Loose connection after reboot

LarryL

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
I recently installed a Dlink DIR-615 for my home network. The signal to my laptop is strong and stable. But every single time my desktop reboots I loose the Internet connection to both my desktop and laptop. This necessitates resetting the router by unplugging and reconnecting the power cord, which results in reestablishing the Internet. Dlink customer support has so far been unable to solve the problem.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Make sure that the Internet Protocol (IP/TCP) is set to Automatic for both the IP and DNS address on all your machines. Right Click My Network, Properties, and Right Click on your conncetion.

LarryL

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Thanks g-paw; I saw a similar answer you gave to another thread so I did that before I posted and it was set for automatic. So that's not the problem:-(

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Try resetting the router to the factory default. There should be instructions in the manual. Should be a reset button on the back of the router. It will reset everything including passwords so make sure you have the default password for the router. When you do this unplug the modem and turn off the computer. Once reset restart the router, wait a couple a couple minutes and plug in the router, wait a few minutes and start the computer.