chrisLU5

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Hi about a 10 months ago i brought a custom pc which had vista installed, as i now have an absolute hatred for vita i tried a fresh install of xp, i formated the hdd using the XP Professional SP2 disc, it formats ok but when it goes to the installation screen it gets to 39 Mins left and then the PC randomly shuts down, i then tried the installation again it gets to exactly the same point and does the same shuts down over and over again, so i then resorted to the vista install disc which worked fine.....any ideas as to why xp wont install??

Thanks

chrisLU5

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Black and Silver ATX Micro Tower Case
400 Watt Power Supply Unit
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM
AMD Athlon 5400+ X2 Dual Core 2.8GHz 1MB Cache
Samsung 3GB (3x1GB) DDR2 800MHz
250GB 7200RPM SATA II
Samsung SH-S203 20x DVD RW LightScribe Black SATA
nVidia GeForce 8600GT 1GB
Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium (32-bit)

Vista is a pretty combersome OS, specially the 32 bit. Your CPU is a bit on the low end, but certainly capable of getting the job done. The best way to speed up vista is to turn off the security notifications and use msconfig to disable any unnecessary programs and services from starting up with windows.

When installing xp was it a continual restart loop? Did you give it a chance to continue installation? Some bios's have an OS install mode, if it's not enabled it could cause issues.

n3f0ur

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Restart pc/power it on, tap DEL key, load failsafe default, go to Integrated Peripherals, set OnChip SATA Type to Native IDE, install XP.