CoH EU - were we ever like that?

Lately I've spent some time on the British server Defiant. The one word
that comes to mind is "lol", and not in a good way.

One of the most remarkable facts is that I can't say I have seen one
tanker (except my own) who was not a fire tanker. Certainly all the
tankers I have teamed with have been fire. (Then again I am still fairly
low level.) In all fairness I took one fire tanker to 14 myself before I
realized the imbalance and made an Invulnerable.

The cluelessness exceeds that of the American servers by a wide margin.
Yesterday I was in a pickup team with two fire tankers, my inv. tanker and
a scrapper. We were doing a door mission belonging to the highest of them,
so mobs were red and purple to me, purple to the two others. This did not
look too good, I thought as we surveyed the hordes. "What are we waiting
for?" asked the scrapper, and ran into the middle of the pack.
Next, we get a defender and a controller. Yay, a bubble defender! Except
he does not bubble even one of us. Instead he decides he is now the tanker
of the team, attacking first with his wonderful lightning power, and
aggroing the entire room. Luckily the controller is good, and we survive
for quite a while, although my entire tray full of only catch-a-breath is
given to her piece by piece until empty. And then we all die horribly.

I wish this was an exception, but it is pretty much an ordinary day in the
life of Defiant. Unbalanced teams, people playing against their archetype,
team leaders not knowing what a defender is or that force fields exist.
Were we really that clueless last spring? I cannot remember it. Oh yeah,
and I thought Americans had bad manners. Well, now I'm one illusion poorer.

My best theory is that all the clueful Europeans already play on the US
servers. The ones who play on CoH EU are the ones who hadn't heard of CoH
until they happened upon it in the shop.

good sign." -G

Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote in

[snip]

> I wish this was an exception, but it is pretty much an ordinary day in
> the life of Defiant. Unbalanced teams, people playing against their
> archetype, team leaders not knowing what a defender is or that force
> fields exist. Were we really that clueless last spring? I cannot
> remember it. Oh yeah, and I thought Americans had bad manners. Well,
> now I'm one illusion poorer.

[snip]

Funny, that made me think of something (apologies in advance for the
stereotypes, here): When playing Ultima Online, I used to play almost
exclusively on non-us servers (Drachenfels being my favourite) for the
simple reason that most of the Americans on the US servers were rude,
childish and just plain moronic. The Germans, on the other hand, tended to
be friendly, helpful and most tolerant of a guy who's only German includes
"guten tag" and "jawohl"

I've notice in CoH, though, that 95% of the people I've met up with have
actually been decent human beings :) I've teamed with Americans from the
ages of 12 to 50 and almost all of them have not only been fun to play
with, but had some pretty decent conversations with 'em.

(This is not to say, however, that there aren't just as many Canadian butt-
wipes out there, as well :)

--
Marc Bissonnette
CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com

Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote:
> One of the most remarkable facts is that I can't say I have seen one
> tanker (except my own) who was not a fire tanker. Certainly all the
> tankers I have teamed with have been fire. (Then again I am still
> fairly low level.) In all fairness I took one fire tanker to 14 myself
> before I realized the imbalance and made an Invulnerable.

I really don't know what the "imbalance" issue is, except that
Invulnerable seems to be the brainless choice of players who were unable
to play Doom or Half-Life except in "God" mode. I suppose being sooo un-
damageable and never having to kick on a protection toggle is a plus to
some, but... sheesh. I don't think my fire tank is "unbalanced" because I
have to pay a little more attention and play with a little more skill. I
chose it as a newbie, but wouldn't change it now even if I could. I've
played some with the other builds. Yeah; okay.

As for why it's so popular, it's got a cool animation set and strikes a
better balance for most players than Invuln. (Stone is cool, too, but I
tried it and didn't like the animations much.)

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

"Magnus Itland" <itlandm@online.no> wrote in message
| Lately I've spent some time on the British server Defiant. The one
| word that comes to mind is "lol", and not in a good way.
|
| One of the most remarkable facts is that I can't say I have seen one
| tanker (except my own) who was not a fire tanker. Certainly all the
| tankers I have teamed with have been fire. (Then again I am still
| fairly low level.) In all fairness I took one fire tanker to 14
| myself before I realized the imbalance and made an Invulnerable.
|
| The cluelessness exceeds that of the American servers by a wide
| margin. Yesterday I was in a pickup team with two fire tankers, my
| inv. tanker and a scrapper. We were doing a door mission belonging to
| the highest of them, so mobs were red and purple to me, purple to the
| two others. This did not look too good, I thought as we surveyed the
| hordes. "What are we waiting for?" asked the scrapper, and ran into
| the middle of the pack.
| Next, we get a defender and a controller. Yay, a bubble defender!
| Except he does not bubble even one of us. Instead he decides he is
| now the tanker of the team, attacking first with his wonderful
| lightning power, and aggroing the entire room. Luckily the
| controller is good, and we survive for quite a while, although my
| entire tray full of only catch-a-breath is given to her piece by
| piece until empty. And then we all die horribly.
|
| I wish this was an exception, but it is pretty much an ordinary day
| in the life of Defiant. Unbalanced teams, people playing against
| their archetype, team leaders not knowing what a defender is or that
| force fields exist. Were we really that clueless last spring? I
| cannot remember it. Oh yeah, and I thought Americans had bad manners.
| Well, now I'm one illusion poorer.
|
| My best theory is that all the clueful Europeans already play on the
| US servers. The ones who play on CoH EU are the ones who hadn't heard
| of CoH until they happened upon it in the shop.
|
| --
| "When someone starts bragging about how much debt they have, it's not
| a good sign." -G

Good manners and teamwork are often learned through the School of Hard
Knocks if not the Academy of Good Graces.

Magnus Itland wrote:

> My best theory is that all the clueful Europeans already play on the US
> servers. The ones who play on CoH EU are the ones who hadn't heard of CoH
> until they happened upon it in the shop.

Well, I like to think so myself ;-)

I've not been on the UK servers since Beta, but what you described what
pretty much what I encountered there. I put it down to a lack of play time
for most people at that point.

--
| Victory Server: Global chat handle: @JohnP |
| Brother Grim - Level 37 Scrapper (Broadsword/Regeneration) |

>I've not been on the UK servers since Beta, but what you described
what
>pretty much what I encountered there. I put it down to a lack of play
time
>for most people at that point.

I think that's it. The numbers of players on Defiant has been slowly
climbing, so they're must be a lot of new players coming into the
game. I also know a few people who hit 50, restarted and were taken
back the clueless of people in low level area like The Hallows.

At level 33 the OP typical night isn't anything like mine. Apart from
one person I know people play the role their char is meant to. Level 33
is pretty much the tail end of where players who got it at release are
at. Give it a few months and they would all reached max level and
started alts. Then you probably find a better balance of low level
chars that know what they are doing.

And I wouldn't say fire tankers are the norm. I've played with all
types. If anything its high level controllers and defenders that
aren't emps that are rare. (But since I'm an emp I can't complain
to much about that!!)

John Parkinson <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote in

> The upcoming changes have left me to trying to push to lvl 39 at the
> least before I4 goes live and then I'll be able to perma-MoG if that
> turns out to be the way I have to go for team survival.

I have MoG, but I mainly use it as last resort before I phase out of fight
to rest, or when coming up on 2 or more sappers.

It is still fun to hit MoG around a level 20 defender......

OMG....(MoG)....Run!

HEAL-HEAL-HEAL How can I miss the heals on <insert MoG scrapper's name>

bombaymix schrieb:

> Level 33 is pretty much the tail end of where players who got it at
> release are at.

Not quite. I've been playing since the Euro beta started and my main is
at 15 now after a LOT of hard honest work. 2 blips
until 16 and I can FINALLY super jump. Made a few bad decisions in the
past (medicine pool with 2 powers :() and am in the perma debt club.
(blaster).

I also play a couple of alts, my highest one is 12 at the mo'.

> And I wouldn't say fire tankers are the norm. I've played with all
> types.

So do I. My tanker is an invul/ice one.

~T.

How do you log on to the British server?

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:59:59 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>They design scrappers to be the AT for soloists.
>They introduce criticals and Statesman declares Scrappers to be "the
>boss killers".
>Then they get all bent out of shape when people play scrappers solo and
>kill the big bosses. WTF?

Double response. Sorry, early and too quick on the post button...

Anyway, they aren't bent out of shape because people are soloing the
"big bosses". They're bent out of shape because people are soloing
ARCHVILLAINS and MONSTERS. "Boss killer" referred to BOSSES.
Archvillains and monsters aren't "big bosses", they're archvillains
and monsters.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

You can do that by installing the European CoH client.

~T.

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 04:55:49 GMT, Clem Clambake <clemclambake@yahoo.coma>
wrote:

> How do you log on to the British server?

There is a separate version of the game developed for European players.
(You can choose between 3 different languages to play in, that's really
the only difference.) You have to buy the game over again and pay
subscription fees for that game, so most people don't have both unless
they live in extremely rich countries like Norway. ^_^

good sign." -G

Xocyll wrote:

> This i'm going to have trouble believing, simply because there were so
> many times my regen scrapper just barely survived with issue _2_ regen
> levels.

I copied my 32 DM/Regen to Test to try out the new rules -- he can still solo
on Invincible with no real danger. I had nine +2 to +3 Freaks on me at one
point, no problem, which is just insane -- that many +level mobs should
flatten anyone.

And yes I'm aware that Tankers can stand up to ten times that many. That's
no justification.

--
Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:26:37 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>Yeah, and while there are some AVs that an issue 2 regen scrapper could
>solo, with loads of insps and a fully slotted tough, there were more AVs
>he couldn't ever hope to kill

Not a single even level AV I can think of that can hope to take me
down. This is without loads of insps, but is with fully slotted tough
and weave. T&W weren't the big factors, though. It was taking Dull
Pain in my respec.

Kill them? Well, I'm MA. My damage tends to fall short of most AVs'
regen.

--

Xocyll wrote:

> Funny how only regen is being adjusted (again) because of AV soloing.

AV soloing is only part of the issue.

As for "only regen" being adjusted...there aren't enough hours in the day for
the devs to restore balance to the game all at once. It's going to have to be
a one-step-at-a-time effort. Other unbalanced powers will be nerfed in due time.

--
Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:29:43 -0400, Dennis Francis Heffernan
<hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:
> Xocyll wrote:

> As for "only regen" being adjusted...there aren't enough hours in the
> day for the devs to restore balance to the game all at once. It's going
> to have to be a one-step-at-a-time effort. Other unbalanced powers will
> be nerfed in due time.

Or perhaps underpowered sets could get a little loving instead. I believe
Dark auras are stackable these days. It's surely a step toward making
people actually use it, although stamina requirements need to get down and
something must be done to the whining sound if they expect anyone to play
it for 50 levels.

good sign." -G

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:26:37 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Yeah, and while there are some AVs that an issue 2 regen scrapper could
>>solo, with loads of insps and a fully slotted tough, there were more AVs
>>he couldn't ever hope to kill
>
>Not a single even level AV I can think of that can hope to take me
>down. This is without loads of insps, but is with fully slotted tough
>and weave. T&W weren't the big factors, though. It was taking Dull
>Pain in my respec.

Nosferatu, Infernal, Shadowhunter, Battle Maiden, Psychic Clockwork King
with his psychic wail, and more.

All of these can and have taken down equal and _higher_ level regen
heroes in _1_ shot, with dull pain and fully slotted tough/resiliance.

>Kill them? Well, I'm MA. My damage tends to fall short of most AVs'
>regen.

Bing. And there you have one of the major problems with "adjusting"
sets; certain somewhat stronger secondaries make up for weak primaries.
MA/REG is a perfect example of this - since MA does pretty shitty damage
in the end game, but regen allows you to stay long enough to complete
the fight.

My main was MA/reg - the anti brawler (I forget his real name) was a
complete stalemate. He couldn't damage me fast enough to overcome my
regen rate, but I couldn't even _scratch_ him due to his damage
reduction and his regen rate.

I soloed every AV I could, because it was the Heroic thing to do, but
most of them were NOT soloable by MA/regen.

I soloed Giant Monsters too, because they were there - not because they
gave great exp (the time it took to kill one smashing vulnerable type
was greater than the time it would take to earn the equivalent amount of
exp street hunting on PI.)

Issue 3 hit and Giant Monsters became unsoloable.
Because their hp got boosted from 16k to 49k so they hp regen went
through the roof.
Yeah they still couldn't kill me as long as it was one-on-one, but I
went from a 10+ minute fight to kill one, to not being able to hurt them
at all - they regened at an insane rate.

And that's the simple solution for AVs - a regen rate that CANNOT be
overcome by one person - bingo unsolable AVS.

Xocyll

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:20:09 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> looked up from reading the entrails
>of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>
>>On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:26:37 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Yeah, and while there are some AVs that an issue 2 regen scrapper could
>>>solo, with loads of insps and a fully slotted tough, there were more AVs
>>>he couldn't ever hope to kill
>>
>>Not a single even level AV I can think of that can hope to take me
>>down. This is without loads of insps, but is with fully slotted tough
>>and weave. T&W weren't the big factors, though. It was taking Dull
>>Pain in my respec.
>
>Nosferatu, Infernal, Shadowhunter, Battle Maiden, Psychic Clockwork King
>with his psychic wail, and more.
>
>All of these can and have taken down equal and _higher_ level regen
>heroes in _1_ shot, with dull pain and fully slotted tough/resiliance.

Funny, I could stand toe to toe with Infernal at even level without
1-shot kills. Just last night. What was killing me was the horde of
demons that poured through the portal that we were careless enough to
ignore. Generally, me dropping was a sign that the others would drop
FAST afterwards. If not for the demons, I could have stood in his face
all day and never died.

PKK and Nossie came along for me before I respec'd in DP, and both of
those may have 1-shotted me, but it was only by a hundred or so
health. With DP up, I could have easily survived the big shots.

>>Kill them? Well, I'm MA. My damage tends to fall short of most AVs'
>>regen.
>
>Bing. And there you have one of the major problems with "adjusting"
>sets; certain somewhat stronger secondaries make up for weak primaries.
>MA/REG is a perfect example of this - since MA does pretty shitty damage
>in the end game, but regen allows you to stay long enough to complete
>the fight.

This point would be even remotely valid if all or even most scrapper
primaries were as weak on damage output. Having SOME weaker primaries
doesn't balance the secondary.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:20:09 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> looked up from reading the entrails
>>of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>>>Not a single even level AV I can think of that can hope to take me
>>>down. This is without loads of insps, but is with fully slotted tough
>>>and weave. T&W weren't the big factors, though. It was taking Dull
>>>Pain in my respec.
>>
>>Nosferatu, Infernal, Shadowhunter, Battle Maiden, Psychic Clockwork King
>>with his psychic wail, and more.
>>
>>All of these can and have taken down equal and _higher_ level regen
>>heroes in _1_ shot, with dull pain and fully slotted tough/resiliance.
>
>Funny, I could stand toe to toe with Infernal at even level without
>1-shot kills. Just last night. What was killing me was the horde of
>demons that poured through the portal that we were careless enough to
>ignore. Generally, me dropping was a sign that the others would drop
>FAST afterwards. If not for the demons, I could have stood in his face
>all day and never died.

We? That rather says you weren't soloing him doesn't it?
No heals? No buffs? No debuffs on Infernal?

I actually managed to take out the alter first, quickly attacking it
from the far side. Then I cleared the spawns, then I went after
Infernal, who hit me once and killed me - with dull pain up, with fully
slotted tough/resiliance.

>PKK and Nossie came along for me before I respec'd in DP, and both of
>those may have 1-shotted me, but it was only by a hundred or so
>health. With DP up, I could have easily survived the big shots.

The problem with Nosferatu is that he also drains life from you to heal
himself - he's just plain not soloable.
He might not kill you in one shot, but he can hammer you with several
shots and kill you before you can heal up - before Issue 1/2 level regen
could heal up, much less issue 3.

>>>Kill them? Well, I'm MA. My damage tends to fall short of most AVs'
>>>regen.
>>
>>Bing. And there you have one of the major problems with "adjusting"
>>sets; certain somewhat stronger secondaries make up for weak primaries.
>>MA/REG is a perfect example of this - since MA does pretty shitty damage
>>in the end game, but regen allows you to stay long enough to complete
>>the fight.
>
>This point would be even remotely valid if all or even most scrapper
>primaries were as weak on damage output. Having SOME weaker primaries
>doesn't balance the secondary.

It's still valid.
Because it makes it POSSIBLE to use some of the weaker sets and still be
functional as a soloist.

Now of course the big question is, why is there such an imbalance in the
power of the various primaries?

Xocyll

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 10:25:33 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>>Funny, I could stand toe to toe with Infernal at even level without
>>1-shot kills. Just last night. What was killing me was the horde of
>>demons that poured through the portal that we were careless enough to
>>ignore. Generally, me dropping was a sign that the others would drop
>>FAST afterwards. If not for the demons, I could have stood in his face
>>all day and never died.
>
>We? That rather says you weren't soloing him doesn't it?
>No heals? No buffs? No debuffs on Infernal?

After the first attempt at him and I realized I wasn't going to get
anywhere with him, no, I wasn't soloing. But, when I first ran into
him, I took a crack at him solo. It wasn't until the number of demons
coming out of the portal began to overwhelm that I started running
into risk. ONe on one, there was no real risk of my dying.

>I actually managed to take out the alter first, quickly attacking it
>from the far side. Then I cleared the spawns, then I went after
>Infernal, who hit me once and killed me - with dull pain up, with fully
>slotted tough/resiliance.

No idea what you were doing wrong, then. Even level? Accolades?
*shrug* Yeah, his big hit hurt, but I survived. Pop reconstruction,
and there was no worry.

>>PKK and Nossie came along for me before I respec'd in DP, and both of
>>those may have 1-shotted me, but it was only by a hundred or so
>>health. With DP up, I could have easily survived the big shots.
>
>The problem with Nosferatu is that he also drains life from you to heal
>himself - he's just plain not soloable.
>He might not kill you in one shot, but he can hammer you with several
>shots and kill you before you can heal up - before Issue 1/2 level regen
>could heal up, much less issue 3.

MAYBE if you were careless. Reconstruction can turn close calls into
survival easily.

>>This point would be even remotely valid if all or even most scrapper
>>primaries were as weak on damage output. Having SOME weaker primaries
>>doesn't balance the secondary.
>
>It's still valid.
>Because it makes it POSSIBLE to use some of the weaker sets and still be
>functional as a soloist.

Perhaps the real issue isn't so much being able to solo-kill AVs as
being able to tank them better than most tanks can. Combined with far
superior damage output to most tanks (Only exception being fire, but
burn tankers are broken), yes, there is an issue of being overpowered.

>Now of course the big question is, why is there such an imbalance in the
>power of the various primaries?

Because people focus so much on raw damage that they ignore things
such as accuracy buff, status attacks, and so forth. MA may be weak on
raw damage, but it most certainly is not weak overall. There is still
a variance in power level of the primaries, but it's not all that
great. Some variation is good, lets people who want a bit more of a
challenge have it. Too much, however, is bad.

All in all, most fights with regen are trivial. Yes, even in the 40+
game. Aside from having to call in help for AVs, there's no challenge
even at my level 48. And the AVs aren't a matter of challenge, just a
matter of insufficient damage output.

--

In article <ln4d51popo7n99gh4dnh576blp4r3nb7o8@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
> Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> looked up from reading the entrails
> of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>>PKK and Nossie came along for me before I respec'd in DP, and both of
>>those may have 1-shotted me, but it was only by a hundred or so
>>health. With DP up, I could have easily survived the big shots.
>
> The problem with Nosferatu is that he also drains life from you to heal
> himself - he's just plain not soloable.
> He might not kill you in one shot, but he can hammer you with several
> shots and kill you before you can heal up - before Issue 1/2 level regen
> could heal up, much less issue 3.

Nosferatu's ability to self-heal makes bringing Regen to that fight
pretty much like buffing the AV. The more Regen scrappers you bring, the
more you buff him.

Nosferatu's mix of powers makes him pretty much unsolable by anyone. I'm
sure someone can do it, but it would be an epic struggle indeed.

--
--- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
"Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 10:25:33 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
>wrote:
>
>>>Funny, I could stand toe to toe with Infernal at even level without
>>>1-shot kills. Just last night. What was killing me was the horde of
>>>demons that poured through the portal that we were careless enough to
>>>ignore. Generally, me dropping was a sign that the others would drop
>>>FAST afterwards. If not for the demons, I could have stood in his face
>>>all day and never died.
>>
>>We? That rather says you weren't soloing him doesn't it?
>>No heals? No buffs? No debuffs on Infernal?
>
>After the first attempt at him and I realized I wasn't going to get
>anywhere with him, no, I wasn't soloing. But, when I first ran into
>him, I took a crack at him solo. It wasn't until the number of demons
>coming out of the portal began to overwhelm that I started running
>into risk. ONe on one, there was no real risk of my dying.
>
>>I actually managed to take out the alter first, quickly attacking it
>>from the far side. Then I cleared the spawns, then I went after
>>Infernal, who hit me once and killed me - with dull pain up, with fully
>>slotted tough/resiliance.
>
>No idea what you were doing wrong, then. Even level? Accolades?
>*shrug* Yeah, his big hit hurt, but I survived. Pop reconstruction,
>and there was no worry.

There's nothing wrong you can do when he kills you in one shot.

>>>PKK and Nossie came along for me before I respec'd in DP, and both of
>>>those may have 1-shotted me, but it was only by a hundred or so
>>>health. With DP up, I could have easily survived the big shots.
>>
>>The problem with Nosferatu is that he also drains life from you to heal
>>himself - he's just plain not soloable.
>>He might not kill you in one shot, but he can hammer you with several
>>shots and kill you before you can heal up - before Issue 1/2 level regen
>>could heal up, much less issue 3.
>
>MAYBE if you were careless. Reconstruction can turn close calls into
>survival easily.

When I first met Nosferatu it wasn't my mission. A SG-mate had called
for help, I and 2 other scrappers from the SG responded.
Turned out it wasn't the SG-mates missions, but someone else entirely.

Anyway we go, 3 scrappers, plus various others that were already there
and Nosferatu killed EVERYONE.

I don't know if he got turned down with issue3, but at that point he
could do pretty heavy damage pretty fast.

>>>This point would be even remotely valid if all or even most scrapper
>>>primaries were as weak on damage output. Having SOME weaker primaries
>>>doesn't balance the secondary.
>>
>>It's still valid.
>>Because it makes it POSSIBLE to use some of the weaker sets and still be
>>functional as a soloist.
>
>Perhaps the real issue isn't so much being able to solo-kill AVs as
>being able to tank them better than most tanks can. Combined with far
>superior damage output to most tanks (Only exception being fire, but
>burn tankers are broken), yes, there is an issue of being overpowered.

You seem to be forgetting energy melee, that does damage similar to MA
on the low end and VASTLY more with it's top 2 attacks.

>>Now of course the big question is, why is there such an imbalance in the
>>power of the various primaries?
>
>Because people focus so much on raw damage that they ignore things
>such as accuracy buff, status attacks, and so forth. MA may be weak on
>raw damage, but it most certainly is not weak overall. There is still
>a variance in power level of the primaries, but it's not all that
>great. Some variation is good, lets people who want a bit more of a
>challenge have it. Too much, however, is bad.

I beg to differ. I've played literally dozens of different MA builds up
to 20 and ran one up to 50.

MA is seriously underpowered.
Build up does not change that.
Infrequent disorients do not change that.

In the dream world the Devs live in, the lack of power is "balanced" by
the chance to disorient.
This might actually be true if disorient actually disabled mobs instead
of letting them flee at high speed and jump insane heights.

It's not an advantage to be fighting something and suddenly have it
INSTANTLY flee out of range of the next hit.
Now those "advantages" are even less realistic since TK no longer has a
100% mag 1 stun, but a much less frequent one of higher magnitude.

The only scrapper set that's possibly weaker than MA is claws, and it at
least has the advantage of more than one non-single target attack and a
ranged attack.

Crippling Axe Kick, a level 18 slower activating version of TK, with an
immobilize and a slow that only affects movement speed.
Dragonclaw - a level 26 AOE version of TK - the level 1 attack.
Eagle's Claw, a level 32 slow, flashy attack that does only marginally
more damage than crane kick, a level 8 attack.

The whole upper end of the MA set is a joke compared to the other sets.

For a set that's almost entirely single target, it's woefully
underpowered.

How is a single target set supposed to be balanced with the other multi
target sets unless it's single target attacks do more damage?

>All in all, most fights with regen are trivial. Yes, even in the 40+
>game. Aside from having to call in help for AVs, there's no challenge
>even at my level 48. And the AVs aren't a matter of challenge, just a
>matter of insufficient damage output.

Then you must not have met most of the ones I listed that would
insta-kill you.

That's a bit more than just "insufficient damage output.'

Xocyll

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:51:15 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>>No idea what you were doing wrong, then. Even level? Accolades?
>>*shrug* Yeah, his big hit hurt, but I survived. Pop reconstruction,
>>and there was no worry.
>
>There's nothing wrong you can do when he kills you in one shot.

Well, it's either that or you're lying. Answer the questions.

>>MAYBE if you were careless. Reconstruction can turn close calls into
>>survival easily.
>
>When I first met Nosferatu it wasn't my mission. A SG-mate had called
>for help, I and 2 other scrappers from the SG responded.
>Turned out it wasn't the SG-mates missions, but someone else entirely.
>
>Anyway we go, 3 scrappers, plus various others that were already there
>and Nosferatu killed EVERYONE.
>
>I don't know if he got turned down with issue3, but at that point he
>could do pretty heavy damage pretty fast.

I've heard stories of full wipes with nearly any AV. *shrug*

>>Perhaps the real issue isn't so much being able to solo-kill AVs as
>>being able to tank them better than most tanks can. Combined with far
>>superior damage output to most tanks (Only exception being fire, but
>>burn tankers are broken), yes, there is an issue of being overpowered.
>
>You seem to be forgetting energy melee, that does damage similar to MA
>on the low end and VASTLY more with it's top 2 attacks.

Odd that, if it's such a high damage tanker secondary, it's the rarest
used. End cost, perhaps? If the end cost is prohibitive, then its
sustained damage output is lower.

>>Because people focus so much on raw damage that they ignore things
>>such as accuracy buff, status attacks, and so forth. MA may be weak on
>>raw damage, but it most certainly is not weak overall. There is still
>>a variance in power level of the primaries, but it's not all that
>>great. Some variation is good, lets people who want a bit more of a
>>challenge have it. Too much, however, is bad.
>
>I beg to differ. I've played literally dozens of different MA builds up
>to 20 and ran one up to 50.

Up to 20 is nothing, frankly. Unless you've played other builds in the
high end, you cannot say that you know firsthand that MA is
underpowered compared to the rest in the high end.

>MA is seriously underpowered.
>Build up does not change that.
>Infrequent disorients do not change that.

Eagle's Claw disorients with nearly every attack that I've used it.

>In the dream world the Devs live in, the lack of power is "balanced" by
>the chance to disorient.
>This might actually be true if disorient actually disabled mobs instead
>of letting them flee at high speed and jump insane heights.
>
>It's not an advantage to be fighting something and suddenly have it
>INSTANTLY flee out of range of the next hit.

This RARELY happens in my experience.

>Now those "advantages" are even less realistic since TK no longer has a
>100% mag 1 stun, but a much less frequent one of higher magnitude.
>
>The only scrapper set that's possibly weaker than MA is claws, and it at
>least has the advantage of more than one non-single target attack and a
>ranged attack.

Claw is WEAK?! Per hit, sure. But it's fast as hell.

>Crippling Axe Kick, a level 18 slower activating version of TK, with an
>immobilize and a slow that only affects movement speed.

Rather nice for stopping runners.

>Dragonclaw - a level 26 AOE version of TK - the level 1 attack.

.....AOE. Exactly.

>Eagle's Claw, a level 32 slow, flashy attack that does only marginally
>more damage than crane kick, a level 8 attack.

Marginally?! It does at least 50% more damage. That's far from
"marginally". Plus you fail to mention the VERY frequent stun.

>The whole upper end of the MA set is a joke compared to the other sets.
>
>For a set that's almost entirely single target, it's woefully
>underpowered.
>
>How is a single target set supposed to be balanced with the other multi
>target sets unless it's single target attacks do more damage?

Hitting significantly more often. That 10% accuracy bonus that you
fail to mention. Makes a noticeable difference against higher level
mobs.

>>All in all, most fights with regen are trivial. Yes, even in the 40+
>>game. Aside from having to call in help for AVs, there's no challenge
>>even at my level 48. And the AVs aren't a matter of challenge, just a
>>matter of insufficient damage output.
>
>Then you must not have met most of the ones I listed that would
>insta-kill you.
>
>That's a bit more than just "insufficient damage output.'

No, I've met them. THey didn't insta-kill me. You're either
exaggerating, or flat-out lying about your encounter or build.
Something is wrong if you're getting insta-killed by them because I'm
not. You claim to have tough and res fully slotted. I have tough
slotted and res only with a couple slots. We both have DP. In theory,
I should be getting 1-shotted more often than you going by your
statements. Yet, oddly, I'm surviving AVs you claim can 1-shot you.
Curious.

Quit whining. Regen scrappers tank better than most tanks. That's just
plain wrong. The nerfs are needed and, in fact, don't have a very
large effect on normal gameplay as they stand now on Test. Missions
can still be -EASILY- soloed on Invincible. To me, that says
everything's just fine and dandy.

This all simply reminds me of the /dev blasters who said that /dev was
useless when Smoke Grenade was fixed. They said the same about
Caltrops before that. Yet, oddly enough, /dev is still considered the
most powerful blaster secondary. It's the classic knee-jerk whining
turning a molehill into Everest.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:51:15 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
>wrote:
>
>>>No idea what you were doing wrong, then. Even level? Accolades?
>>>*shrug* Yeah, his big hit hurt, but I survived. Pop reconstruction,
>>>and there was no worry.
>>
>>There's nothing wrong you can do when he kills you in one shot.
>
>Well, it's either that or you're lying. Answer the questions.

Usually it's me at the same level since that's how missions have always
worked (unless the mob type has a minimum level higher than that.)

In the case of Infernal, I think I was 46 at the time and he was 48 -
this was the first mission from the only contact I had open.

>>>MAYBE if you were careless. Reconstruction can turn close calls into
>>>survival easily.
>>
>>When I first met Nosferatu it wasn't my mission. A SG-mate had called
>>for help, I and 2 other scrappers from the SG responded.
>>Turned out it wasn't the SG-mates missions, but someone else entirely.
>>
>>Anyway we go, 3 scrappers, plus various others that were already there
>>and Nosferatu killed EVERYONE.
>>
>>I don't know if he got turned down with issue3, but at that point he
>>could do pretty heavy damage pretty fast.
>
>I've heard stories of full wipes with nearly any AV. *shrug*

Unless you have people substantially higher level and preferable no
melee types for him to leech, he's a major bitch. He moves fast and he
hits very, very hard.

The only way MY nosferatu mission got cleared was with the help of a
level 50 blaster who could not only zap him from range, he could tesla
cage him to stop him getting to melee range. I was essentially useless
in the fight since I could only hit him at a range at which he could
leech from me and he could leech a lot more than the damage i'd do.

I had this mission for a friggen week before I got someone to help.

>>>Perhaps the real issue isn't so much being able to solo-kill AVs as
>>>being able to tank them better than most tanks can. Combined with far
>>>superior damage output to most tanks (Only exception being fire, but
>>>burn tankers are broken), yes, there is an issue of being overpowered.
>>
>>You seem to be forgetting energy melee, that does damage similar to MA
>>on the low end and VASTLY more with it's top 2 attacks.
>
>Odd that, if it's such a high damage tanker secondary, it's the rarest
>used. End cost, perhaps? If the end cost is prohibitive, then its
>sustained damage output is lower.

It's not rarely used at all, it's very common since it's very powerful.

But, it only has one AOE, so the power levelers don't use it.
ANd it's not listed as the fasted leveling tank type (fire is) so
they'll always go fire.
On victory i'm seeing fire tankers _everywhere_, it's like a plague.

The inv/em tanker I made SHOT through levels faster than an ma/reg could
ever hope to. I only stopped playing it for two reasons 1. Because
it's a small toon, the one-size-fits-all auras are blinding when stacked
(since the core is white and the edge is multicolored - the toon has a
good solid 1.5-2 game feet of solid, blinding white aura around her with
stacked shields.) and 2. Not really wanting to play an invuln through
the every-thing-is-psi 40s.

>>>Because people focus so much on raw damage that they ignore things
>>>such as accuracy buff, status attacks, and so forth. MA may be weak on
>>>raw damage, but it most certainly is not weak overall. There is still
>>>a variance in power level of the primaries, but it's not all that
>>>great. Some variation is good, lets people who want a bit more of a
>>>challenge have it. Too much, however, is bad.
>>
>>I beg to differ. I've played literally dozens of different MA builds up
>>to 20 and ran one up to 50.
>
>Up to 20 is nothing, frankly. Unless you've played other builds in the
>high end, you cannot say that you know firsthand that MA is
>underpowered compared to the rest in the high end.
>
>>MA is seriously underpowered.
>>Build up does not change that.
>>Infrequent disorients do not change that.
>
>Eagle's Claw disorients with nearly every attack that I've used it.

Except of course it _doesn't_ work on bosses unless stacked, and they
changed TK's disorient to make that MUCH harder.

>>In the dream world the Devs live in, the lack of power is "balanced" by
>>the chance to disorient.
>>This might actually be true if disorient actually disabled mobs instead
>>of letting them flee at high speed and jump insane heights.
>>
>>It's not an advantage to be fighting something and suddenly have it
>>INSTANTLY flee out of range of the next hit.
>
>This RARELY happens in my experience.

How nice for you, that doesn't stop it happening.
This has been a problem since day 1 that the devs have refused to
address.
When a player is disoriented we can barely move at all, but mobs aren't
under any such restriction and often have runspeed and jump height they
don't normally have.

It is flat out not an advantage to give your enemy abilities it doesn't
normally have, especially if those abilities let it flee out of range.

The fact that mobs can stand inside each other, hit and walk through
each other is also a problem.
Hit mob x, disorienting him and he turns and runs through his pals, that
you can't pass through. This happened to me inv/em tank all the time.

>>Now those "advantages" are even less realistic since TK no longer has a
>>100% mag 1 stun, but a much less frequent one of higher magnitude.
>>
>>The only scrapper set that's possibly weaker than MA is claws, and it at
>>least has the advantage of more than one non-single target attack and a
>>ranged attack.
>
>Claw is WEAK?! Per hit, sure. But it's fast as hell.

That's why I said "possibly" because each hit is weak at base and thus
ends up weak when enhanced.

>>Crippling Axe Kick, a level 18 slower activating version of TK, with an
>>immobilize and a slow that only affects movement speed.
>
>Rather nice for stopping runners.

Yeah, great, as long as you use it on the guy who is planning to run.

>>Dragonclaw - a level 26 AOE version of TK - the level 1 attack.
>
>....AOE. Exactly.

You missed the point. WEAK AOE - it does no more damage than the level
1 thunderkick. For a level 26 power this is astoundingly weak.

>>Eagle's Claw, a level 32 slow, flashy attack that does only marginally
>>more damage than crane kick, a level 8 attack.
>
>Marginally?! It does at least 50% more damage. That's far from
>"marginally". Plus you fail to mention the VERY frequent stun.

Check your numbers. Do you have it slotted the same as crane kick?

I had them slotted the same, and the difference in raw damage was more
like 30%, with longer animation and recharge times, making it only
marginally higher in DPS.

>>The whole upper end of the MA set is a joke compared to the other sets.
>>
>>For a set that's almost entirely single target, it's woefully
>>underpowered.
>>
>>How is a single target set supposed to be balanced with the other multi
>>target sets unless it's single target attacks do more damage?
>
>Hitting significantly more often. That 10% accuracy bonus that you
>fail to mention. Makes a noticeable difference against higher level
>mobs.

The 10% bonus is a joke and it sure as hell made no noticeable
difference.
There was NO difference in the hits that thunderkick (with the bonus)
and Air Superiority (without the bonus) landed.

>>>All in all, most fights with regen are trivial. Yes, even in the 40+
>>>game. Aside from having to call in help for AVs, there's no challenge
>>>even at my level 48. And the AVs aren't a matter of challenge, just a
>>>matter of insufficient damage output.
>>
>>Then you must not have met most of the ones I listed that would
>>insta-kill you.
>>
>>That's a bit more than just "insufficient damage output.'
>
>No, I've met them. THey didn't insta-kill me. You're either
>exaggerating, or flat-out lying about your encounter or build.
>Something is wrong if you're getting insta-killed by them because I'm
>not. You claim to have tough and res fully slotted. I have tough
>slotted and res only with a couple slots. We both have DP. In theory,
>I should be getting 1-shotted more often than you going by your
>statements. Yet, oddly, I'm surviving AVs you claim can 1-shot you.
>Curious.

Most of them can 1 or two shot a regen, because there's no defense and
almost no resistance.

You also seem to be teaming your AVs judging by what you said before.

>Quit whining. Regen scrappers tank better than most tanks. That's just
>plain wrong. The nerfs are needed and, in fact, don't have a very
>large effect on normal gameplay as they stand now on Test. Missions
>can still be -EASILY- soloed on Invincible. To me, that says
>everything's just fine and dandy.

As I said before, the only reason regen ever _seemed_ to tank better
than a tanker, is cryptic's cheap shot mobs with powers INTENDED to
render certain tanker types powerless and the ones that hadn't been
finished that had untyped and therefor unresistable damage.

This doesn't make regen a better tank, it just means it's not affected
by a deliberate handicap aimed at invuln tanks.

This is ALWAYS going to be true, no matter how many times the Devs
adjust regen.

To put it another way, even Dazzler could beat up Lex Luthor while Lex
has Superman powerless with some kryptonite - this doesn't make Dazzler
more powerful than Superman.

>This all simply reminds me of the /dev blasters who said that /dev was
>useless when Smoke Grenade was fixed. They said the same about
>Caltrops before that. Yet, oddly enough, /dev is still considered the
>most powerful blaster secondary. It's the classic knee-jerk whining
>turning a molehill into Everest.

This has nothing to do with /dev and smoke grenade which was doing 10x
more than it had been designed to do.

Regen on the other hand, was working as they had designed it.

Cryptic aren't just doing what they did to invuln scrappers and capping
off the regen rate.
They're diddling the enhancements so you have to slot just as heavily
for substantially less effect.

And it's not like this is the first time - they already "adjusted" regen
and pronounced them balanced and fixed with issue 3.

But regen still throws a glaring spotlight on the 40+ mobs that are
tuned to screw the various other tanker and scrapper types.

Mobs that are _intended_ to force people to team - not AVs, not Giant
Monsters, normal critters designed to be unbeatable by various ATs.

Only Regen isn't affected by the cheap shot mob-types, by it's very
design of not having resists or defenses but healing after the fact.

The real question is: Why is the 40+ game just packed with cheap shot
mob types when the 1-39 game isn't?

Autohit attack powers and auras and Acc boosters to defeat the defence
oriented scrappers and tanks.
Unresistible damage types to defeat the resistance tanks.

If Cryptic doesn't intend to force people to team, why are these mob
types ubiquitous throughout the last 10 levels?

Xocyll

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:26:37 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
into the ether:

>Yeah, and while there are some AVs that an issue 2 regen scrapper could
>solo, with loads of insps and a fully slotted tough, there were more AVs
>he couldn't ever hope to kill, but which were soloable by tanks, /SR
>scrappers and PET controllers.
>Look at the sig of Darke Exile next time you read the forums, notice the
>list of AVs he soloed that couldn't EVER be soloed by a regen scrapper.
>
>Funny how only regen is being adjusted (again) because of AV soloing.

The irony of course, is that it isn't Integration/Instant Healing which
permits this (well, for some AVs it does, but mostly not)...

Perma-Moment of Glory is the real culprit. And that power isn't being
touched. Nor Perma-Elude, which allows SR Scrappers to do the same thing.