Advice with UV lighting plz

Vista_Nueva

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I'm looking at xoxide.com for cool stuff and I saw UV reactive wire and a UV reactive acrylic case. for these products will they light up with blue led light or do you need a separate UV light? Where do i get a UV light?

Also, does the case: http://www.xoxide.com/xopacl2.html actually light up that well or is that just enhancement?

...and what is EL wire?

albundy2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
blue led's do have a slight uv effect but pale in comparisaon to actual uv lighting [it a blacklight you've played with them? had one before, right?]

el=electro luminescence[spelling?] pretty glowing wire to wrap stuff with.

cold cathode lighting is what you seek i believe uv lighting <--- just an example the reveiws dint look to good for this particular product, but they're newegg reveiws which are an entirely different lesson. [any idiot can write one even if they dont own it. i've seen products with excellent pro reveiws rated down to one egg by fanboi's and idiots. so take reveiws with grain of salt and make up your own mind. most reveiwers there are noobs that have a "high technical understanding"-umm yeah unless you design and make them oyur understanding is above average at best.] [/rant] 8O :D

yes it does light up like that in the dark, but just like a blacklight, it fades almost completely when you turn the regular lights in the room on, or in daylight.

hope that helps... anyone want to correct me feel free...

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Yeah, all you need are UV reactive cold cathodes. There are UV LED's as well, but cathodes are bigger and (usually) cheaper.

Check Xoxide again, they have 15" UV cathodes for $7, IIRC.

albundy2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
Yeah, all you need are UV reactive cold cathodes. There are UV LED's as well, but cathodes are bigger and (usually) cheaper.

Check Xoxide again, they have 15" UV cathodes for $7, IIRC.

do the led's work better than cathodes?

the led's from my fans have some effect, but my black light works killer. the black light wont fit w/o alot of modding[antec 900 no thanks, 50 cheapie maybe], plus extra power cord leaving case. i am assuming the cathodes are the same, but designed to fit easier/run off molex psu power.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Not really, most LED's have a very limited viewing angle, and they're so small that they can't put out a whole lot of light to being with.

n8dogg

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
no led's are not the same you need a cold cathode. also it look very sweet with all uv reactive stuff in your case and a few 15' cathodes in there! w00t!