dx11 comes out, perhaps I'll have enough cash to upgrade my system so that I can run vista + games without it being slow due to that slug of an OS.

Though in upgrading, I'll lose my tv-tuner, my printer, 80% of my software...

yeah maybe by dx13 :p 
June 6, 2007 9:30:50 PM

^ that is definitively why im not upgrading to vista, games wont make me upgrade to that pathetic os, if anything ill install it on a separate hd, and put the games on an external drive with that os(using esata it should be fast) so if anything It might work in dual boot ;) , thats the closest ill ever want to get to have anythign to do with vista, there will be no way that I will make vista my primary os lol, lol i even thought about going to the dark side.....err mandrake land, lol since there is such an increase in support lately for linux :) , hail (...whatever was the name of that program was that allows for porting windows games to linux ;) .... got it , i think it was called whine, or wine, and there was also swordfish :) )
June 6, 2007 9:47:08 PM

Quote:
no, but ms has a plan . DX 9.0L will let run DX10 games

you're prety uninformed
as DX9.0L is actually the directX9 api for Windows Vista ( since it has natively DX10?)

at least thats what I remember reading in this forum a lot of times.

Quote:
I am so looking forward to DX10 so that I can spend MORE money to get 1/2 of the framerates.

I vote this for quote of the month!
July 15, 2007 1:44:46 AM

fight fight fight
!