Vista problems

yelto

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
HI have xp 32 bit installed and running. i bought vista 64 bit (which also came with 32 bit) and a new hard drive. i tried to install vista 64 bit onto the new drive but it would not work (as in trouble getting it onto there then once on would not boot), then i tried to use the 32 bit by starting xpm then running the 32 bit vista and installing it onto the new drive. but it will not boot. .. has anyone got any ideas why please??

so frustrated.

Do NOT install from within XP. Unplug your XP drive entirely. Format the new drive, and install whichever version of Vista you want to it. Once you have Vista updated and running properly, you can plug the old XP drive back in.

If you want to set up the dual boot: Shut down, boot to your Vista DVD, select Install - on the second screen in the lower left there is an option to "Repair". Choose that, let it run, and tell it 'Yes' you want to repair the errors.

yelto

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009

i tried. but no joy. vista just wont install for some unexplainable reason. 32bit or 64bit (both on separate dvd's). anyone any ideas?

yelto

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
sorry.

all origanal software. the vista i have on 2 seperate discs. 32bit and a 64bit.

i have xp working fine (xp 32bit). i bought a 400gb seagate hard drive. (ide). i tried to install vista 32 onto it but no joy. so i tried 64 bit. no joy. as in it says it is going on ok (rather slowly though) .. but on it's restart it wont come back on. so i partitioned the 400gb drive into smaller partitions (80gb's) and tried again. but still no joy. tested the brand new drive and it says it is good. also di the repair option on the vista and it says it is all ok. but still it wont boot up. there is no error codes just a black screen after the initial boot and it tries to load up the vista instalation.

thankyou for you time in advance by the way.