normal fans hurt Hard drives??

fire_storm

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Hi

sorry for the stupid question, some guy in a store installed a normal LED fan onto my HD ( the side holes which is used to hold down the hard drive) he just used a screw and attached it to the side of the HD, that wont hurt my HD right? i have very important Data on it :roll:

here are some pics but u wont really be able to see anything since i used my phone

http://img238.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image061jy1.jpg

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
While it shouldn't hurt anything, why did he do it? Hard drives do get hot but I've never had a problem with overheating and not sure I'd want that hot air blowing into the case. I'd remove it because it really doesn't make sense unless someone else can give a good reason to keep it. If you have important data, suggest you put together an external hard drive to back it up on.

elkhart007

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I can't see your picture but I don't think a fan on a HD is necessary. Only trouble I ever had with a hot HD was back when I had a 40G IBM Deskstar SCSI drive. Now that thing really got hot. Other then that I've never seen anything outrageous.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
well i asked many people and they all said remove it...
lets say i need to back up 1+ TB can u suggest a easy/cheap way...

While not cheap, at least I don't think $500 or so is cheap, your best bet with this much data would be a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device. This is an example but there are loads of other such devices and reviews.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2106424,00.asp

The only other solutions I can think of would be to get a couple of 750GB drives and external cases but then you'll have to figure out how to split the data and backing up regularly would be a real pain. You could also build a server. Haven't tried a NAS but once we move and are settled in I'm planning on getting one, 4 computers and a wife who needs to keep backing up things really simple.