Internal HD Tuner and DirecTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b Ô Samsung
January 19, 2005 4:27:19 PM

I recently purchased a Samsung 26" Widescreen DynaFlat HTDV with
Built-In HD Tuner. Do I need to purchase a separate DirecTV HD Receiver
to get HD service since I already have the tuner? Or will my built-in
tuner only work for over-the-air broadcasts?

More about : internal tuner directv

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
January 19, 2005 9:04:50 PM

hopefully someone more educated than I can correct me if I'm wrong, but you
should be set to receive OTA and from DirecTV.
<wrburgess@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a Samsung 26" Widescreen DynaFlat HTDV with
> Built-In HD Tuner. Do I need to purchase a separate DirecTV HD Receiver
> to get HD service since I already have the tuner? Or will my built-in
> tuner only work for over-the-air broadcasts?

January 20, 2005 1:24:42 AM

<wrburgess@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a Samsung 26" Widescreen DynaFlat HTDV with
> Built-In HD Tuner. Do I need to purchase a separate DirecTV HD Receiver
> to get HD service since I already have the tuner? Or will my built-in
> tuner only work for over-the-air broadcasts?

Your built in tuner will work for OTA digital and may also work for
unencrypted QAM channels over cable. For Directv you will need to purchase
equipment.
a b Ô Samsung
January 20, 2005 9:48:35 PM

Let me clarify my question:

Do I need a DirecTV HD Tuner specifically? Or can my current, basic
DirecTV receiver decode the signal and my built-in HD Tuner be utilized
for the HD channels?

I already had the OTA working. I am just wondering if the built-in HD
tuner can be utilized without buying an additional tuner for DirecTV
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
January 20, 2005 10:35:48 PM

wrburgess@gmail.com wrote:

> I recently purchased a Samsung 26" Widescreen DynaFlat HTDV with
> Built-In HD Tuner. Do I need to purchase a separate DirecTV HD Receiver
> to get HD service since I already have the tuner? Or will my built-in
> tuner only work for over-the-air broadcasts?

Hook up an UHF antenna and you should be able to receive local OTA HDTV
for free if it available in your area!

To receive DirecTV HD or DirecTV SD you always need to have some sort of
a DirecTV receiver.
January 21, 2005 7:03:52 AM

> Let me clarify my question:
>
> Do I need a DirecTV HD Tuner specifically?

Yes

> DirecTV receiver decode the signal and my built-in HD Tuner be utilized
> for the HD channels?

No

> I already had the OTA working. I am just wondering if the built-in HD
> tuner can be utilized without buying an additional tuner for DirecTV

No

Your integrated tuner is for HD OTA and cable. Most integrated tuners will
also tune non premium HD (local) channels for cable. And at no extra charge.
The integrated tuner has NOTHING to do with Directv reception.

Get out your cash or major credit card cause you need a Directv HD reciever
to recieve HD channels and the proper dish.

Or save some bucks and be happy you got the HD locals Directv don't, and
when they do they won't be free.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
January 21, 2005 11:29:25 AM

Thanks for the answers. I'm clear on the need for a DirecTV HD Receiver
now.

My next question pertains to the DVR part. The DirecTV HD DVR is
grossly overpriced (well, for me, that is). I can afford a plain-old
DirecTV HD Receiver, but can you utilize a non-HD DVR device and then
you just don't get to watch recorded shows in HD quality?
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
January 21, 2005 6:12:18 PM

If you purchase the DirecTV HDTV Tivo, it includes, besides the digital
recorder, 4 HDTV tuners (2 for DirecTV and 2 for local channels (over
the air). Once you have a digital recorder, you will never go back to
watching live TV.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
January 22, 2005 1:10:45 AM

In article <1106324965.619185.307040@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
wrburgess@gmail.com wrote:

> My next question pertains to the DVR part. The DirecTV HD DVR is
> grossly overpriced (well, for me, that is). I can afford a plain-old
> DirecTV HD Receiver, but can you utilize a non-HD DVR device and then
> you just don't get to watch recorded shows in HD quality?

If you get a non-recording HD receiver from DirecTV, you can watch HD
material, but unless you buy an HD VCR, you can't record HD. If you buy
a non-HD DVR, you won't be able to watch any HD content from the
satellite.