Internal HD Tuner and DirecTV

I recently purchased a Samsung 26" Widescreen DynaFlat HTDV with
Built-In HD Tuner. Do I need to purchase a separate DirecTV HD Receiver
to get HD service since I already have the tuner? Or will my built-in
tuner only work for over-the-air broadcasts?
8 answers Last reply
More about internal tuner directv

    hopefully someone more educated than I can correct me if I'm wrong, but you
    should be set to receive OTA and from DirecTV.
    <wrburgess@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I recently purchased a Samsung 26" Widescreen DynaFlat HTDV with
    > Built-In HD Tuner. Do I need to purchase a separate DirecTV HD Receiver
    > to get HD service since I already have the tuner? Or will my built-in
    > tuner only work for over-the-air broadcasts?

    <wrburgess@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I recently purchased a Samsung 26" Widescreen DynaFlat HTDV with
    > Built-In HD Tuner. Do I need to purchase a separate DirecTV HD Receiver
    > to get HD service since I already have the tuner? Or will my built-in
    > tuner only work for over-the-air broadcasts?

    Your built in tuner will work for OTA digital and may also work for
    unencrypted QAM channels over cable. For Directv you will need to purchase
    equipment.

    Let me clarify my question:

    Do I need a DirecTV HD Tuner specifically? Or can my current, basic
    DirecTV receiver decode the signal and my built-in HD Tuner be utilized
    for the HD channels?

    I already had the OTA working. I am just wondering if the built-in HD
    tuner can be utilized without buying an additional tuner for DirecTV

    wrburgess@gmail.com wrote:

    > I recently purchased a Samsung 26" Widescreen DynaFlat HTDV with
    > Built-In HD Tuner. Do I need to purchase a separate DirecTV HD Receiver
    > to get HD service since I already have the tuner? Or will my built-in
    > tuner only work for over-the-air broadcasts?

    Hook up an UHF antenna and you should be able to receive local OTA HDTV
    for free if it available in your area!

    To receive DirecTV HD or DirecTV SD you always need to have some sort of
    a DirecTV receiver.

    > Let me clarify my question:
    >
    > Do I need a DirecTV HD Tuner specifically?

    Yes

    > DirecTV receiver decode the signal and my built-in HD Tuner be utilized
    > for the HD channels?

    No

    > I already had the OTA working. I am just wondering if the built-in HD
    > tuner can be utilized without buying an additional tuner for DirecTV

    No

    Your integrated tuner is for HD OTA and cable. Most integrated tuners will
    also tune non premium HD (local) channels for cable. And at no extra charge.
    The integrated tuner has NOTHING to do with Directv reception.

    Get out your cash or major credit card cause you need a Directv HD reciever
    to recieve HD channels and the proper dish.

    Or save some bucks and be happy you got the HD locals Directv don't, and
    when they do they won't be free.

    Thanks for the answers. I'm clear on the need for a DirecTV HD Receiver
    now.

    My next question pertains to the DVR part. The DirecTV HD DVR is
    grossly overpriced (well, for me, that is). I can afford a plain-old
    DirecTV HD Receiver, but can you utilize a non-HD DVR device and then
    you just don't get to watch recorded shows in HD quality?

    If you purchase the DirecTV HDTV Tivo, it includes, besides the digital
    recorder, 4 HDTV tuners (2 for DirecTV and 2 for local channels (over
    the air). Once you have a digital recorder, you will never go back to
    watching live TV.

    In article <1106324965.619185.307040@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    wrburgess@gmail.com wrote:

    > My next question pertains to the DVR part. The DirecTV HD DVR is
    > grossly overpriced (well, for me, that is). I can afford a plain-old
    > DirecTV HD Receiver, but can you utilize a non-HD DVR device and then
    > you just don't get to watch recorded shows in HD quality?

    If you get a non-recording HD receiver from DirecTV, you can watch HD
    material, but unless you buy an HD VCR, you can't record HD. If you buy
    a non-HD DVR, you won't be able to watch any HD content from the
    satellite.

HDTV Tuner HD Samsung Home Theatre