Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Deleting folder without deleting its' contents

Last response: in Windows XP
May 1, 2009 1:21:00 PM

I would like to delete a folder without deleting its contents. Copy, Paste and then deleting the folder with its' contents etc can work. But is there any way of getting it as a windows context menu? ie right-clicking and selecting "delete folder but not contents"

Thanks & Regards
florodesignertiles@yahoo.co.in
May 2, 2009 1:23:20 PM

Your question makes no sense. The contents of a folder will be gone if the folder is deleted. Has been like that since the 1st PC.
May 3, 2009 12:57:55 AM

The folder's contents have to go somewhere (i.e. another folder.) If the option you wanted, "delete folder but not contents", actually existed, where would you expect the contents to be afterwards?
Related resources
May 3, 2009 10:20:14 AM

n3f0ur said:
Your question makes no sense. The contents of a folder will be gone if the folder is deleted. Has been like that since the 1st PC.

:lol: 
Anonymous
August 21, 2009 6:07:46 PM

I Understand your question. Im trying to figure out this also. My iTunes cant find my songs because I put them into a folder. I wanted to remove the contents of the folder back to their original place or find a way to remove them from the folder or delete the FOLDER itself so that the contents will be back in theri origional place.
August 21, 2009 6:36:51 PM

OK, but you can't delete the folder, because that will also delete the songs. You first have to move the songs from that folder to wherever they originally were for iTunes. On my PC, it's My Documents/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music where I can see all my album folders.
September 1, 2009 6:41:36 AM

n3f0ur said:

here is a context for the perfectly rational need for this function.my music files come up as single file icons and or folders,normal,but now i find that i would prefer to have each track/file come up as an individual item.not in cd automatically generated folders..i as for where would they go? i would expect the files to stay in the My Music folder,without any subfolders .thats is what finds me on this google hunt as i ponder how?any help welcome ,thomas
September 1, 2009 6:51:41 AM

yes,right click an option "remove selected folders,keep contents" yes it has been like that since the first computer. how stupid.its a logical command,remove groupings
September 1, 2009 8:14:46 AM

I might be missing something, but can't you just use Search.

Go to the Main Folder > click on Search > type in *.* > hit Enter > then sort the results by Type (the folders will be at the top and the files will be below them) > then just copy and paste what you want
September 1, 2009 8:50:53 AM

Copy and paste or drag and drop. Whew. :lol: 
September 2, 2009 5:55:16 AM

badge said:
Copy and paste or drag and drop. Whew. :lol: 

copy what to what ?
be patient, learner
September 2, 2009 5:57:55 AM

i am talking about a few hundred folders.
September 2, 2009 6:04:38 AM

thomasvladimir said:
copy what to what ?
be patient, learner

thomas read the OP's post and his original question. It makes no sense like n3four noted. I echo what toshi91 replied to you're earlier question about you're music files:

Quote:
"I might be missing something...just copy and paste what you want"

September 2, 2009 6:06:53 AM

florodesignertiles said:
I would like to delete a folder without deleting its contents. Copy, Paste and then deleting the folder with its' contents etc can work. But is there any way of getting it as a windows context menu? ie right-clicking and selecting "delete folder but not contents"

Thanks & Regards
florodesignertiles@yahoo.co.in

:sol: 
September 2, 2009 6:17:02 AM

badge said:
thomas read the OP's post and his original question. It makes no sense like n3four noted. I echo what toshi91 replied to you're earlier question about you're music files:

Quote:
"I might be missing something...just copy and paste what you want"

what i want is that when i open" my music" i see only files.not folders,that the files,now in folders shed the folders.
September 2, 2009 6:23:21 AM

Quote:
what i want is that when i open" my music" i see only files

So files have been entered the My Music folder. But not placed in a folder originating from the My Music toolbar (new folder).

Quote:
.not folders

Yeah, you have to make a folder from the My Music toolbar to put those random files into.

Quote:
,that the files

Yeah, the random file have to be put into folders from the My Music task bar, remember.

Quote:
now in folders shed the folders.

If the files are in folders, someone put them there. To 'shed' the folder simply drag the music files out. Then delete the folder. Solved.
September 2, 2009 2:36:25 PM

n3f0ur said:

500 times?
September 2, 2009 2:41:48 PM

someone did not put them in folders,as they are cds they are automatically in cd folders as opposed to my mp3 files.
September 2, 2009 6:52:35 PM

Assuming that all your music files are within this folder "My Documents/My Music" and that they are all MP3 files, then:

1: Go to My Documents/My Music
2: Click on Search at the top
3: In the Search Box, type in: *.mp3
4: Hit enter or click on Search
5: After it's done searching, hit: Ctrl-A (select all)
6: Copy everything and paste it in the Main folder
7: It might ask you if you want to replace some of the files, just click on Yes to All.
September 2, 2009 6:59:06 PM

Select ALL!!!!!!!!!! Whew. ;) 
September 7, 2009 2:47:37 AM

tosh9i said:
Assuming that all your music files are within this folder "My Documents/My Music" and that they are all MP3 files, then:

3: In the Search Box, type in: *.mp3
5: After it's done searching, hit: Ctrl-A (select all)
6: Copy everything and paste it in the Main folder
7: It might ask you if you want to replace some of the files, just click on Yes to All.

they are not all mp3s
September 7, 2009 8:50:01 PM

thomasvladimir said:
they are not all mp3s

Then try this:

3: In the Search Box, type in: *.*
5: After it's done searching, click on View in the Menu Bar, and select Details
6: Then sort everything by Type, this will put the folders at the top and the files below it.
7: Highlight and Copy whichever files you want, and paste it in the Main folder
8: It might ask you if you want to replace some of the files, just click on Yes to All.
September 8, 2009 5:48:49 PM

First, let me say i understand the issue; something that seems lost on many replies.

For clarification, the OP wishes to simply remove ALL files that have been nested in directories and subdirectories of the 'music' directory by the music application to the root of the 'music' directory. For whatever reason, it is easier for the OP this way. It is not for me to judge.

next, the last reply is correct. I just thought i'd type up a n000b hand-held version of the simplest, non-CLI way i can think of completing the task. it involves opening one or two explorer windows, performing an advanced search, and drag/dropping the results to the final destination. Note, this is from XP Pro, but should be very similar in most flavors of windows.

1. open the music folder (the directory where you ultimately want all of your loose files to reside--My Documents/My Music most likely)

2. click the Start button (lower left of the screen) then Search -> for Files & Folders

3. in the left pane, choose the little green arrow pointing to 'all files and folders'

4. Use the 'look in' pulldown menu to select 'browse'; choose the 'My Music' directory inside 'My Documents'

5. leave the 'all or part of the file name' field blank
[post edited for clarity]

6. click search

7. that will show ALL files in the directory, including the directories. click the grey header named 'type' to sort the results.

8. with the results sorted, you can easily select all the music files by click-dragging a box around them without selecting the unwanted directories as well.

9. with the music files selected, click and drag them to the folder/directory you opened in step 1.

10. with all the files now in the root of the 'My Music' directory, click the 'type' column of the 'My Music' directory to easily select the empty folders.

11. drag them to the bin
September 8, 2009 7:06:03 PM

Is that a "apostrophe period apostrophe" ('.') in step 5? I think you meant asterisk period asterisk (*.*)

And thomasvladimir, be sure to let us know if it works.
September 8, 2009 11:02:10 PM

actually in step 5 i was trying to call out just a single dot.

but, in practice i discovered explorer will not search for the dot. but, no it was not inteded to be a *.* wildcard search, though that would work fine, leaving the field completely blank will yield the desired results.

sorry for the confusion. i will edit the post for clarity.
September 21, 2009 6:51:34 PM

I also have the same issue, and it's because itunes was set to structure the files that way, if I wanted to have windoze index all me files I'll be able to search them, but until then it'll take a week for me to be able to see them in a format that I can select all copy/paste the files to a new directory, problem is the 3 computers I've used to do that have all frozen for hours when I finally manage to right click on the files... computer freezes, becomes non responsive for hours one system is an AMD Athlon II X245 2.9G w/ 4GB RAM the other is an Athlon 64 w/ 3GB RAM, tried both systems doing the same ultimate task, in ubuntu 9.04, windoze xp, windoze 7 free trial from microsoft technet... we're talking 600 GB of data, just too much for the os to handle, lots of room for the pagefile, RAM fill is 50 - 60%....

Therefore, could someone be so kind as to lead one of us in the right direction here? I want to be able to copy all of the files (*.mp3), nothing else, over to a separate folder, call it Mp3 for now, and then set itunes loose on it again. Provided there are no errors in transfer, once itunes is complete, I want to delete all of that old structure.

Thank you for your time!
September 22, 2009 7:33:32 AM

If you can't right click on them, then all you have to do is hit Ctrl-Insert. That's the hotkey for copy.
May 18, 2010 5:44:43 PM

ok, i have the similar question.

Folder A/Folder B/Folder C/file A,B,C,D...
Folder A/Folder B/file a,b,c,d...
Folder A/Folder D/file 1,2,3,4...
Folder A/Folder E/Folder F/Folder G/Folder K/file 00,01,02,03,04...

How do you merge all files(ABCD's, abcd's, 1234's, 00....) in to Folder A and get rid of Folder B,D,E,F,F...?

Now, these files have different extension so searching is impossible.
I can do them manually, but it'll take forever. Let's say 1000 folders.
Anonymous
July 4, 2010 8:10:42 AM

"your question makes no sense...." blah blah blah. god i hate people like you. have you always been an unhelpful d*ckhead? somebody asks a perfectly viable question and theres always somebody that behaves like a tw*t. you must be stupid then as i and most other people reading that fully understood it. just because you were bullied at school and had/ have no (real) friends, doesnt give you cause to be a w*nker with people. makes my blood boil. i found this question because i typed in the exact same thing on google. hello to everyone else!
July 4, 2010 8:20:09 PM

Quote:
"your question makes no sense...." blah blah blah. god i hate people like you. have you always been an unhelpful d*ckhead? somebody asks a perfectly viable question and theres always somebody that behaves like a tw*t. you must be stupid then as i and most other people reading that fully understood it. just because you were bullied at school and had/ have no (real) friends, doesnt give you cause to be a w*nker with people. makes my blood boil. i found this question because i typed in the exact same thing on google. hello to everyone else!

I don't know if I should condemn you for your stupidity or marvel at your ability to form words.

w*anker? :lol:  Wanker...wanker...wanker...wanker.
Anonymous
July 24, 2010 7:19:52 PM

the problem i am having with doing this is that for some reason some of the file names are unable to be moved/written in the new directory. Is there a program of some sort or anything else that may be able to perform this action?
Anonymous
January 18, 2011 5:09:06 PM

How about this one,surely it can be done? I have a 8gb usb with one folder in the root with 6gb of contents,now I want the 6gb contents in the root of the usb without the original folder........(yes a option of "delete folder but not contents" would be great) of course usually you would open the folder and copy all contents/or drag to the root then delete the original folder with contents leaving the root with just the files,but in this circumstance there wouldn't be enough memory,so I'd have to just have to wipe the usb and copy the files from the pc without the folder. Little inconvenience maybe.....but when copying between 4and 7gb were talking about an extra 30 mins of wasted time,which could simply be avoided with a delete folder but not contents option.
June 15, 2011 11:44:07 PM

easy way to do this is by:

1) click start, run, type cmd and press ctrl+shift+enter ( to open with admin rights)
2)type the word *move* then the full directory of where the your files are located then space then where you want them to go, ie *move c:\windows\temp c:\temp*

Hope that helps.

June 16, 2011 7:10:42 AM

hehehe... Funny question.. ;-0 . . .. . .
June 16, 2011 2:27:50 PM

jakesir said:
ok, i have the similar question.

Folder A/Folder B/Folder C/file A,B,C,D...
Folder A/Folder B/file a,b,c,d...
Folder A/Folder D/file 1,2,3,4...
Folder A/Folder E/Folder F/Folder G/Folder K/file 00,01,02,03,04...

How do you merge all files(ABCD's, abcd's, 1234's, 00....) in to Folder A and get rid of Folder B,D,E,F,F...?

Now, these files have different extension so searching is impossible.
I can do them manually, but it'll take forever. Let's say 1000 folders.

see this
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBcQ...

as for the rest of this topic, holy mother of god. I am impressed at the stupidity. If you don't understand how folders/computer works, maybe you should learn it, instead of calling people stupid...

oh and one more thing, STOP USING ITUNES
June 16, 2011 3:35:01 PM

@AntiZig

Please se my last post above and change the directory path to your own location
June 16, 2011 5:45:02 PM

broxibear said:
@AntiZig

Please se my last post above and change the directory path to your own location

sorry but I wasn't the one asking for help... read your own posts
March 12, 2012 2:13:11 AM

try to arrange the folders by song, if your using windows seven (or any other ones with this similar option)
in the upper right hand corner under the little search bar, try to click on the "arange by" and then click on "songs"
then you will see alll your music withough the folders, so then you can copy and paste in one shot :D 
i hope this helped, and if not, i apologize for that :/ 
March 27, 2012 12:06:39 AM

Well its not the easiest thing to do basically what you need to do is;
copy the files you want to get the songs out of to a new folder
Search the folder for the type of file you want to separate ie music. Grouping by file type may help with this
Select all the files using shift or ctrl+a
paste them into the folder you need the files in ie My Music
Delete the folder you made and all the folders are gone and you are left with just the music files (shift delete to permanently delete it)

I do this with movie files downloaded with Torrents to get rid of the folders and the crap that comes with them instead of individually moving the movies out of the file.

Regards
The Colonel
!