Trouble Removing Hard Drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickpdx

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
I am trying to remove a hard drive out of an older computer so that I can use it in a different device. I have moved all information off of the hard drive and formatted it so it is clean. When I unplugged the hard drive and turned the PC back on it gives me an error "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.". I shut down the PC and plug the HD back in and it booted back up no error. Like I said the hard drive has been formatted so there is no information on the drive.

The mobo is a MSI Nforce 4 and the other hard drives on the system are 2 SATA drives setup in a RAID array. The RAID is where the OS is installed (windows vista). My bios is set to boot the nforce raid array as it always has been. I assume that there is some setting to change or file to edit but I don't know what to do.

I have included a screen shot of how my disks are installed. Hope it helps. The D drive is the one that I am trying to remove from the system. I am guessing the problem has something to do with why it says "system" in the status.

Thanks for any help!

Nick

drives.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-rWgRRdzqER_6me2kxMRoQ?feat=directlink

Solution
When you installed windows on the array, was this 3rd drive still installed? If it was, and in the master position, windows will still use that drive in the boot sequence.

Remove the 3rd drive. Boot off the OS disc into the repair console. Try using the fixboot and fixmbr commands.
When you installed windows on the array, was this 3rd drive still installed? If it was, and in the master position, windows will still use that drive in the boot sequence.

Remove the 3rd drive. Boot off the OS disc into the repair console. Try using the fixboot and fixmbr commands.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.