High cost of moving data how can you afford this?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
January 7, 2005 11:07:24 PM

This is actually an issue I have with AT&T but I expect the same thing
applies to Cingular.
I recently downloaded 2 pictures for wallpaper and a few ring tones to my
new cell phone out of curiosity, to see how they would sound and look on the
phone. At the AT&T ringtone/video download page there were lists of
ringtones that I could buy for around a dollar each and lists of pictures I
could buy for around $4 to $5. After downloading a few files I continued to
browse the AT&T website and wound up in the billing area. Under "My Minutes"
I saw entries for data download charges for around 950 KB for a cost of over
$25!
I called AT&T and was informed that even though the cost of a picture file
(jpg) was $4, I had to pay normal download rates of 3 cents per kilobyte.
That's $30 per megabyte! I asked the service rep to show me where on the
ringtone page it warned me that I would be charged such an outlandish rate.
Sure enough, she pointed me to a sentence way down on the bottom of 3 pages
of scrolling that said "normal data transfer rates apply". Although, on that
page, I couldn't find the actual cost of a "normal data transfer rate".
Personally, I feel that implying that an item costs $4 when in fact it ends
up costing 2 or 3 times that is legally and ethically questionable at best.
I certainly will never download anything again and will take steps to ensure
mMode is deactivated, lest I accidentally access mMode and end up with a
bill for $50 for "normal data transfer rates".
Since it could be argued that all the information needed to determine the
actual costs of moving data is available, however circuitous the route, I
guess that AT&T is not doing anything illegal (which explains why the
service rep pretty much said word to the effect of "tough you bought it, you
own it - no refunds"). My bigger question is how can anyone afford to do
this? I see lots of commercials about downloading information via internet
or taking and sending photos with the phone but it seems that this would be
incredibly expensive at $30 per MB. Is anyone else incensed at these costs
that boarder on usury? I just saw an article on the development of wireless
phone based TV. My God, how much would it cost to watch a 30 min TV show on
your phone? (Never mind why would anyone want to?)
By the way, I decided to calculate how much it would cost me to fill my hard
drive at 3 cents per kilobyte. Good news, it would only cost $3,330,000!

--
I have put junk in my email address to evade the spammers.
Please take the junk out before replying.

I agree that this is pretty sleazy. File a complaint with the BBB, and I'm
pretty sure you'll get the data transfer charges refunded.

In <10tujj5lj1or70f@corp.supernews.com> on Fri, 7 Jan 2005 20:07:24 -0700,
"Jim" <kraskajunk@dakotacom.net> wrote:

>This is actually an issue I have with AT&T but I expect the same thing
>applies to Cingular.
>I recently downloaded 2 pictures for wallpaper and a few ring tones to my
>new cell phone out of curiosity, to see how they would sound and look on the
>phone. At the AT&T ringtone/video download page there were lists of
>ringtones that I could buy for around a dollar each and lists of pictures I
>could buy for around $4 to $5. After downloading a few files I continued to
>browse the AT&T website and wound up in the billing area. Under "My Minutes"
>I saw entries for data download charges for around 950 KB for a cost of over
>$25!
>I called AT&T and was informed that even though the cost of a picture file
>(jpg) was $4, I had to pay normal download rates of 3 cents per kilobyte.
>That's $30 per megabyte! I asked the service rep to show me where on the
>ringtone page it warned me that I would be charged such an outlandish rate.
>Sure enough, she pointed me to a sentence way down on the bottom of 3 pages
>of scrolling that said "normal data transfer rates apply". Although, on that
>page, I couldn't find the actual cost of a "normal data transfer rate".
>Personally, I feel that implying that an item costs $4 when in fact it ends
>up costing 2 or 3 times that is legally and ethically questionable at best.
>I certainly will never download anything again and will take steps to ensure
>mMode is deactivated, lest I accidentally access mMode and end up with a
>bill for $50 for "normal data transfer rates".
>Since it could be argued that all the information needed to determine the
>actual costs of moving data is available, however circuitous the route, I
>guess that AT&T is not doing anything illegal (which explains why the
>service rep pretty much said word to the effect of "tough you bought it, you
>own it - no refunds"). My bigger question is how can anyone afford to do
>this? I see lots of commercials about downloading information via internet
>or taking and sending photos with the phone but it seems that this would be
>incredibly expensive at $30 per MB. Is anyone else incensed at these costs
>that boarder on usury? I just saw an article on the development of wireless
>phone based TV. My God, how much would it cost to watch a 30 min TV show on
>your phone? (Never mind why would anyone want to?)
>By the way, I decided to calculate how much it would cost me to fill my hard
>drive at 3 cents per kilobyte. Good news, it would only cost $3,330,000!

January 8, 2005 1:25:49 PM

> I agree that this is pretty sleazy. File a complaint with the BBB, and
I'm
> pretty sure you'll get the data transfer charges refunded.

Sleazy that he should actually pay for something he recieved. The very same
something the HE AGREED to pay for at that very same rate? I've always been
told "ignorance is no excuse" but I guess in your case that's wrong.

Here's an internet dollar. --->$1<--- Go buy a clue.

--
SS
Anonymous

In <34a9p7F3u5nrpU1@individual.net> on Sat, 8 Jan 2005 08:40:51 -0600,
"Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:

>> I agree that this is pretty sleazy. File a complaint with the BBB, and I'm
>> pretty sure you'll get the data transfer charges refunded.
>
>Sleazy that he should actually pay for something he recieved. The very same
>something the HE AGREED to pay for at that very same rate?

No, sleazy in the case of extra charges not being clearly disclosed in
advance.

>I've always been
>told "ignorance is no excuse" but I guess in your case that's wrong.

That doesn't apply to contract law. A contract is only binding when agreed to
by both parties, and courts have taken a dim view of fine print in this
context. Cingular has an obligation to warn subscribers about data charges
given that it has enabled data by default and made it all too easy to
unknowingly access data; otherwise the charges probably aren't enforceable.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice. Consult your
own attorney.

>Here's an internet dollar. --->$1<--- Go buy a clue.

I suggest you take your own advice, with regard to the law at least.

January 9, 2005 3:28:23 AM

"Jim" <kraskajunk@dakotacom.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> this? I see lots of commercials about downloading information via internet
> or taking and sending photos with the phone but it seems that this would
be
> incredibly expensive at $30 per MB. Is anyone else incensed at these costs
> that boarder on usury? I just saw an article on the development of
wireless
> phone based TV. My God, how much would it cost to watch a 30 min TV show
on
> your phone? (Never mind why would anyone want to?)
> By the way, I decided to calculate how much it would cost me to fill my
hard
> drive at 3 cents per kilobyte. Good news, it would only cost $3,330,000!
>

> --
> I have put junk in my email address to evade the spammers.
> Please take the junk out before replying.

its a buisnesss..

Hemera
490 St-Joseph Boulevard
Gatineau, Quebec
Canada
J8Y 3Y7

North America: 1-819-772-2746
International: 1-819-772-2746

perhaps you called a 800 number and somehow got transfered?
January 9, 2005 10:42:54 AM

Actually, if you re-read my initial post, I did not directly agree to pay
the data download charge. I assumed that the data download charge applied to
people who used their cell phone link as a network connection device and
were transferring files, documents, spreadsheets, etc. I assumed that since
I was purchasing a ringtone or photo to be used on my phone, from the
company that supplied my wireless service, that the advertised price would
be a one-time fixed charge.
You are correct, ignorance is no excuse, but my ignorance does not give you
license to make a rude and disdainful response. By the way, you can keep the
dollar.

--
"Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message

> "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>> I agree that this is pretty sleazy. File a complaint with the BBB, and
> I'm
>> pretty sure you'll get the data transfer charges refunded.
>>

> Sleazy that he should actually pay for something he recieved. The very
> same
> something the HE AGREED to pay for at that very same rate? I've always
> been
> told "ignorance is no excuse" but I guess in your case that's wrong.
>
> Here's an internet dollar. --->$1<--- Go buy a clue.
>
> --
> SS

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 1:20:20 PM

wrote:

>This is actually an issue I have with AT&T but I expect the same thing
>applies to Cingular.
>I recently downloaded 2 pictures for wallpaper and a few ring tones to my
>new cell phone out of curiosity, to see how they would sound and look on the
>phone. At the AT&T ringtone/video download page there were lists of
>ringtones that I could buy for around a dollar each and lists of pictures I
>could buy for around $4 to $5. After downloading a few files I continued to
>browse the AT&T website and wound up in the billing area. Under "My Minutes"
>I saw entries for data download charges for around 950 KB for a cost of over
>$25!

Sign up for the Media Works package and get your revenge. ;)

--
Friends don't let friends shop at Best Buy (except to buy loss leaders for resale on eBay).
(See http://tinyurl.com/6efhd)

I've been making liberal ringtone and graphic downloads since I got my
phone last weekend and I've only tranferred 100kb and maybe about $15
of graphics and ringtones. So, I think I'll be adding about $18 to my
next bill.

On the Cingular website it warns you that there will be data download
charges. Only thing, I can't find how much they actually charge per
kilobyte. If it's 3 cents a kilobyte, I'll be in good shape. I hope
it's more like 1 cent per kilobyte.

If you want to downloaded megabytes worth of stuff, I'd get the
MediaNet $19.99 package.

--
jarofclay73
jarofclay73's Profile: http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&us...