cpu overheating and pc shutting down

wagbees

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
I recently bought a new motherboard/ram/cpu to upgrade my computer. I installed everything and was getting ready to reinstall windows when my pc shut down randomly. I touched the cpu and it was rediculously hot as well as the heatsink/fan. I took out everything except the motherboard and reinstalled it just to make sure I didnt make a mistake, but on the second startup the cpu fan would not go on. everything else besides the cpu is working fine and is not hot. I dont know if this is a bios problem or a problem with the power supply. I am relatively new to all this so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

My specs are:

amd althlon x2 5600+ am2
2gig wintec ddr2800
biostar tforce 550 mobo
msi 7600gt
seagate 160gig sata hd
thermaltake 430w power supply

wagbees

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
thanks for your reply. it was a stock heatsink and it was firmly in place. i believe it is the windsor core. in the meantime i switched the heatsink with my old one and now it works better. i have yet to check the bios voltages but ill post them when i get to it.

wagbees

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
ya i think the heatsink fan could of been defective. the voltage is around 1.35ish, so it should be fine. thanks again

TRENDING THREADS