High cost of moving data how can you afford this?

This is actually an issue I have with AT&T but I expect the same thing
applies to Cingular.
I recently downloaded 2 pictures for wallpaper and a few ring tones to my
new cell phone out of curiosity, to see how they would sound and look on the
phone. At the AT&T ringtone/video download page there were lists of
ringtones that I could buy for around a dollar each and lists of pictures I
could buy for around $4 to $5. After downloading a few files I continued to
browse the AT&T website and wound up in the billing area. Under "My Minutes"
I saw entries for data download charges for around 950 KB for a cost of over
$25!
I called AT&T and was informed that even though the cost of a picture file
(jpg) was $4, I had to pay normal download rates of 3 cents per kilobyte.
That's $30 per megabyte! I asked the service rep to show me where on the
ringtone page it warned me that I would be charged such an outlandish rate.
Sure enough, she pointed me to a sentence way down on the bottom of 3 pages
of scrolling that said "normal data transfer rates apply". Although, on that
page, I couldn't find the actual cost of a "normal data transfer rate".
Personally, I feel that implying that an item costs $4 when in fact it ends
up costing 2 or 3 times that is legally and ethically questionable at best.
I certainly will never download anything again and will take steps to ensure
mMode is deactivated, lest I accidentally access mMode and end up with a
bill for $50 for "normal data transfer rates".
Since it could be argued that all the information needed to determine the
actual costs of moving data is available, however circuitous the route, I
guess that AT&T is not doing anything illegal (which explains why the
service rep pretty much said word to the effect of "tough you bought it, you
own it - no refunds"). My bigger question is how can anyone afford to do
this? I see lots of commercials about downloading information via internet
or taking and sending photos with the phone but it seems that this would be
incredibly expensive at $30 per MB. Is anyone else incensed at these costs
that boarder on usury? I just saw an article on the development of wireless
phone based TV. My God, how much would it cost to watch a 30 min TV show on
your phone? (Never mind why would anyone want to?)
By the way, I decided to calculate how much it would cost me to fill my hard
drive at 3 cents per kilobyte. Good news, it would only cost $3,330,000!

--
I have put junk in my email address to evade the spammers.
Please take the junk out before replying.

    Check out Media works:

    https://www.cingular.com/media/media_purchase

    Unlimited data $19.95 but I would find another way to backup your hard drive
    :-)

    I agree that this is pretty sleazy. File a complaint with the BBB, and I'm
    pretty sure you'll get the data transfer charges refunded.

    > I agree that this is pretty sleazy. File a complaint with the BBB, and
    I'm
    > pretty sure you'll get the data transfer charges refunded.

    Sleazy that he should actually pay for something he recieved. The very same
    something the HE AGREED to pay for at that very same rate? I've always been
    told "ignorance is no excuse" but I guess in your case that's wrong.

    Here's an internet dollar. --->$1<--- Go buy a clue.

    --
    SS

    In <34a9p7F3u5nrpU1@individual.net> on Sat, 8 Jan 2005 08:40:51 -0600,
    "Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:

    >> I agree that this is pretty sleazy. File a complaint with the BBB, and I'm
    >> pretty sure you'll get the data transfer charges refunded.
    >
    >Sleazy that he should actually pay for something he recieved. The very same
    >something the HE AGREED to pay for at that very same rate?

    No, sleazy in the case of extra charges not being clearly disclosed in
    advance.

    >I've always been
    >told "ignorance is no excuse" but I guess in your case that's wrong.

    That doesn't apply to contract law. A contract is only binding when agreed to
    by both parties, and courts have taken a dim view of fine print in this
    context. Cingular has an obligation to warn subscribers about data charges
    given that it has enabled data by default and made it all too easy to
    unknowingly access data; otherwise the charges probably aren't enforceable.

    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice. Consult your
    own attorney.

    >Here's an internet dollar. --->$1<--- Go buy a clue.

    I suggest you take your own advice, with regard to the law at least.

    "Jim" <kraskajunk@dakotacom.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    > this? I see lots of commercials about downloading information via internet
    > or taking and sending photos with the phone but it seems that this would
    be
    > incredibly expensive at $30 per MB. Is anyone else incensed at these costs
    > that boarder on usury? I just saw an article on the development of
    wireless
    > phone based TV. My God, how much would it cost to watch a 30 min TV show
    on
    > your phone? (Never mind why would anyone want to?)
    > By the way, I decided to calculate how much it would cost me to fill my
    hard
    > drive at 3 cents per kilobyte. Good news, it would only cost $3,330,000!
    >

    > --
    > I have put junk in my email address to evade the spammers.
    > Please take the junk out before replying.

    its a buisnesss..

    Hemera
    490 St-Joseph Boulevard
    Gatineau, Quebec
    Canada
    J8Y 3Y7

    North America: 1-819-772-2746
    International: 1-819-772-2746

    perhaps you called a 800 number and somehow got transfered?

    Actually, if you re-read my initial post, I did not directly agree to pay
    the data download charge. I assumed that the data download charge applied to
    people who used their cell phone link as a network connection device and
    were transferring files, documents, spreadsheets, etc. I assumed that since
    I was purchasing a ringtone or photo to be used on my phone, from the
    company that supplied my wireless service, that the advertised price would
    be a one-time fixed charge.
    You are correct, ignorance is no excuse, but my ignorance does not give you
    license to make a rude and disdainful response. By the way, you can keep the
    dollar.

    --

    wrote:

    >This is actually an issue I have with AT&T but I expect the same thing
    >applies to Cingular.
    >I recently downloaded 2 pictures for wallpaper and a few ring tones to my
    >new cell phone out of curiosity, to see how they would sound and look on the
    >phone. At the AT&T ringtone/video download page there were lists of
    >ringtones that I could buy for around a dollar each and lists of pictures I
    >could buy for around $4 to $5. After downloading a few files I continued to
    >browse the AT&T website and wound up in the billing area. Under "My Minutes"
    >I saw entries for data download charges for around 950 KB for a cost of over
    >$25!

    Sign up for the Media Works package and get your revenge. ;)

    --
    Friends don't let friends shop at Best Buy (except to buy loss leaders for resale on eBay).
    (See http://tinyurl.com/6efhd)

    I've been making liberal ringtone and graphic downloads since I got my
    phone last weekend and I've only tranferred 100kb and maybe about $15
    of graphics and ringtones. So, I think I'll be adding about $18 to my
    next bill.

    On the Cingular website it warns you that there will be data download
    charges. Only thing, I can't find how much they actually charge per
    kilobyte. If it's 3 cents a kilobyte, I'll be in good shape. I hope
    it's more like 1 cent per kilobyte.

    If you want to downloaded megabytes worth of stuff, I'd get the
    MediaNet $19.99 package.

    --
    jarofclay73
    jarofclay73's Profile: http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=69007

Cingular At&T Internet Service Providers