Sign in with
Your question

IE says higher version required for Windows Update

Last response: in Windows XP
April 29, 2009 1:40:03 PM

I'm fixing a friend's PC with Win. XP, SP3. When I go to Windows update, the page opens to a message that says the following:

-->Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

-->To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

-->To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.

-->If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on Automatic Updates:

-->Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
-->Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:
-->Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
-->Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
-->Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off.

There were quite a few viruses and trojans on the PC when I got it, including 180 solutions, lsasser, etc. Various utilities designed specifically to remove these things got rid of them, and a scan by Trend MIcro's online virus scanner removed more. I then installed Norton AV 2009 which found three more viruses.

This is a late model Dell computer. Does Dell disable the Windows Update feature or is something else telling the site that IE is lower than version 5,

Thanks for your help!

Jim
April 29, 2009 4:19:10 PM

No, there is something else. What version is it running?
April 29, 2009 6:08:57 PM

It's running IE 8 on Windows XP with Service Pack 3.
Related resources
April 29, 2009 8:35:43 PM

When you click on Help --> About it diplays version 8.0.6001 or something along those lines? You may have to uninstall IE 8 and go back to 6 or 7 to get Windows update working again. Once it's working, reinstall 8 and see if it still works once all the other updates are done.
April 30, 2009 6:04:39 AM

Yes, it does show 8.0....and I upgraded to that thinking if may correct the problem. I'll downgrade as soon as I get a chance to see if Windows Update functions correcdtly then.

Thanks for you assistance!
May 1, 2009 6:09:48 AM

Followed your suggestion but it would not downgrade to 7. Windows said there was a later version already installed. So, I had to download 8 again and install it again--because windows had already gotten rid of 8--I think.

Probably something really messed up on the PC. I'm going to suggest to the owner that we backup and reinstall XP or upgrade to Vista.

Thanks again for your assistance. I may play with this system a little more but our local techs get $ 80 plus for what I've done and this is on my time--even though I enjoy it, enough is enough.

Jim
!