P5B-Plus or P5B-E?

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Is there even a difference besides the all-solid capacitors, black PCB, and lower price? Those are all good things, but is there any downside to this cheaper motherboard?

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
i must say few things about this as i own a asus p5b deluxe and had asus p5b-e for a week or so. now remember that p5b deluxe also have crossfire capabilities. when i ran 3dmark06 on p5b-e, and the result i got was a little lesser than the results i got from p5b deluxe.p5b deluxe have metal heat spreader or whatever we call them. p5b deluxe has a hell of accessories like soundmax mic which is good but the sound will decrease because it will filter all the unwanted sounds, & etc. one thing before buying any of these mobos, the sound card is a little crappy. i mean there are some bugs in it. the jack recognisor is not accurate, that is if i put in a mic, it will think u have put in a line in device. apart from raid and sound card this board is really good. i have read it on other forums about htese problems but i myself have experienced the sound one only, but i havented experienced the raid one because i dont have a raid configuration. one more thing, there is a specific driver for audio that i have downloaded with which i can record with stereo mix. if u dont have that drivers, then u r unable to record sound. think about it and then make a move. thanks.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Thanks for the reply, but I wouldn't consider the P5B-Deluxe because of it's price, and I would never really take advantage of it's deluxe feature set. Also, I have an X-Fi soundcard, so the sound issues aren't a problem.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
as i have told u the differences that i have noticed on my previous message, there maybe more, but i havent yet discovered it. so it is totally up to u, which one u want to get. if u will not use many features that p5b deluxe has to offer, then i would say to go with p5b simple. there will not be much difference between p5b-e and the simple version, but u will save money and can use that money on another hardware.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
sorry mon, im really sorry. i dont know how i overlooked that plus. i thought it was deluxe. sorry. well i have no experience about the plus model. i had the p5b-e for few weeks. i actually had a lan card problem with p5b-e, so i had it exchanged with p5b deluxe.

oldgreyhead

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I'm been using a P5B-E for 2 weeks. I got 4 x 1gb corsair xms2 4-4-4-12
ram with it.

The only fault is it crashes when I play fear. This stopped when I removed 2 sticks and just ran 2 x 1gb.

Asus say set correct ram voltage. This helped reduce crashes but not completely.

Now I run with just 2 x 1gb. It works fine now.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
maybe there is a fault in your ram. try running other two only now. and also run memtest with first 2gb then the other 2gb and then with 4gb for atleast 6hrs. then u will know if your ram is fine or not.

oldgreyhead

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Thanks for those suggestions. I''ve tried swapping the pairs around but not the memory test.

I'l give that a try when time allows.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Go to the Asus website and read the specs.

I also have this page bookmarked:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=710828

Go almost halfway down the page or do a page search of 'P5B vanilla-type.'

I have found this page very useful for researching core2duo motherboards although I'm now looking at the P35 chipset motherboards. But, that page should give you the info you want regarding a comparison.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
If anyone is interested, I went ahead and bought the P5B-Plus. Wow, this thing overclocks incredibly easy, easier then the P5B-E I can't be sure. But I've had zero issues with the motherboard so far, and it's really nice playing SupCom with 30+fps at all times :D... I plan to do some more overclocking once I get a more serious cooler, the stock HSF isn't cutting it. I was thinking of the Big Typhoon VX.