Can my computer run Ultimate 64-bit?

cheezstik

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I am currently on windows 7 ultimate 32-bit and it take 1 minute to boot it up including the long, annoying asus MoBo screens which isn't bad on my standards but after clickng my username, it takes another 0.5-2mins to load everything up. While loading, Nothing shows up but my desktop icons, taskbar and mouse. Right clicking or pressing control+alt+delete usually speeds it up but sometimes it freezes. Trying to run firefox or another program will usually do nothing and that program will run after it's finished loading and rarely trying to run a program will freeze my computer. I don't know if this has something to do with my hard drive or os because my hard drive is a puny, slow maxtor 80gb hard drive from an old intel pre-built computer from 2004 and that computer was on xp 32-bit and was pretty slow. I know it's done loading when my sound doesn't say mute in the icon tray, and my internet icon says connected. And also, my gadgets and objectdocks gradually appear.

My specs:
asus m4a89gtd pro / usb3
ati radeon 4290 integrated graphics (included with MoBo)
ECS ng220c/nvidia gt220 (i plug the secondary screen into this/// a friend gave this to me for free)
amd phenom x6 II 1055t (included with mobo)
4 gigabytes of ram (don't know the brand but i dont think that's too important)
32-bit windows 7 ultimate (upgrading to 64-bit soon)
2 vga 17 inch 1280x1024 screens multi monitor setup (I'll probably switch one out for a hd and or 3d monitor)
80gb hard drive maxtor

Does my computer qualify?

Yes. Assuming you can find 64bit drivers for all your hardware and peripherals.
But it won't make it any faster tho. In fact it will get even slower, because 64bit Windows 7 and associated programs and drivers are bigger, so take longer to load. As you already guessed to be the case, your key bottleneck from your list is your totally antiquated harddrive. You will do yourself a huge favour by getting a decent HDD (or better yet, an SSD).

cheezstik

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Thanks :). Will upgrading hard drive up the fps and built-in wi-fi of some games installed on to it aswell? Because the fps on some games seems to be slower than it should be and internet isn't that fast either. Also, what advantages does 64-bit have over 32-bit? Is it worth it to upgrade? I'm looking for speed. And one last thing, with ssd storage, are they that much faster? Because after doing a little bit of reasearch i saw that they use ram (which can't be too healthy because I already have a 32-bit os which limits my ram and 2 video cards and on top of all that, i only have 4 gigabyte ram), they are more expensive and have much, much less space. From my local store which is MSY (http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf) a 128 gb ssd is $200, a 240gb ssd is an unaffordable $549 which I could get a top of the line graphics card with while I could get a fast 2tb hdd for $100 max.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006

Wow..... i take it your not running windows 64Bit telling someone that their system will get even slower because drivers and such are bigger and therefore take longer to load.... i haven't heard something that funny for a while seriously i busted a gut with that one. I've been running windows 64 bit for a long time now and with Vista it sucked because support for hardware was not there at all now with windows 7 that not an issue when i went from Windows 32-64 with windows 7 I noticed things going faster not slowing down and maybe that's because the basis for 64 bit is that the CPU instead of only executing 32 Bits of info at a time have execute 64 bits at a time and this person has a CPU that has 5 cores

Now to answer the original question I do agree with you upgrade the HDD first and then reinstall windows 80Gb sounds like alot but with just windows drivers and updates windows 7 Ultimate 64 takes up about 20GB by it's self (I had to reinstall windows about 2 months ago) so now that 80/74 GB is really 50GB useable not much left really not by today's standards anyway

cheezstik

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

6 cores actually. But anyway, what hard drive would suit me? SSD or HDD? 80gb of space is so bad for me, barely any of it is useable because of windows 7s huge install space and the thing itself is pretty slow.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006

SSD's are still really pricey so unless it's in your budget I would stick to a normal Hard drive
Also now that you'll be going to a 64 bit OS you can install More Ram if you want and now it's useable

Newegg has one on Sale today 1.5Tb for around 60 Bux

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145520&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL080911&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL080911-_-EMC-080911-Index-_-InternalHardDrives-_-22145520-L0C

it's listed as 64 but use this code and it will take it down some

EMCKBKA22

Hope this all helps

I am actually running 64bit Win7. I'll elaborate further, so you better see where I'm coming from, not that I am upset that I spread some much needed laughter, regardless of the reason!
Win7 64bit and the associated drivers are unquestionably larger (physical space required on the HDD) than their 32bit counterparts, no? Ok, with that irrevocably established, if you are going to install that on an ancient 80GB HDD, then it stands to reason that Win7 64bit will almost certainly be slower loading than the 32bit version because the whole thing is about 20% more bloated, and thus take 20% longer to load. I think you must have missed the OPs main complaint, i.e. slow loading and boot up times - all I'm saying is 64bit Win7 will not only not help in that regard but probably be slower (loading) still. Don't see how that hilarious, but everybody is different.

Incidentally, assuming the OP purchases a new HDD (or SSD), it will be worth installing Win7 64bit since 4GB of RAM is available. As i said earlier, this advice comes with the caveat that there are 64bit drivers for any old printers and scanners etc the OP might have - the extra expense of buying new hardware just to run 64bit Win7 can be a deal breaker for many.

cheezstik

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

thanks but newegg isn't available to me unless I wanna pay another $20 and a week of time for it. But a 2tb drive from that brand is available from where I am but they are much slower than the samsung or wd ones which are $3-$5 more expensive and another 2000rpm faster.