Browsers Won't Open in Vista

trickymickey

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I just put together my system two weeks ago, and I have work during the week so I'm still configuring all the software but I started having the following problem. When I start my computer everything works fine and I can open firefox no problem. After a little while (maybe 20 minutes) both FF and IE don't open after I double click them. When I look in the task manager there is a process for each browser I tried to open. I can end all of these processes except one instance of firefox. I think the only software I have changed since this started happening was my security software. I had a free trial of Norton Security Suite which I decided to replace with AVG Free Antivirus, ZoneAlarm free firewall, and AdAware free antispyware. I can't think of any other changes I made during this time. Also this program "RelevantKnowledge" started popping up right before I switched my software (I think this is some kind of spyware).

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this? I don't particularly want to uninstall security and then go running around on the internet to test and see if it fixed the problem if I can avoid it.

Thanks

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Yikes! I had that on my XP install for several months, and boy was it annoying. Not sure why it stopped on its own, but it did. So even if you can't fix it here, there might be hope.
Do you know if you got rid of the spyware with the new security software?