No HDTV logo on CBS

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 19, 2005 11:13:50 PM

I get all my local channels here in NYC in hd Lately, I noticed that when a
program came on CBS, it would say this program is being shown in HDTV via
Samsung or/Panasonic and etc. Now when i watched the sunday 60 minutes, that
logo doesnot come on, and yet my reciever shows that its being broadcast in
i1080 hd. Why would they NOT mention that on some of their shows? In faact NBC
and ABC rarely even show a logo of such.

More about : hdtv logo cbs

January 19, 2005 11:13:51 PM

On 19 Jan 2005 20:13:50 GMT, harri85274@aol.com (Harri85274) wrote:

>I get all my local channels here in NYC in hd Lately, I noticed that when a
>program came on CBS, it would say this program is being shown in HDTV via
>Samsung or/Panasonic and etc. Now when i watched the sunday 60 minutes, that
>logo doesnot come on, and yet my reciever shows that its being broadcast in
>i1080 hd. Why would they NOT mention that on some of their shows? In faact NBC
>and ABC rarely even show a logo of such.

They should stop showing logos and let us see the picture
Thumper
To reply drop XYZ in address
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 11:59:47 PM

Your receiver will show 1080i, even if the network show is SD. That's
because the HD channel you are receiving is sending in 1080i. But 60
Minutes is not an HD show (or so I believe). Normally, you will get shows
like that with bars on either side of the 4:3 picture and the picture will
be SD quality, but your set will tell you it is getting 1080i. Unless, of
course, your local station puts SD content into stretch-SD mode, in which
case you will see a picture that is not only poor quality but all out of
shape, as well.

mack
austin

"Harri85274" <harri85274@aol.com> wrote in message
>I get all my local channels here in NYC in hd Lately, I noticed that when a
> program came on CBS, it would say this program is being shown in HDTV via
> Samsung or/Panasonic and etc. Now when i watched the sunday 60 minutes,
> that
> logo doesnot come on, and yet my reciever shows that its being broadcast
> in
> i1080 hd. Why would they NOT mention that on some of their shows? In faact
> NBC
> and ABC rarely even show a logo of such.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 12:22:59 AM

Stations will pillarbox shows that are still standard def NTSC. Your
signal may read 1080, but when you see black bars on either side it
definitely means the show originated in standard def NTSC.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 11:55:42 AM

Mack McKinnon wrote:
> Your receiver will show 1080i, even if the network show is SD. That's
> because the HD channel you are receiving is sending in 1080i. But 60
> Minutes is not an HD show (or so I believe).

As of this point none of the prime time news shows are in HD. They are
all 4:3 SD and show up as pillarboxed. Few of the reality shows are HD
either, as the major selling point of the shows to the network
executives is that they are cheap to produce. As professional HD
portable cameras become more common, we will likely see more of the
reality shows that are set in cities or in studios switch to HD such as
American Idol which is in HD this year. Although I don't know if
American Idol qualifies as a "reality" show.

I have not seen even a rumor as to when the networks might start
switching the prime time news shows to HD. It is likely to be years
before that happens.

Alan F
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:10:10 PM

"Harri85274" <harri85274@aol.com> wrote in message
>I get all my local channels here in NYC in hd Lately, I noticed that when a
> program came on CBS, it would say this program is being shown in HDTV via
> Samsung or/Panasonic and etc. Now when i watched the sunday 60 minutes,
> that
> logo doesnot come on, and yet my reciever shows that its being broadcast
> in
> i1080 hd. Why would they NOT mention that on some of their shows? In faact
> NBC
> and ABC rarely even show a logo of such.

====================================
60 minutes is not HD.
It is SD and 4:3
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:11:00 PM

"Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Mack McKinnon wrote:
>> Your receiver will show 1080i, even if the network show is SD. That's
>> because the HD channel you are receiving is sending in 1080i. But 60
>> Minutes is not an HD show (or so I believe).
>
> As of this point none of the prime time news shows are in HD. They are
> all 4:3 SD and show up as pillarboxed. Few of the reality shows are HD
> either, as the major selling point of the shows to the network
> executives is that they are cheap to produce. As professional HD
> portable cameras become more common, we will likely see more of the
> reality shows that are set in cities or in studios switch to HD such as
> American Idol which is in HD this year. Although I don't know if
> American Idol qualifies as a "reality" show.
>
> I have not seen even a rumor as to when the networks might start
> switching the prime time news shows to HD. It is likely to be years
> before that happens.

=================================
Or maybe only months.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 6:21:56 PM

"Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote

> I have not seen even a rumor as to when the networks might start
> switching the prime time news shows to HD. It is likely to be years
> before that happens.

Somewhere I read or heard that NBC was talking about going HD with their
evening newscast sometime later in 2005.

mack
austin
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 10:31:50 PM

Harri85274 wrote:
> I get all my local channels here in NYC in hd Lately, I noticed that
when a
> program came on CBS, it would say this program is being shown in HDTV
via
> Samsung or/Panasonic and etc. Now when i watched the sunday 60
minutes, that
> logo doesnot come on, and yet my reciever shows that its being
broadcast in
> i1080 hd. Why would they NOT mention that on some of their shows? In
faact NBC
> and ABC rarely even show a logo of such.

CBS doesn't send 60 minutes to its affiliates on the CBS-HD satellite.
All local stations must upconvert the show from the analog CBS
satellite feed on their own.
!